Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Flat bar preference. Whats good.
  • rockymerlin
    Free Member

I’m looking at investing a decent amout of wedge into a pair of flat bars.

I’m currently running a very old pair of easton monkeylite low rise bars, theyre cracking so need replacing.

For xc use, some racing, what recommendations do you have???

Thanks

Sam

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Niner flat tops

jezandu
    Free Member

Salsa pro moto carbon bars

tang
    Free Member

Enve sweep

ssboggy

Easton EC70

onewheelgood

KCNC SC Bone

grahamh
    Free Member

+1 on the Easton EC70

peaks
    Free Member

+1 for the niner bars, currently running these flat bars myself and they are awesome, very light too

podman
    Free Member

I upgraded from 540mm flat EC90’s on my Simple.

Niner’s look awesome, but we’re too expensive for me- I needed up with some carbon Syncros with a flat top and a similar sweep for considerably less money., they’re narrower than the niner’s, but I’d need to cut them down anyway. Very happy with them so far!

DanW
    Free Member

FSA K Force Nano Light

I struggled to find flat bars with a nice amount of back sweep, that were light and would let me dial in a little preference in the fit. The FSA K Force Light Nano are 113g (real weight), 6 degree back sweep and are offset so small changes in rotation in the stem really change the shape and feel of the back sweep. Very handy if you are picky on feel of bar shape 😀

I got them for £50 in a CRC sale which was even better.

If I had to buy anything else then I would only really have Easton EC70 or EC90 on my list or possible Syntace Duraflite Carbon (but they are quite porky). I wouldn’t be unhappy with KCNC either. There aren’t many nicely shaped light flat bars out there. Nicely shaped and heavy (relatively speaking) is much easier- just depends what is important to you.

BearBack
    Free Member

FSA/Gravity’s CSI flat bar.

carbon wrapped over alloy centre.

Gravity Light CSI

relatively heavy for carbon at 240g but as strong as you’ll find!

fenred
    Free Member

Another vote for niner flat tops, just stuck them back on the SS and forgot how nice they are.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Salsa pro moto, or just got some 800mm syntace for the quarterhorse, they’re a bit wide ATM but feel great.

jezandu
    Free Member

How wide do you want them?

podman
    Free Member

DanW – Member
    FSA K Force Nano Light

I struggled to find flat bars with a nice amount of back sweep, that were light and would let me dial in a little preference in the fit. The FSA K Force Light Nano are 113g (real weight), 6 degree back sweep and are offset so small changes in rotation in the stem really change the shape and feel of the back sweep. Very handy if you are picky on feel of bar shape
    I got them for £50 in a CRC sale which was even better.
    If I had to buy anything else then I would only really have Easton EC70 or EC90 on my list or possible Syntace Duraflite Carbon (but they are quite porky). I wouldn’t be unhappy with KCNC either. There aren’t many nicely shaped light flat bars out there. Nicely shaped and heavy (relatively speaking) is much easier- just depends what is important to you.

Yep, I of course meant Syntace earlier when I said Syncros… Whoops. Hadn’t seen the FSA, they look good too.

It was the Duraflite Carbon that I got to replace my narrow EC90’s:: http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=1496 they’re rather expensive retail, managed to get a pair off a broken-up Cube- might be worth keeping a look out.

jo_h
    Free Member

We’re running a few mt zoom flat carbon bars in our house that I think are great, sold through the xcracer website.

oxym0r0n

Another + for niner bar but really depends on what width you want

rockymerlin
    Free Member

I’ve been really happy with my old school monkey lites however I want to get lower up front.

I also want as little sweep back as possible, again to keep my weight low and forward. I’m looking at a similar width, around 660mm.

I’m tempted to stick with easton again but I’ve got a pair of 2011 monkeylite’s in low rise (on another bike) and I’m not as happy with them as I was my old ones, maybe I’m just getting cynical but they dont seem as nice.

Thanks for your great advice any more suggestions please feel free, my ears (and wallet!) are still wide open. !!

captaindanger

I love the element nickel, not sure if they do them now though

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

More importantly, are you going to be using bar ends, if so them alloy bars are needed unless your a petite sthetic build.

adsh
    Free Member

KCNC bones on the FS and Van Nicholas ti 630mm on the ht. Both are great but the VN are a work of art. KCNC bar e.ds on both.

Vortexracing

Just got some Spank Oozy bars off CRC for £35, 700 wide, 5mm rise and only 202grammes. seem OK but I’ll let you know better after a ride or two.

duckman

J and L ti bars from evil bay here,or ec70’s.

DanW
    Free Member

I also want as little sweep back as possible, again to keep my weight low and forward. I’m looking at a similar width, around 660mm.

The amount of back sweep is important for having comfortable wrists/ elbows/ shoulders. For the purpose of being comfortable on the bike you should buy the back sweep that is comfortable for you and then buy a longer stem to achieve the reach (saddle to bar distance) that you want.

There aren’t many light 660mm plus flat bars- is weight a concern for you?

rockymerlin
    Free Member

@ Dan Unfortunately I don’t want to run a longer stem. Around 5-6 degree back sweep would be fine.

I like the look of the trutativ noir however 10 sweep is way too much.

I understand what your saying about the width, This is why I ask!!

I’m not overy concerened about weight, however I wouldn’t want to compromise the rest of the bike.

charliedontsurf

I really like these… The angles make everything very comfy but also the handling is good. Like a semi jones.

They are also not dead flat, the bar is set to the bottom of the 31.8 bulge, so you can flip then for something like 10mm of adjustment.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/salsa-alloy-bend-2-bar-318-2031-p.asp

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Flat bar preference. Whats good.’ is closed to new replies.