Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • flat pedals
  • rivirider
    Free Member

Decided to return to riding with flat pedals after loosing cofidence riding in spds, wanted to keep the spds but just not enjoying riding clipped in for some reason.
    What flats do you ride with??

wors

superstar nano's excellent. With skate shoes.

Mounty_73

I have decided to give flats another go too, not used them since I was 22….having always used SPD'sm its going to feel a bit strange! 🙂

I have bought some V8's to give it a go.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Shimano DX because they don't need maintenance, decent size with enough grip for anything but jumping/downhill use

U31
    Free Member

+1 for V8's..

benji_allen
    Free Member

Nano's here too.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

wellgo mg1 ti on trail bike and dmr v12 on dh bike. feet came off twice the other on the v12's – rolled off not slipped. first time i've thought about a thinner profile.

jedi

i like large platform pedals (azonic afames etc)

fivespot
    Free Member

http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/ht-components-magnesium-mn06ss-nano-flat-pedal-277-p.asp

Got these ones with Ti axles for £86, very slim & only 295g, superb pedals so far. As far as I am aware they are the same ones Nuke Proof are selling for £149.

Prior to these , I had been running V12's for the last 2 years. Super tough and reliable, but no where near a comfy to use as the Nano's.

stevede
    Free Member

Don't get v8/v12's unless you have small feet, quite a small platform. V8's are loose ball bearings as well, you can grease them via a grease port but i'd avoid them personally. I have nano's which are every bit as good as the easton flatboys they replaced without the massive weight penalty and they are cheaper, just got myself a 2nd pair from the classifieds for the hardtail too.

5lab

v8s. why pay £100 for a pair of pedals when £18 will get some that work just as well. no point greasing them, just run for 2 years and replace

MrNutt
    Free Member

these:

GW
    Free Member

V8s are pretty shite TBH. weak axles and a quirky shape IME.
    if you are looking for the cheapest, you'll find better shaped loose ball bearing wellgo flats for a tenner

Bagstard
    Free Member

MrNutt, those look so good I just ordered myself a pair! £37.99 posted!

Coyote
    Free Member

Currently using Crank Bros 50/50XX and liking them. Bigger platform that the V8s they replaced.

mountainposture

DMR V 12s with old Inov8 trail shoes which work well for me. I've never noticed the platform size being an issue but I have size 6 1/5 feet so that might be why.

stuey
    Free Member

Bagstard – where did you find those for £38 ?

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Wellgo Mg1's off ebay for £30. Very light and strong, quality with my Adidas originals.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Stuey, just got them from Rutland cycles on ebay!

My MG1's only lasted a few months before they started creaking and the platform isn't overly big. The outland pedals weigh the same as MG1's, but are stronger, slimmer and have a nice sized platform. Nice looking too!

stuey
    Free Member

Thanks Bagstard

Northwind

DMR pedals are overpriced for what you get… I'm using Wellgo MG1s on both bikes, they're pretty light and well priced but far tougher than you'd expect from a cast mag pedal. And of course, Wellgo make the DMR pedals!

I think I'd be tempted to try the HT pedals if I needed another set, from whatever source was cheapest on the day, or whoever had the nicest colours.

Bagstard, do you not find the lack of pins an issue on those Outlands?

dandan
    Free Member

sanderson magnesiums

MrNutt
    Free Member

lack of pins in not really an issue on the overlands, they feel a tad odd when you first get them but I've found them to be as, if not more grippy than the wellgo mags they replaced!

Northwind

Hmm, interesting. cheers!

jonb
    Free Member

I have wellgo mg1s which are nice but I think fragile. The others are nano through bins and they have been great.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Point1 podium flats.

undapressure
    Free Member

Kona wah wah's

jackal
    Free Member

dandan – Member
    sanderson magnesiums

Sanderson mags = wellgo mg1's, can't believe bike shops try and sell these at inflated prices just because they have a name other than wellgo on them.

Flat pedals i've used over the last couple of decades;
    Club roost 2d bear trap type pedals; Erm, I liked them at the time 😆
    Dmr v8/12s; Too small a platform and too thick compared to modern day pedals.
    Azonic a frames; Good wide platform but not mega grippy.
    Atomlab aircorps (i think); Nice shape, nice and thin, but play developed ridiculously quick in them.
    Shimano dx's; Nice and grippy, quite thick tho, and the small pins shear and bend too easily, bearings lasted ages.
    Kona wah wah's; Really good shape, thin(ish) profile, grippy, but my r/h pedal came off the axle mid dh run and haven't used them since!
    Wellgo mg1's; nice and light, cheap, better shape than the v12's, but developed play after a few months.
    Strailines; Currently running these on the dh bike, huge platform, super grippy, runs bushes not bearings tho and having not had a full winter on them I can't comment on longevity.

If money was no object then get some burgtec penthouse flats, they are a little heavy tho.

😀

Xylene
    Free Member

Wellgo V8 copies.

Not sure what this big feet thing is about, I have size 12's and they seem to fit my feet ok.

GRAEMEJONES

Superstar nano's
    Recently changed from v12's, and finding these a far better pedal. More support,and seem to be more grippier .

jackal
    Free Member

Those nano's look quite a good pedal eh.
    Was just admiring your bike in the show us you bike thread graeme 8)

thinboy70
    Free Member

Its all about the Easton flatboys, good size and last ages

Dirtynap
    Free Member

+1 for the outlands. They are a tiny bit heavier than superstars and don't have as many pins but they are really thin and provide enough grip. I have been running them on my DH rig for well over a year, and I have converted many riders to them.

Nanos are great aswell, just be careful with the Ti axle though. I bent a Ti axle after the first ride. I weigh 90kg in my riding gear and sent one over a 20ft table and landed on tne flat.
    Shimano DX's are good also, heavy but very grippy and very strong.

I have a spare set of V12's in silver if anyone wants them for £10 posted.

loulouk
    Free Member

V8's and skater girl shoes. Feet not left the pedals once. Shin interface without pads causes entertaining gouges though, be warned.

GRAEMEJONES

Jackal..Thanks for that, it is a great bike. The rides I have done on it so far, I couldn't have got down any quicker on my 5. The only time it felt a bit out of its depth was on the 5 Passes in a day we did in the Lakes,that has been the only time I have felt "underbiked". Still damn good for something with "only" 120 / 100 mm of travel though.
    A perfect bike for Peak Disrict type stuff, although you do have to pick your line more when going down Cavedale 😳

_tom_
    Free Member

I've used the cheapest wellgo's you can get (about a tenner) for years, on bmx as well. Never had any issues, don't see the point in spending any more.

Radioman

I always use Shimano DX. great bearings that can take XC grinding mud & wet aswell as FR use.

Servicing is amazingly easy too. Just unscrew, wipe with rag & put fresh grease in, then screw back up. They are designed so when you screw them back together the fresh grease forces the old stuf out.

Servicing takes about 10mins per pedal max. If you do that once a year they last for ages.

superfinlay
    Free Member

Don't quite get flatties – have tried but cannot seem to find the magic glue required to maintain foot/pedal contact throughout the whole pedal stroke; am I missing something, are they just for going downhill or do people get on with these X-country too?

jam-bo

I ride flats for dh, xc, dj and I've even got them on the road bike I'm borrowing at the moment.

DX's are good, not destroyed a pair yet which is a good sign…

Euro
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member

I've used the cheapest wellgo's you can get (about a tenner) for years, on bmx as well. Never had any issues, don't see the point in spending any more.

Amen.

Whatever came on the bikes when I bought them (wellgos on the xc and DH bikes and V8s on the jump bike). Size 11 feet and very rarely have any unexpected 'feet of the pedal' moments. I use TK Max special shoes too.

I'm sure that fancy dan pedals coupled with 5-10s would give me more grip, but it's a fair chunk of cash to spend, on something that I frankly don't need.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.