Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • flat bar, 700c, disk brake bike for commuting
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

Thinking of something like the Roadrat, Cannondale Badboy or Kona Dr Dew.
    Anyone put cross tyres on these type of bike and used them off road? Nothing serious, stull that a cross bike can handle fine.
    Any others I should add to my list??

I'm unsure if I'm going flat bar or a cross bike.

Stoner
    Free Member
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

Boardmans are a lot of bike for the cash

cynic-al
    Free Member

gf got the £500 Boardman, is nice.

wors

I keep looking at these

funkynick

There is definitely enough space on the Roadrat to stick CX tyres, upto 38c I believe. Or you can run 26" wheels with 1.9" tyres…

And have taken mine along a few bridleways… felt okay, certainly as good as my Pompino offroad.

chriswilk
    Free Member

they don't make a pompetamine big enough for me. Not sure about the Boardmans size wise, but they look nice, I'll check them out.

any others?

Stoner
    Free Member

blimey how big are you? Im 6'4" and rode a Pompino around France for 3 months very comfortably.

chriswilk
    Free Member

Stoner – 6'6" with long legs.

The Giant Roam looks good – except the forks. Needs to be rigid for the road miles

Stoner
    Free Member

hairymuff. Have you thought about building something around a scandal 29er frame instead?

scandal frame 3lbs
    on-one carbon disk forks 2lbs
    bung some nice disk hubs on some open pro rims….

nice. Big cockpit, light and fast and stiff.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Out of interest, why disk?

The canti's on my comuter are probably 50 years old and still stop quickly enough even in trafic, there is more lever travel to use even when you can feel everything straining under the load of me and panniers stuffed with kit.

OK, greater effect from water, and mud, but less effected (IME) by oil and grit getting into the pad and cable respectively.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I'd like disk for the lack of maintenance required.
    Ideally I'd go for a hub gear too, but the alfine 8 doesn't have the range I need, and I can;t really strech to the Alfine 11 or a Rohloff.

I also hate that scraping noise you get with rim brakes just after going through a puddle.

I'll probably end up with a cross bike, and I certainly wouldn't get disks on that. I'd be too tempted to go too fast into rough sections and kill the wheels.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘flat bar, 700c, disk brake bike for commuting’ is closed to new replies.