• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Flat bar road bike shifters
  • magowen100
    Free Member

I’m in the process of converting a drop bar road bike to flat bar for my fathers birthday – do I need to get the proper shimano flat bar shifters to do this?
    I’ve read that the rear should be fine but the front is a different chainring spacing for MTB and road – is this right?
    Final question if I do need the proper one’s anyone know the cheapest place to get them?
    TIA
    Matt

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you want it to work as it should then you need specific flat bar road shifters and a matching front mech. Something like SLR440 with an FDR440 mech if it is 9 speed or SLR770 and FDR770 if it is ten speed.

magowen100
    Free Member

Drat!
    Not going to be as cheap as I thought….
    Is there a cheap bodge?
    Cheers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ir_bandito
    Free Member

Microshift make a 9 and 10-spd flat bar shifters. Lot cheaper than shimano and supposed to be quite good.
    I’ve bought a pair for my missus flat-bar road-bike, but haven’t actually built it yet (not bad a fora christmas present…)
    but out of the box, they seem ok.

theboatman
    Free Member

Got this LH 3 speed shifter still for sale if that helps £15 posted

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-clearout-with-pics-7

RichPenny
    Free Member

Got a full set of Shimano 9spd shifters and mechs in the spares box. With cables… They’ll be cheap 🙂

Mail me, we could do some business my friend, eh;)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

rear is fine, as you say. MTB RH shifter will work with road rear mech.

front shifter needs to be flat bar specific (SLR440), although you can get a mtb shifter to work as long as you run just two rings, by setting the limit screw to reduce the overshift onto the small ring.

If you do run the SLR440 LH shifter then you can use either the flat bar front mech (440) or indeed a std road mech.

magowen100
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies all,
    Rich – I’ve sent you an email.
    Theboatman – will drop you a mail if the stuff with Rich doesn’t work out (appreciate the offer though).

OCB
    Free Member

Bar-end shifters on “thumbies“?

I’ve done this as a way of getting shifters to fit sensibly on H-bars and it works really well – plus you have the friction option too as a way of getting home if the indexing goes out (err, or for use though choice (like I do)).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Flat bar road bike shifters’ is closed to new replies.