Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Flat Pedal Suggestions
  • andybanks
    Free Member

Hi,

Made myself a promise to dust off the old hardtail and actually get back out and ride this year.

Before I buy some new flat pedals, what is the current favourite/recommendations for under £50?

Thanks

letitreign
    Free Member

For under £50.00, I’d say DMR V12’s. Had them on quite a few bikes now, never once had any issues, they spin freely, never seize up, the design is good (as in the platform/where the pins are). Only thing I’d suggest is, get the silver ones (ok so they might not be your first choice of colour if you want to go down the whole ‘matchy matchy’ route) but you can scuff the hell out of them and they will not loose the original colour, as in chip the paint off and look tatty after a while, having said all that, any flat pedal no matter what price you pay is pretty useless unless you team them up with some decent flat MTB shoes as well.

submarined
    Free Member

Superstar Nanos. Much prefer the feel to the v12s on my other bike.
    New bearings after a few hundred miles at 15 quid, but other than that, they’ve taken an awful lot of abuse very well.

aidensmith
    Free Member

I have a pair of Nukeproof Neutrons and they are good looking and very grippy. I’d suggest picking up a pair of flat mountain bike shoes to go with them as they will provide you with a lot more drip.

I’ve a pair of DMR V8 pedals in blue that are in good condition and you can have them for very little. They’re sitting doing nothing, so you’d welcome to them.

andybanks
    Free Member

Thanks everyone

@aidensmith – I’m not overly concerned about colour matching, but unfortunately blue is probably the only colour that wouldn’t go with my bike. Thanks though

crankrider
    Free Member

submarined – Member

Superstar Nanos. Much prefer the feel to the v12s on my other bike.
    New bearings after a few hundred miles at 15 quid, but other than that, they’ve taken an awful lot of abuse very well.

Not sure how you can reccomend a product you had to re-build at your cost within a very short period? – At RRP plus £15.00 and your time you are at around the same cost as a set of Vaults (of course SS do constant sale prices so that may not be the case)

Now the Superstar pedals are £50.00 and not the bargain they were I would go for the Nukeproof Horizon at £62.00 on CRC – I have been very impressed with them and they get great reviews.

submarined
    Free Member

Because the Superstars normally come in at about 30 quid in their weekly special offers, have been through an astonishing amount of grime, and lasted about the same time as any other pedal my friends and I have tried in crappy conditions. I’ve had mates with v12s, v8s, and vaults all fail in various ways, seen Horizons drop off the axle, Shimano snap axles, etc etc. The only ones I’ve seen that haven’t failed yet are Burgtecs, but, like Chester’s, they’re are out of the OPs budget 🙂

I was also going by the shape, which is admittedly a very personal thing, but I much prefer the platform on my Nanos to the Chesters I tried.

My v12s have needed regreasing as well, btw.

Phil_H

Carboncycles.cc alloy flats £34. Very similar to the nukeproof & nano pedals.
    I’m happy enough with the ones I’ve got on my DH bike.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Now the Superstar pedals are £50.00 and not the bargain they were

Does anyone ever pay that? They discount so often I’d always wait for a 20%, 25% or 33% code to come along

crankrider
    Free Member

crankrider – Member (of course SS do constant sale prices so that may not be the case)

Do you guys practice selective reading?

Phil_H – Member

I’m happy enough with the ones I’ve got on my DH bike.

The carboncycles pedals are the same HT pedals that superstar used to sell before going UK made (and arguably the quality went down not up with one side tighter than the other and wearing internals in no time at all) – For less than £35.00 they are a complete bargain.

submarined – Member

My v12s have needed regreasing as well, btw.

re-greasing and rebuilding are different things, I imagine poor assembly could be one of the reasons one side runs tighter than the other and they fail after a short period of time – you have likely re-built them to a better standard.

Bez

Last flats I bought were Wellgo B144s, because they’re big, slim, grippy and come in amazeballs colours. (I went for the green, which is a sort of radioactive lime. Awesome. Want some purple ones but apparently there were only 50 pairs made. *sadface*) £36. Bargin.

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/32842/Wellgo-B144-Platform-Pedal

bigbloke
    Free Member

Used loads of flat pedals and found I really like the HT ANS-01 pedals. Great grip, light and seem durable.

submarined
    Free Member

Christ, why the need for aggro? I gave my preference, and my reasons. I don’t work for SS, I’m a big fan of RF stuff, but my preference in my experience of my sort of riding and maintenance is that the SS were, objectively, a good buy. Rebuilding once a year on a hard ridden Enduro bike with a ham fisted user for 15 quid (and in about 20 minutes) is a-ok by me 🙂 YMMV.

kayak23

Go Outdoors currently have Nukeproof Electrons for £22 with the card.
    Picked up two pairs the other day.
    They’re dope.

Click clack

The Horizon Comp are £30-something, but side by side I preferred the Electrons anyway. Thinner and lighter(I think).

Rubber_Buccaneer

15 quid (and in about 20 minutes) is a-ok by me

The fact that the service kits are available and reasonably priced is a plus in my book

DezB
    Free Member

Phil_H –

These! I’ve had a set like forever, and the bearings are still perfect.
    My son’s adopted them, so bought myself a pair of the plastic ones (look almost identical to the Nukeproof above) and they feel the same as the alu.
    https://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=127&p=1770&tb=003

andybanks
    Free Member

Thanks all – going to give the Carbon Cycles ones a shot and see how I get on.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m prepared to believe that the Vaults may well be next level, never ridden a pair. I couldn’t recommend V8’s or V12’s on my personal experience though. I know they work for some, but really not for me

Also a vote for Superstar, although the old Nano/Nano Thru that are apparently the same as the OP’s winning pedal were great pedals for me too.

Northwind

I know you’re sorted but I really recommend the plastic Nukeproof Horizons- they’re light, thinnish, biggish, grippy, strong enough, and £34. I have a set of vaults and IMO they’re worse at everything except size.

The electrons are a bit picky about shoes ime, if you end up with any weight on the raised axle bit they lose a lot of grip.

kayak23

I was holding the Horizons and Electrons next to each other and couldn’t see much of a difference beyond the Horizons being thicker.

I wouldn’t say the Electrons had a raised central bit. More that the pedal drops and raises again between the edge and the axle, while the Horizons are flat all the way across. I imagine they’re the same axle.
    But anyway, not tried them yet so we’ll see.

Horizons

Electrons

Johnbot
    Free Member

Been blown away by One Up’s flat plastic jobbies, they are massive, thin, 35quid and weigh 355g which is way less than any others in that price range. I’m 85kg and race with them and have no issues in the 6 months i’ve had them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/oneup-components-comp-flat-mtb-pedals/rp-prod160925

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’ve had all versions of the Superstar Nano over the years

The original Nano and Nano thru were both very good (still got a set on one bike), bearing life, durability etc. were very impressive

The bearings on the Nano X are prone to developing play fairly quickly – mine had play in the axle after about 6 months use – the seal to where the bearing is doesn’t look that great to me

I’ve just bought the new Nano X Evo pedals which look like they have an improved design around the seal area – I got mine just before Christmas on one of their daily deals and paid about £33

Northwind

kayak23 – Member

I wouldn’t say the Electrons had a raised central bit.

You can see it in the picture. They’ve improved the design a lot though by texturing it and by thinning it in the middle. Basically the Horizon avoids it by being fatter

joebristol

I’m really liking the Carbon Cycles Exotic alloy flat pedals

https://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=84&p=940&tb=001#top

Just over £33 with a nice machined alloy pedal body and smooth bearings. Been running them since May and they’ve taken a fair amount of abuse. Rock strikes a plenty, 2 crashes and a fair few very muddy and manky weather bike rides. Still straight and smooth and they don’t look any the worse for wear.

clevertrevor
    Free Member

V12 mags for me and was about £42 from tredz fairly recent IIRC

gerti
    Free Member

Love my Nukeproof Protons, but they don’t do them anymore, so I’ve just ordered a set of Neutron/Electron EVOs to try.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

As a total pedal snob, i’m amazed with the Horizon Comps I’ve been running for the best part of a year now.

They are quite a chunk bigger than the Electron under foot – which my girlfriend has on her bike. Suits me with bigger feet. They have been battered and raced on now for 12 months and still spin freely. The only damaged is the plastic pins on the outside edge of the middle, but they don’t do anything anyway.

My Vaults would have needed 3 rebuilds in the same time frame.

wagenwheel

These are £45 with the code JANPO30. Not a recommendation, just thought they looked good. Linky

Northwind

@Wagenwheel, those look like they’ll have the same issue as the AE01 (which Steele also sold)- the bearings in the endcap lasted literally hours. Interesting design though

coolhandluke
    Free Member

More than happy with my Electrons,
    Light, cheap, strong
    Grippy too.

ta11pau1

joebristol – Member
    I’m really liking the Carbon Cycles Exotic alloy flat pedals

https://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=84&p=940&tb=001#top

Just over £33 with a nice machined alloy pedal body and smooth bearings. Been running them since May and they’ve taken a fair amount of abuse. Rock strikes a plenty, 2 crashes and a fair few very muddy and manky weather bike rides. Still straight and smooth and they don’t look any the worse for wear.

Does the colour stay on these or does it wear off like with most flat pedals?

Basically wondering if it’s worth going for one of the colours or if they’ll just be back to silver after a few months.

Bigmantrials

Next ones I am going to give a shot are the Kona Wah Wah 2 composite

Bikemag Review

jonesyboy

Carbon cycle ones here, 3 years old and zero maintenance so far. Also not made of plastic which can only be a good thing 😉

mindmap3
    Free Member

The original Nano pedals were good, not the best grip but great value and the few pairs I had lasted really, really well.

I’m now on Vaults and can’t fault them after two years. The ones on my trail bike are getting a bit rough now, but they’ve been used in the wet a lot and the ones on the Demo are a tad battered but still smooth. The grip is very very good and they feel really nice underfoot.

Northwind

jonesyboy – Member

Also not made of plastic which can only be a good thing

Because?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Flat Pedal Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.