Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Flat Pedal Shoes
  • Tim
    Free Member

After a new set. Had Shimano dh ones before which were great but need replacing

For trail and occasional uplift

What good deals are out there?

Thanks

Tim

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Deals sometimes depend on what size foot you have!

For me it’s hard to look past various 5:10 models. There have been some good deals on Impact Vxi lately but the looks divide opinion!

kayak23

Swinnertons cycles at Cannock had some good deals on some 5:10.models when I popped in the other day.

5:10 are really the grippiest there is as much as it pains me to admit given the cost…

Tim
    Free Member

The 5:10 can be a bit orthopaedic shoe. I got put off by the weight and looks of older models, but the newer ones seem a lot better

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I’ve always been an spd man but decided to buy flats and try some adidas Terrez trailcross ankle boot down to £77, adidas are £120
    https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/adi9185/adidas-terrex-trailcross-protect-shoes-~-aw17/
    Includes the stealth rubber sole which adidas bought the 510 company for.

Also do low shoes for £60

mindmap3
    Free Member

Leisure Lakes were jobbing out Freeriders for £55 a pair recently. Loads of grip but can act like a sponge when it gets wet.

I’ve been through a few brands (Sombrio, Teva and Giro) and haven’t found any that grips like a 5 10. The new Impacts don’t look as ‘special’ as the original versions and offer a stiffer sole than Freeriders so I find them better for actually pedalling and they see a bit better in the wet.

colournoise

O Neal Trigger are my favourites right now, but will probably go for Adidas Terrex next time (have Terrex waking boots and trail running shoes and love them).

TheBrick
    Free Member

I am amazed there is little alternative to 510s. Flat pedals on MTB are not new. There is a massive selection of skate shoes which are great for bmx but too flexible for MTB. I just can’t justify the cost of 510s.

kiwijohn

Yeah you can. You can find Freeriders on special somewhere I’m sure.

jedi

i use giro jackets (wierd name for a shoe) look good and are stiff and grippy but not so much that you cant re position your foot

VanHalen

Cheers for teh cheap terrex link – couldnt resist at that price – buggered if i was gonna pay more than £60 for a shoe.

I have freeriders at the mo and they are light flexible and grippy. I`ve just found a hole in the sole though! (but they are over a year old worn on and off the bike)

federalski
    Free Member

Echo the good shout above on the deal on Adidas Terrex.

Was looking at getting a pair a few months ago but wasn’t quite willing to buy them at £90.
    Have the older model already and Adidas are one of the few brands of bike shoes that look decent away from the bike for just kicking about as well for me.

GavinB

I got a pair of the Terrex shoes a few months back, and will not be buying a pair of 5.10 biking shoes again (I’ve had two pairs over the years). Tons of grip (better than the 5.10s off the bike too), stiff enough sole (better than the Shimano ones they replaced), pretty weatherproof and dry out like a pair of trainers (unlike 5.10s)

Tim
    Free Member

Cheers all. The Terrex look perfect

scruff
    Free Member

They are good, hoping Adidas see sense and chuck a goretex upper on aswell. Goretex boot terrex trail, ultimate winter slop footwear.

joebristol

I like my 5-10 freerider elements. Very grippy on the pedals and reasonably resistant to getting wet feet inside. Not very grippy for walking off the bike on slippery mud if that’s a consideration for you. I did a push up day recently at a local bike park and it was quite slippery as there pushup tracknwas very muddy!

Also, they took days to dry out afterwards. It would be good if they had a flap to cover the laces tonstop that area getting quite so wet.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I like my 5-10 freerider elements…
    ..It would be good if they had a flap to cover the laces to stop that area getting quite so wet.

What you want is the Freerider ELC (elements lace cover) but brace yourself, the colours are lairy

steel4real
    Free Member

It would be good if they had a flap to cover the laces tonstop that area getting quite so wet.

Duh !

What do you think the Freerider ELC is for ?

EDIT – beaten to it by the Bucanneer! 😆

joebristol

Yes but my eyes can never unsee the colour schemes on the ELC version. Why not make some in sensible colours that a 37 year old man isn’t going to look quite so ridiculous in?

jekkyl

The cost for cycling specific shoes is ridiculous and I just can’t get past the price to justify them. For my last 3 pairs I’ve gone to sports direct and just picked a pair of dark trainers with with a very stiff sole (there are lots) and they are usually under £20. Honestly can’t fault them and you can waterproof to some degree with some fixing spray. At that price I really don’t worry about getting them messed up with mud.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Have to agree with joe, the freerider ELC are probably a great shoe,but what eejit decided to design them for the seven year old market? They would probably be a huge seller in black and grey, black and red, black and blue…

molgrips
    Free Member

So the Terrex Trailcross shoes – they look curved in the pictures. Does this not affect riding?

dskelly81
    Free Member

Got the terrex which have the same sole & rubber compound as 5:10 due to adidas buying the company. Great shoes! Stiff soles & grippy too. Not as water proof as my old shimano AM41s tho

GavinB

Agreed Scruff – although I tend to prefer shoes which drain/dry easily over outright waterproofing. First river crossing you hit, and all the goretex in the world is useless.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

How do the Terrex shoes size up compared to 5:10?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m still interested in trying a set of the Terrex, I’ve got a couple of pairs of Impact VXi’s which are held together with mostly glue now, but they are still a great shoe.

At £60 they are about what I can get a pair of 5-10’s for anyway, so part of me thinks just buy the new freerider pro’s which seem to tick all my boxes for what want from riding shoes 🙂

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

terrex are pretty much inline with my other adidas shoes, adidas are notoriously small if you wear nike or other brands,
    I’m a regular uk9 in all shoes, but ordered a UK10 as i intend to wear a sealskinz sock with the boot. should received later today will update

joemmo
    Free Member

I found the terrex to be pretty roomy compared to other Adidas shoes, certainly quite spacious around the toe but the 9 is a good fit for me and I wear 9 or 8.5 in trainers. Going up a whole size might be unnecessary but YMMV

So the Terrex Trailcross shoes – they look curved in the pictures. Does this not affect riding?

they’re not curved in reality 🙂 at least mine aren’t. The sole is flat with some deeper tread bits on the heel and toe

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@joemmo agree i think the uk10 are too big for me, gonna reorder a UK9.5, i’d wear the uk9 in summer with a thin sock, but where i ride yorkshire, summer is only 1-3 months, so UK9.5 it is.

in terms of curve the back 4/5s is flat, then the front 1/5 curves up.

these would be perfect if they had a Weather-resistant gusseted tongue.
    can’t see them being waterproof if water can go through the laces and down the side of the tongue

Northwind

Still spent most of my time in Freeriders. The Element is the closest thing they do to a winter mtb shoe. (tried the EPS, it’s rubbish, no effective waterproofing at all)

But I’m just trying some Guide Tennies just now and so far they’re very good. Haven’t done any real technical riding on them which is the best test but first rides have been really positive.

joemmo
    Free Member

no definitely not waterproof but reasonably splash proof. I’m thinking of trying those Endura overshoes to make it through the winter

duncancallum

I use vaudes

greigb
    Free Member

Intrigued by the Terrex, has anyone seen these in a high street shop or are they generally mail order only? Would much prefer to try in person.

Please note I am not in London so unlikely to be near a Terrex flagship pop-up concept store. 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Flat Pedal Shoes’ is closed to new replies.