Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • flat bar to drop bar conversion????
  • ollie151
    Free Member

i want to swap my current flat bar to drop bars. i also want to keep v brakes.

i understand if i use a pair of STI levers , they wouldnt work that well with my v brakes, and i would have compatibility issues with the gear shifting as my XT mechs are designed to be use with thumb shifters.

solution would be to get a pair of Tektro Mini V???

or to get Tektro RL520 that are designed for v brakes, and get bar end shifters
    does that make sence??

julianwilson
    Free Member

Cheapest will be the textro levers and bar end shifters, and waaaaay cheaper than new mini-v’s and half decent sti’s!

ollie151
    Free Member

i found mini vs on the OnOne site for £20 http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BCTK926MV/tektro_mini_v_926al___a_pair_front_and_rear
    and i already got some sti.

9 speed bar ends seem expencive

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’m sure there’s one particular STI model (proper Shimano kit) that can have the leverage switched to accommodate Vs.

Not sure how this effects your XT mechs. As long as the speed count is the same, I assumed they’d be fine. But this might be naive now we have such a proliferation of standards.

EDIT: You already have the STIs. Didn’t see that post when I started typing.

ollie151
    Free Member

i think the STI’s would work with my rear mech, but i believe it wont work well with the front, where as the bar end shifters will because they are friction shift (only for the front, the rear is index)

jimc101
    Free Member

Which STI’s? as different generations have different brake pulls, and need different brakes.

ollie151
    Free Member

yeah, not totaly sure bout that. maybe the RL520 levers and bar ends would be safest bet

ollie151
    Free Member

anyone got a spare set of 9 speed bar end shifters????…
    …anyone?

jamiep
    Free Member

I did this recently:

On-one Midge bars
    Tektro RL520 levers (long pull) used on mechanical discs
    Shimano Dura-Ace 7700 bar end sifters (friction shifting)

ollie151
    Free Member

yeah. think thats what im going for

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘flat bar to drop bar conversion????’ is closed to new replies.