Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Flat Pedals for XC please?
  • tlr

What are good flat XC pedals these days please?

My wife is still using DMR V8s, which are fine, but pretty portly at 500g+, so which light, XC orientated flat pedals should I be looking at?

ta.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Wellgo MG1’s are pretty popular with us – lighter than V12’s, cheaper than V12’s, similar shape if she’s comfortable with that.

The new Gamut pedals are really light, however the pins are about 12 feet long and look ready to ruin the shins of most unarmoured riders.

isitafox
    Free Member

You can pick up some MG1 copies on eBay for next to nothing which are identical (some even come packaged in Wellgo boxes), I’d go for some of them. Will try and find a link!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I heard that if you buy them from China rather than an LBS, kittens literally explode as soon as they get within 10 feet of you, showering you with gory kittenbits, and the very real chance of losing an eye to a high velocity baby cat tooth.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

That’s it, I’m calling the RSPCA!

isitafox
    Free Member

Lol, I didn’t even see the kitten exploding thing before I wrote boom in the reply!

smatkins1
    Free Member

DMR Vault [Mg] Superlight Flat Pedals with Ti axles.

Claim to be the lightest large platform flat pedal weighing in at 290g

RRP £199!!!! (£160 at CRC)

Just to suggest something at the other end of the scale to these Wellgo copy Chinese kitten killing eBay suggestions.

prezet
    Free Member

Vaults

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

IME vaults are quite… bendy

akak
    Free Member

Do they have to be metal? I have some Dartmoor candy pro, seem okay no idea about longevity yet.

hatter

The Gamuts are 295 grams a pair so are a whole 5 grams more than the Ti/Mag Vaults for pretty much half the price.

They’re not out until the the first week of April though.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

You can use the money you save to get shinpads!

hatter

In my experience the pedals that do you a mischief are actually the less spikey ones as they’re the ones your feet slip off.

I still have some pretty intriguing shin scars from my old Bear Traps which weren’t that grippy but virtually none from my later Easton Flat Boys which I ran with properly vicious extra long pins on the corners in my DH days.

That said, if I’d ever pulled a shinner on the Eastons they’d have probably have had to amputate the leg.

kayak23

Superstar El Plastique pedals.
    340g

I’ve been using them on my Mega now for nearly a year. Not as grippy as some metal platforms but they do have metal pins and are still plenty grippy.
    Nice and light too, oh, and nice and cheap at 25 bob…

adds

I had the v8’s for years 10 + I reckon and just swapped to some of the new v12’s. Not the mag one’s and im very happy. Lighter than the v8 and slimmer but just super grippy.

Northwind

Didn’t like the plastic pedals myself, the sticky-out axle is a terrible idea.

MG1s for light but fat, some sort of Nano for thin but heavier, pretty much anything else for “barely any better and far more expensive”

adds

smatkins1
    Free Member

IME vaults are quite… bendy

I’m sure XC use isn’t going to push them beyond their limits. I’d love to hear how you bent yours.

The new V12 Mag’s are 350g and are reasonably priced. I’ve got both new style V12s and Vaults and both are lovely and grippy.

philb88
    Free Member

Canfield crampon pedals look nice and light. Not sure on cost though

http://canfieldbrothers.com/components/pedals

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I’m sure XC use isn’t going to push them beyond their limits. I’d love to hear how you bent yours.
    The new V12 Mag’s are 350g and are reasonably priced. I’ve got both new style V12s and Vaults and both are lovely and grippy.

I’ve never bent any as I don’t run flats.
    I did have a succession come back for warranty though all bent, although I was assured by Upgrade that they had not heard of it happening to anyone else…

Stevet1
    Free Member

New style V12’s are my favourite flat pedal, and I’ve tried loads including crampons, Vaults, Wellgo MG1’s, Flatboys etc.
    Doesn’t mean they’ll suit you of course e.g. some people swear by vaults but I found them too big – couldn’t wrap my feet around them.

philb88
    Free Member

On-One have some new flats out soon according to today’s Facebook post!

tlr

Thanks all.

Kittens saved, Wellgos ordered.

julians
    Free Member

superstar delta evo magnesium with titanium axles apparently weigh 250g a pair, and they look pretty nice. not cheap though at £135, but the lightest usable looking pedal I could find.

I’ve just fitted a pair to my bike, first ride tonight, can report back if people are interested.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Magnesium medals are great, until you go near a rock & all the pins fall out.

Still, I’ve got some expensive pedal shaped ornaments for around the house 🙂

cakefacesmallblock

The very best pedals I’ve ever had, were Gusset Slim Jim magnesium ones. Never had a pin fall out and they are totally serviceable. Eventually the pins will wear, but can be replaced . Unfortunately I have retired mine for the time being as by the time I got to servicing them for the fifth time in about 6000 miles, I really did need a new pair of axle pins and I over tightened the nut on one , in an attempt to take out the last tiny bit of play and stripped the thread.
    That said though, light, easy to keep running like new and no pins fell out, or, come to that wore out. Just not certain they are still readily available.

Northwind

Hob Nob – Member

Magnesium medals are great, until you go near a rock & all the pins fall out.

Hardly ever lost a pin from my MG1s. The mg nanos are soft as butter though (which does make it easy to put new pins in, just cut a new thread!)

julians
    Free Member

Never had the pins fall out of the various magnesium pedals I’ve owned,and I ride some fairly Rocky trails once or twice a week.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Flat Pedals for XC please?’ is closed to new replies.