Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Flat pedal shoes – AM7 or Freerider ELC
  • philstone

I’m looking for some new flat pedal shoes – my go to choice is clipped (with AM9s) however every now and then I have a play with flats (DMR Vaults). Currently on some old Freerider 5.10s, but yesterday they got absolutely soaked and are still drying!

So I want some flat shoes with a velcro lace cover. AM7 looks to be the winner, however I’ve heard they’re not as grippy as the 5.10’s – has anyone got any experience as to how less grippy? Is it massive or not that noticeable? The alternative is the ELC 5.10’s but 1. they’re much more expensive and 2. those colours!

Any advice?

Cheers!

legend
    Free Member

They aren’t great but useable when keeping some water out is a preferred option. If you happen to be a EUR42 I’ll sell you a pair for £50…..

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

AM7s grip are terrible compared to 5.10s. If you want waterproofing look at the Freerider EPS

Rubber_Buccaneer

AM7 are not grippy, the bike radar review sums them up well. Also, that flap is great for stopping splashes etc but does not make them in any way waterproof. Shame, as apart from the sole they do make a great pair of shoes. When they get plastered in mud I’ve chucked them in the washing machine and they come out looking new and dry relatively quickly.

I can’t recommend them though, I may send them off for a stealth rubber resole. I have bought some 5.10 ELC despite the horrible colours but haven’t tried them yet as I’m saving them for sunnier times.

I have also used Giro Jackets and Teva Links and thought they were fine

philstone

Thanks all. Think the AM7s are out.

Anyone got any experience with the Elements? They don’t look so… loud.

andybrad

ive got the vxi impacts and the AM7

the AM7 have rubbish soles. They dont grip when wet.

however they are better in every other way than the 5:10 so i wear them all the time.

andyrm
    Free Member

I tried the AM7 for a winter shoe – fit is nice, uppers great, stiffness great, grip appalling. When you’re used to Five Ten, it’s a really obvious step backwards. I use Specialized Boomslangs, so a really grippy pedal.

I’m about to get my AM7’s skimmed so I can bond on a Stealth resole kit….. will report back in a few weeks.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Neither… Vaude Moab Mid Stx AM – quite a mouthful, granted, but they are waterproof, grippy on the pedal (but with some token toe and heel grip for walking bits) and comfy.

Very impressed with mine, although I had to import them from Germany!

Northwind

I haven’t used the ELC, if it’s an Element with a flap which some people say is all it is, then it’s going to be good. But some other people say it’s got a stiffer sole, which might not be so good.

Standard Freerider Element is an OK winter flat shoe, which is about as good as it gets really short of the OWN or a resoled waterproof shoe.

(the new EPS forgot the waterproofing! Ridiculous tbh. I’m plastering mine with shoe waterproofing gunk so we’ll see what that does)

Rubber_Buccaneer

I think, based on standing in a shop bending them, that any extra stiffness just comes from the stiffer upper on the ELC. I may be wrong but I expect that to ease with a little use

Stevelol
    Free Member

I got some Freerider elements recently (for £60 or so, good deal), and had my first ride on them yesterday.

They’re comfortable, sole is not too stiff, feels similar to 5.10 impacts. Grip is obviously great, it’s possible to move your feet a bit which I like (using DMR v12s).

My left one got absolutely soaked, I’ve left some packing paper in it overnight and put it under the radiator (not close, and radiator has only been on for about 1 hour since yesterday in total).

Today the shoe is almost dry, I’ve just replaced the paper and put it in the window to finish off.

It’s a shoe, so it’s gonna stay wet for a while like most shoes, but it doesn’t seem quite as bad as the impacts used to do.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve had AM40, Teva Links, Element VXi and now Element ELC. The VLC keep the weather out most, then the VXi, then the AM40 then the Links. They all dry pretty quickly, I think the 5.10s are quickest (unlike old 5.10s).

Sole stiffness is all in the same ballpark, the ELC stiffest, then AM40, then Links, then VXi. That’s with the stiffer insole inserts in the AM40s.

The Links are the comfiest shoes I’ve ever owned, I miss them! The ELC are nice though, not as cushy but better for pedalling. The tongue is stiffer on the normal Elements which isn’t so nice on your ankles when pedalling. The AM40 had a narrower forefoot and weren’t as comfy.

The VXi are the stickiest, the ELC close behind, then the Links and AM40 a fair way behind. The VXi soles have not been at all durable, I got a warranty replacement and then had to keep regluing both pairs. The ELC sole feels way more solid and is stitched to the upper all the way around – they’ve only had a month’s use but I’m pretty hopeful!

philstone

Thanks.

chiefgrooveguru – when you say the tongue is stiffer on the Elements – is this compared to the ELC or on the ELC compared to normal 5.10s?

Cheers

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I have been a flat pedal user for years. Used Shimano AM 41s which were the old style AM7s. My last pair lasted 7 years abuse so I was looking at the AM7 as a replacement but the fit and feel just wasn’t as good.
    Anyway looked around and found some Specialized 2fo from Evans cycles.Ex Display so only£40. Just type in Ex display on the Evans website search as they had a few pairs in stock.

chiefgrooveguru

I haven’t tried the normal Freeriders but the tongue on the Elements has a leather outer whilst on the ELCs it’s fabric (presumably because the lace cover deals with keeping the weather out). I was surprised how much less my ankle liked the leather tongue, I had to be quite fussy about lace tension to avoid discomfort on longer rides. Not really an issue now they’ve been relegated to work/commuting wear with two years’ use softening them up.

I was curious about the 2FO but the mesh toe put me off – it’s rarely so wet here that the Elements can’t keep my feet dry but we often have standing water which would splash through any holes in the upper.

munakorva
    Free Member

I also flag for Vaude Moab Low Am or the Moab STX mid model.

I got pair of Low Am’s waxed with Nikwax leather wax. Waterproof like that. Also dries fast if get soaked by sweat or something.

Nice, stiff sole and good touch on pedals. Great grip. Solid, really comfortable shoe, but takes some time to wear in.

roverpig

Neither… Vaude Moab Mid Stx AM – quite a mouthful, granted, but they are waterproof, grippy on the pedal (but with some token toe and heel grip for walking bits) and comfy.

Very impressed with mine, although I had to import them from Germany!

Loving mine too 🙂 Stiffer than the 5:10 freeriders that I use in summer, which means less “feedback” from the pedals. But they seem to grip well on and off the bike, are very well made, totally waterproof and when they do get soaked they seem to dry out in no time.

Got mine from Cotswold Outdoor (who probably shipped them in from Germany too).

nairnster
    Free Member

Lucky enough to currently have both a pair of Teva Links and some Free rider ELCS.

Both are comfy, the 5.10 more so in my opinion. The 5.10s are definitely warmer, and paired with some dexshell waterproof socks are warm and keep my feet dry.

bigjim

it’s a shame shimano changed the soles on the AM7, the AM40 and 41 were great.

chiefgrooveguru

it’s a shame shimano changed the soles on the AM7, the AM40 and 41 were great.

I wonder what they changed? The tread pattern is identical and they’re all made by Vibram.

bigjim

The previous rubber was really tacky and slow rebound, ergo very grippy on flat pedals, the new stuff is like a springy foam instead. I’ve an old pair of am40s I might try and cannibalise but not sure it’s worth the hassle.

philstone

Bought some 5.10 Elements… Rode in them tonight – very impressed, feel so much better than my old 5.10s.

kiwijohn

Anyone tried the hi top element? I’m looking for something like my old MT91, but flat pedal friendly.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedal shoes – AM7 or Freerider ELC’ is closed to new replies.