Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Flat pedals – how much??
  • johnhe

I’ve always thought that V12’s were a pretty good price for their performance. I need a new set of flats and the prices of most of the pedals in the stores are quite eye watering.

Do you really get substantially more performance for a pair of £80 – £100++ set of flat pedals over something like the V12’s?

It’s not as if most of the £100 pedals seem that light. 430 grams seems quite normal. So if folks aren’t paying the extra dough for lower weight, are these spendy pedals delivering substantially more grip, or durability or what?

Stevelol
    Free Member

No just buy some superstars and carry on riding 🙂 most ‘top end’ bike components these days seem to be unnecessarily expensive.

mikekay
    Free Member

Superstars are ok but the’re still not as grippy as Vaults, wouldn’t spend more than £80 though

sharkattack

Vaults are so good I ended up with two pairs. Didn’t pay full price whatever that is. Easy enough to find them reduced.

My oldest are at least five years old now I got them when they first came out. They’ve been on proper DH tracks all over Europe. I only ever ride flats and they’re by far my favourites so I got some for the hardtail to save me from swapping back and forth.

V12’s were great in the 90’s when it was that or Sharkbites or Beartaps or something but there’s so many better options now.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Superstars are really good , especially for 30quid which I think you can get them for at the moment. Vaults are slightly ‘comfier’ but I don’t think are worth the extra really.

midlifecrashes

I’d baulk at anywhere north of £15. V8s or Wellgo clones work great for me, maybe I’m not fussy or gnar enough.

jam1e
    Free Member

What you need is XPEDO XMX24MC Wellgo Magnesium Pedals the cheapest and lightest pedals (260g) you can get at £30. They have a big platform and are very thin.

If you need extra grip get some Twin Tip pins which are ace

Northwind

mikekay – Member

Superstars are ok but the’re still not as grippy as Vaults

Think this depends on your feet tbh- maybe Vaults get better as your feet get bigger because of that big platform, but I went back to my Nanos from Vaults, just thought they worked better.

honourablegeorge

Lots of brillian value flat pesals – the Sypersrar/CarbonCycles/Nukeproof generic ones are good.

I paid a bit more for my Vaults(about £70 IIRC), but worth it (to me) for the durability and the grip. Better feel for me than the others, my foot sinks into them

Plenty of lightweight options around, but they tend to be big money, and a lot of them sacrifice durability (looking at you, Point One)

gelert
    Free Member

+1 for Superstar flats at £24 a pair for the plastic ones (had the Nano’s before that). Super amounts of grip. Grip determined by shoes IMO. My Shimano AM flats have a little less grip than my Five Ten Freerider Elements. But feet rarely ever come off the pedals. I’ve done XC, Enduro and DH races on them. Wouldn’t even think to buy any other pedals TBH. I’ve bent a few pins, even replaced the odd pin but for £24 smash em up, buy new ones. Two paris still going fine after more than a year each now.

Use the saved money towards some Five Tens 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

DMR is all you need. I bought some trick FUNN pedals to convert to flats. Then had reason to borrow my daughter’s bike which had v8 fitted. Since gone out and bought 2 more pairs of v12.

Northwind

Anyone else using the RSP FTWs? I really like the pedal but one of mine has a recurring “going rattly” issue, it takes 2 minutes to sort but it’s annoying… Otherwise, good weight, good thickness, good grip, sensible price… Not the biggest but I have size 9s so I don’t need bigger.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Vaults are untouchable.

Get involved you won’t regret it

rewski
    Free Member

The new V12’s look like Vaults, however I’ve got my eyes on the Chromag Scarabs

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve always ran pretty cheap flats like Nano’s etc but have dabbled in slightly more expensive pedals recently.

The Spank Spikes I bought were really grippy, but I didn’t like the bulge where the axle was. They didn’t last very long as all – the bearings / DU bushes were allergic to water so I sacked them off.

I’ve recently bought some Vaults and so far really like them – I paid about £68 which is a lot, but the feel really nice and grip really well too.

jools182
    Free Member

They are ridiculously overpriced

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Yes, they are outrageously priced.

I bought some Spank Spike pedals and they lasted less than a year as the bearings seized. Went to get more bearings and was told they would take 2 months to come in. Rubbish.

I went and bought Hope. So far so good. Also, if they fail I know that Hope will step up.

I reckon the Superstar pedals were pretty good value though. I have a few of these on various bikes, alloy and plastic and they never let me down.

honourablegeorge

jam1e – Member
    What you need is XPEDO XMX24MC Wellgo Magnesium Pedals the cheapest and lightest pedals (260g) you can get at £30. They have a big platform and are very thin.

Now look what you’ve done. I went and bought those for my RoadRat.

tillydog
    Free Member

What you need is XPEDO

Ex-paedo?

kayla1
    Free Member

I like Wellgo V8 copies. They’re cheap and grippy and I’ll show my arse in Fenwick’s window if I can feel 100g difference in weight on my pedals. No blingy logos though…

zero-cool
    Free Member

Superstar Nao pedals are great. The newer Nano X’s come up pretty big. I’ve currently got a pair of their old Ultra Mags with Ti axles and a standard pair of nanos, both old and still going strong. New seal/bearing kits are pretty cheap as well.

Other brands may be flashier but not necessarily better. My favourites are Burgtec Penthouse Flats but they are £££

Tom KP

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve used Superstar pedals, with no real issues.
    Currently have Shimano Saints on my trail bike. On the second pair in less than 10 months, first pair had ridiculous play in them in no time. Going to see how the warranty replacement hack it. If they do as well as previous experience suggests, then I’ll be back to my all time favourite and longest lasting pedal I’ve ever had ….
    Gusset Slim Jim magnesium ones. About £ 60 / pair. Light. Fully and easily serviceable, my first pair did way over 7000 miles, until I screwed up by stripping a nut, when trying to undo it wrong way. Have them on my fatbike now and wish I’d specced them on my new bike.

Alex

Superstar Mags I really liked but they were beaten to death during a rocky week in France. Really liked the Uberbike £40 hammerheads, cheap, light and thin but they had a recall and no replacements available.

Ended up with some Fireeye which I really like, take a beating, pretty light and I’ve removed some of the pins as they were too damn grippy. CRC sale about £40

Saints are heavy and the bearing life isn’t great.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

V12’s – ahhh the good old goto pedal of choice. Lethal if you catch yourself on them but the grippiest around.
    I bought a set of blingy Hopes and by god the quality is incredible but by god was it tricky/time consuming to install pins with tiny allen key.
    They don’t grip as good as my V12’s which was slightly concerning but do a goodish job. I expect durability of bearings to be better though.

I do like Deity compounds for the fact it brings weight down a tad, cheaper and come in funky colours plus fact they skim over obstacles if you catch my drift.

Goodness forbid ever spending on a set of Burgtecs Ti spindle ones.
    :O

pickle
    Free Member

Superstar Nano X here and they’re really nice and grippy, come with two sets of screws so you can use the longer ones if you want mega grippy

sofaboy73
    Free Member

depends what you like riding, for normal trail duties the superstar ones are pretty good, if you like it a bit rougher or a bit more gravity focused i swear by the vaults. i don’t think you should skimp on pedals as personally i think they’re one of the most important parts of the bike – they’re a key contact point and you control the bike a hell of lot with your feet so why go cheap & cheerful. however paying over £80/90 is a little ludicrous

benp1

The new V12s are great

I have have the Superstar nano-x pedals on my other MTB and to be honest, they feel as good

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m on my second set of Nukeproof Electrons, I’ve used loads of different types over the years, but for me these are the best.

Decent sized platform, loads of grip, very light, cheap – they do all this because they’re made of Nylon rather than some kind of alloy/metal. At first I was a bit snobby about plastic pedals, but as far as I’m concerned if I was designing the first ever flat pedal, I’d use Nylon, it’s the best material for them light, strong, cheap – what’s not to like?

packer
    Free Member

Agree on the Nukeproof nylon ones – they are great.

mechanicaldope

Superstar Nano X all the way. I would wince every time I smashed a pedal into a rock with anything more expensive than those.

batman11
    Free Member

Moved to flats a coup,e of years ago here did superstars ok, did Shimano saints yuk,,
    Burgtec mk4 for me with five ten shoes actually to much grip some times. £100 though! But 2 years use and still solid.

matther01
    Free Member

Used to use nanos but got pains in my feet as they were too flat. Moved to vaults and they have been so much comfier due to the concaved shape. I do fancy trying those new gamut podiums tho!

rickon
    Free Member

The problem I have with 90% of flat pedals is that the bearings and bushings last about 2 weeks of Scottish riding.

Vaults feel clumpy to me, as they’re too big. Spank pedals have been warrantied 3 times, lasting two rides between before all grease evaporated.

Nukeproof pedals were pretty good, not very grippy and a bit too fat for me.

The two best pedals I’ve used are the Raceface Atlas, although they’re very spinny now. And the Specialized Boomslang, which are superb… But you can’t use crank boots with them, which is pointless with a carbon crank.

Those Xpedos lasted a week or so for me before they developed sloppy play.

Hope have the second best bearings, (second to the boomslang’s), but… There too flat with no concavity. Changing the pins about does help, but still doesn’t get away from them being very flat.

patagonian
    Free Member

The new V12’s are excellent. Superstar Nanos are ok but I really don’t like the raised section over the axle.
    The “best” pedals I have would be the Wellgo MG1s, 5 years+ with no maintenance and still run like new.

I fact the Wellgo B24 & B27(?)s are also still going strong after many years of abuse and were really cheap.

Typing this has made me realise I should to buying Wellgo’s!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The problem I have with 90% of flat pedals is that the bearings and bushings last about 2 weeks of Scottish riding.

Only started riding flats 2 years ago. I still have the same pair of Nanos on one bike, and the only reason my vaults had to be changed last month on the other bike was cos I snapped one in the lakes, otherwise they’d be still on that bike too.

2 years of riding all weathers, in the west of Scotland.

I wouldn’t buy any pedal that has the exposed bearing sitting outside the pedal body, that’s such a stupid design.

Vaults felt way comfier and slighty grippier than the nanos, I’m just loathe to pay that money again tbh.

gelert
    Free Member

Agree on the Nukeproof nylon ones – they are great.

The Nukeproof Nylons are near identical to the Superstar El Plastique Pedals:
    Nukeproof | Superstar – spot the difference?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

For me, Nanos/Exotic are the only cheap pedal that has withstood the most winter slop riding, without much maintenance and without falling apart.

I do love the feel of Vaults when new but they don’t seem as durable as the Nanos. (I’ve ripped out too many of the pins and bent one of the axles on a rock impact. The bushing went sloppy pretty quickly in the other side too).

For ultimate durability, probably due to the ability to purge with grease, the Syntace No9 Titan is the best I’ve used.
    Silly money though – wouldn’t have ever considered buying if they hadn’t come with the bike.

thepodge
    Free Member

which of the exotic ones are people recommending? they see, to do loads

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve always liked the Easton Cully pedals…had them on my DH bike before it got nicked…my other bike had Wellgo V12 copies whch were decent but the grip was nowhere near the Cullys.
    then last year i managed to find a pair of Cullys on Ebay and managed to get them for £8…the seller reckoned they were dead but all they needed was a re-grease and some new O-rings

if the Cullys do eventually die then i’ll probably look at the Vaults or a pair of Hope pedals

ooOOoo
    Free Member

bought the original Crampons and despite the pedal/axle squeak, I’ve loved them for the thinness & big fat platform.

Crazy money but 6 years old now and still running, with one bearing change, which equates to good value. Though the bearings are now screwed and looks like they have stopped selling them…

Anyone tried the new crampons?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals – how much??’ is closed to new replies.