• This topic has 55 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by aw.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • flat barred road bikes…anyone??????
  • aP
    Free Member

Kinesis DC19

gingerflash

I stand corrected but that’s one weird looking fork!

RichPenny
    Free Member

So in your setup STATO, do you have those extra brake levers for when you want to use the flat part of the bar? I found that position fine when bimbling along quiet roads, but would want to be on the hoods or drops when amongst traffic. I also found the quicker steering of the drops a bit unusual, but I suppose I will get used to that. FWIW, my right wrist is plated after a bad break. Weirdly, it wasn’t that which hurt, but my left shoulder muscles and upper arm. I think it’s because I favour that side. Also, the stem was too long so I was too stretched out probably exacerbating the problem. What do you think?

ton
    richcc
    Free Member

I’m not going to suggest that flat bar bike is faster in traffic but rapidly coming to the conclusion it is more fun and braking for one thing is easier with flat bar mtn bike brakes than on the hoods of roadbrakes.

STATO
    Free Member

So in your setup STATO, do you have those extra brake levers for when you want to use the flat part of the bar? I found that position fine when bimbling along quiet roads, but would want to be on the hoods or drops when amongst traffic.

I have used them, they can be good for cruising along like you say. For most of the time tho im on the hoods (or just behind them). What most people seem to miss is that riding on hoods dosnt have to be a stretch, at least not on a casual bike. For a perfect example look at a cotic road rat, they come in long for flat bars and short for drop bars (3cm difference in length, with the same length stem this will mean the top of the drop bar will be 3cm closer to you than the flat bar version, so the hoods will be in an almost identical position to normal flat bars.

I also found the quicker steering of the drops a bit unusual, but I suppose I will get used to that.

Thats becasue all your weight is transfered forward, try raising the bar a little, you should be able to switch between the tops and the drops without any discomfort.

FWIW, my right wrist is plated after a bad break. Weirdly, it wasn’t that which hurt, but my left shoulder muscles and upper arm. I think it’s because I favour that side.

I get this feeling in the arms from too long in the drops on my road-race bike (bars are at least 3cm lower than my other drop barred bikes), somthing that can be cured with a good set-up, ie. in this case probably higher bars.

Also, the stem was too long so I was too stretched out probably exacerbating the problem. What do you think?

I think your doing well for still trying, but probably fell into the same trap i did when i first started riding road bikes a few years ago. Basically your prob looking at the bikes in the mags/shops/under club-riders and just not finding what is right for you. My first bike was 3cm too long and it nearly put me off, in the end i swapped to a shorter frame with a higher bar setup and i love it. Ok so now ive got used to it and my race-y bike has a lower longer set-up but its still not as extreme as that first one i used.

Keep at it, dont be affraid to try some other bars too, there are loads of different styles and sizes, WAY more to chose from than MTB bars and they dont all suit.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

ap – flat bars = a more upright riding position, making you more visible to traffic, and enabling you to see more clearly. flat bars make a bike more manouverable, meaning you can negotiate traffic quicker.

even if you are on the hoods, a ‘proper’ road bike will still stretch you out more than a flat bar road bike, making looking about more difficult. ergo, less safe.

so yes you’re right, in a straight line, a road bike is of course quicker for all sorts of reasons; gearing, aerodynamics, efficent riding position.

But in the real world, when actually how fast you can potentially go takes second fiddle to how practical the bike is for purpose, a flat bar road bike is faster, safer and more comfortable. a bit like whats quicker thorugh london? a zonda or a smart car? there’s probably not much in it, but I know which is most practical, and probably the first on e to find a parking spot…

and if it’s red, there’s no contest 😉

aP
    Free Member

OK 😯
    I’ve cycled and commuted in London for 15 years on drop bar road bikes – a combination of fixed/cx/road and believe me the visibility is perfectly good, its just as maneuverable as a flat bared bike, no less comfortable and just as safe – and going down gaps between vehicles is a lot better with drop bars then flats (unless they’re cut down 1990 stylee).
    Oh and cycling 15 miles into a headwind on the way home out through Kensington and Hammersmith is much better on a drop bar bike 😛

STATO
    Free Member

a ‘proper’ road bike will still stretch you out more than a flat bar road bike

thats because they are totally different beasts!

A non-racy road bike will put you in exactly the same position as your ‘sit-up and beg’ flat bar roadbike, the only noticable difference is in what brake lever it has and do you want to go in the drops to get out the wind.

anagallis_arvensis

ap – flat bars = a more upright riding position

Seeing as this is wrong then the rest of your post is also wrong.

ton

i have ordered a non flat barred audax bike….. 8)
    are they better than non flat barred road bikes… 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

Cheers for the help STATO, it is much appreciated. Don’t know if I mentioned it but that was my first ride on drops. I think Ton needs 2 bikes, just to be sure 🙂 I will be giving back the Cervelo this week, but will be buying a Bianchi from the LBS soon! They do seem to be making the right noises about fitting etc. Chap reckons I’ll need a 53, does that seem about right? I’ll be getting a C2C 928 Veloce, or Via Nirone Veloce. I would imagine these to be more relaxed than a Cervelo R3?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ton, how many bikes have you got now?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

ah well – ap it’s only my opinion, we’ve all got em. I guess tons got to make his own mind up! me? I’ll got flat bars for town riding, drops for roads though frankly I’d rather be up in the hills away from the nasty cars!

Saccades
    Free Member

aw
    Free Member

When I first got my cyclo cross single speed I hated the drop bars being a dedicated MTBer. I stuck with them and now I love the numerous different hand positions with drops. The speed difference when going down hill if you drop to the bottom of the bar is quite surprising!

I agree with the less knickable comment as well as drops are not seen as fashionable or expensive (unless it a very shiny road bike).

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘flat barred road bikes…anyone??????’ is closed to new replies.