Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Flashy adverts – really irritating!
  • missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

They're getting on my nerves, I suppose that the official answer will be to upgrade my subscription but is there any other way to not view them?

titusrider
    Free Member
    retro83
    Free Member

3, 2, 1 and the ban hammer falleth

glenh
    Free Member

What adverts?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We're not allowed to talk about this sort of thing on here you know, old bean!

5…

4…

3…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

No, I didn't know that we are not meant to talk about such issues. If I did, would I have posted the topic?

Having read the T&Cs, fair enough I suppose re advertising, but the number of flashy ads on the forum seem to have increased. I guess I'll just put up with them until I have anoither seizure then find another forum to use.

thomthumb
    Free Member

naughty step…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You're supposed to be grateful for that eye-jarring which apparently pays for the whole lovely site :o) The discussion of countermeasures is embargoed. You may reduce the number I believe by paying for premium membership of the forum (the little 'P' next to the username) and this might salve your conscience for denying ad revenue by not clicking on them regularly…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Fair enough. Not going to have a "P" please Bob, standard forum membership works for me, unless premier gets my mag to me before it appears in the online archive?

jon1973
    Free Member

guess I'll just put up with them until I have anoither seizure then find another forum to use.

If you blink fast enough, you don't even notice they're flashing.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its simple anything that flashes or is brightly coloured you can just ignore, after a while you dont even notice all the adds

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

after a while you dont even notice all the adds

I lack that ability 🙁
    In fact they become the only thing I can see…

I'm a premier member and I'm still getting them.

email sent.

sales@chainreactioncycles.com

Flashing adverts on singletrackworld forum.

Please stop them, they are annoying.
    I will be shopping at Wiggle until they are gone.

Graham

soobalias
    Free Member

i like the adverts, gives me somewhere to spend all my lovely money

CountZero

Don't know why a netbook should slow down, my iPhone doesn't, and all the ads are visible. There are no Flash ads anymore, as far as I can see, and it's Flash that does the damage.

zokes
    Free Member

I may turn them back on then…

aracer
    Free Member

I'm pushing things even saying this much, but I only see the non-flash ads, which means I don't get irritated and my computer doesn't get slowed down. This is the case both in work where nothing flash based works due to our firewall and/or software installation (it's about the only upside of my computing/internet experience in work) – I couldn't possibly comment on how I manage this at home. Don't have any ethical dilemmas given I could get a P if I wanted (though still haven't worked out what the advantage actually is).

vinnyeh

I don't have an ad blocking policy, I disable all flash content on all sites using click to flash- if I really want to see flash content a mouse click lets me view it. I'm sure there's a windows equivalent.

glenh
    Free Member

Out of interest, has any one ever clicked on a website ad (and not accidentally)?

I truly don't think I've ever clicked an ad on the web in 15 years.

si-wilson
    Free Member

waaaaaaah, nobody looks at my ad? 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Don't have any ethical dilemmas given I could get a P if I wanted

so you mean you don't actually feel obligated to pay up so long as you could if you wanted to ? Result!

Out of interest, has any one ever clicked on a website ad (and not accidentally)?

I have a couple of times when I wanted to give the site some revenue and I was buying from one of the advertisers.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Its simple anything that flashes or is brightly coloured you can just ignore, after a while you dont even notice all the adds

I've realised why today is more irritating than usual, and that is an annoying CRC banner advert right above the reply box that flashes every 5 or 6 seconds or so. Flashy adverts on other parts of the page are less irritating as I can scroll away from them more easily.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I can scroll away from them more easily.

thereby circumventing your role as hapless consumer and earning unbounded contumely from the management 🙁 Paraphrasing Orwell, "4 legs good, 2 legs better, flashing doohickey on a unicycle best"

Mark

I truly don't think I've ever clicked an ad on the web in 15 years.

Almost 20,000 clicks last month alone.

Also, someone asked if being premier resulted in getting their paper mag BEFORE the mag archive. The answer is no. In fact the mag archive gets it first. That's the point. There's no post or other distribution middlemen in the chain with the digital version so Digital Premier users get the benefit of that. I'll have the Digital version of issue 58 up online on Thursday morning. Possibly tomorrow afternoon if I get a wiggle on.

AdamW
    Free Member

As an aside, I am considering the Premier edition with PDF download.

Anyone tried this with an iPad*? Do they look good in PDF? If so, I'll most probably put my hand in my pocket. Is there an olde worlde one I can try with?

* – yeah, I got one, get over it. 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

WTD: Sense of perspective

donsimon
    Free Member

Possibly tomorrow afternoon if I get a wiggle on.

Resorting to subliminal advertising now???

I've clicked the ads a couple of times but flash ads are a turn off, much like pages which are too complicated. If the page doesn't load quickly enough I move on, so I don't ever get to see the fancy stuff…

I don't think complicated ads do the advertiser any favours.

CountZero

I've clicked the ads a couple of times but flash ads are a turn off, much like pages which are too complicated. If the page doesn't load quickly enough I move on, so I don't ever get to see the fancy stuff…
    I don't think complicated ads do the advertiser any favours.

Happens to me quite a bit, due to using an iPhone for most of my browsing; it's very easy to just touch an ad and set it off. I have used some of the advertisers, although, ironically enough, the Chain Reaction ad won't open, and it's the only one I can't see, and I'd forgotten about it. Had to use a bookmark instead.
    I really don't like web sites or ads that use loads of Flash, if I find one and it requires me to keep mouse hovering to reveal new pages then I'll just go elsewhere. If I have to spend time fannying around just to get information on a product then I feel the advertiser isn't serious about selling it to me; if I want to play stupid **** Flash games I'll go to Facebook and waste hours on a sodding farm.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

IMO moving ads inhere contempt for the user. "You're too dim to decide what you want for yourself so here's a sickening reminder"

aracer
    Free Member

"Don't have any ethical dilemmas given I could get a P if I wanted"
    so you mean you don't actually feel obligated to pay up so long as you could if you wanted to ?

Are you being deliberately obtuse, sfb? Actually no need to answer that at all – tag time…

I don't really mind the (non-flash) ads at all, and even click them sometimes – though IIRC the site doesn't get click based revenue – hence don't even see enough value in having a P to bother applying. Maybe someday I'll get round to it.

robob
    Free Member

"I really don't like web sites or ads that use loads of Flash, if I find one and it requires me to keep mouse hovering to reveal new pages then I'll just go elsewhere. If I have to spend time fannying around just to get information on a product then I feel the advertiser isn't serious about selling it to me"

ditto

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Are you being deliberately obtuse, sfb? Actually no need to answer that at all – tag time…

excuse me, but I'm not arguing for the sake of it! Whilst I understand the need for ad revenue, at least to my perception, flashing ads are unsupportable, as I find it hard not to look at a moving thing on screen. Others may have a different experience. I don't consider it to be obtuse to have apparently misinterpreted your comment.

sniff
    Free Member

Almost 20,000 clicks last month alone.

You can ignore about 10,000 of them as they will be due to my fat fingers when using my phone.

Mark

Thanks anyway 🙂

Btw the flash ads get the most clicks by a very large margin

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I do most of my browsing on my mobile now which means all these ads eat in to my usage allowance. I think STW need to take this in to account going forward as it is quite clear over the last few years that the ads have taken up more and more down load for each page

Oh the only ad that has caught my eye said blah blah blah …bradford, so how the heck did they know that's where I live?

Ha ha, I've had one of my posts deleted.

And it's not the one where I suggested someone scanned a page out of MBUK and posted it on the web. 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I wonder how the site revenue compares to that of the magazine ?

zokes
    Free Member

Ha ha, I've had one of my posts deleted.

Oh, so have I.

Still, it's their playground, mutter mutter grumble grumble…

On a more serious note, do CRC et al deliver to Australia? Because in about 2 weeks time I can safely say the adverts really are useless to me if they don't…. (Although as said, I can't see them either way on my netbook: leave them on, firefox crashes and i can't see them; turn them off, and I can use the webpage, but obviously can't see them)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Flashy adverts – really irritating!’ is closed to new replies.