Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Flash memory, stick/card/what?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

After the demise of a little used external hard drive just out of warranty we’re now looking at flash memory to keep the photo’s on. So what’s the difference, if any, between a card & a stick?
    You can get a 128mb SanDisk Cruzer Glide from 7dayshop for £48 or one of their own make cards for £33.
    It’s a bloody minefield! Help!

geoffj

Neither – get a Dropbox / box / google drive account and use that for free

andyl
    Free Member

are you talking about an SD type card (that fits in a slot) compares to a USB drive?

I have a tiny sandisk usb drive permanently in the side of my laptop as a backup for important files but then realised it would free up a usb slot and be even more low profile (less likely to get knocked) if I just fitted an SD card into the SD slot.

Make sure you buy legitimate cards (lots of copies) and have a backup. Online backup or home NAS is great if you have a connection most of the time and enough space. I like having a local backup of things too.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You could buy a 1TB portable USB 3 drive for fifty quid. Any reason why it needs to be a stick?

Cougar

I have a tiny sandisk usb drive permanently in the side of my laptop as a backup for important files but then realised it would free up a usb slot and be even more low profile (less likely to get knocked) if I just fitted an SD card into the SD slot.

That won’t protect against things like burglary / loss of the laptop, or fire, bear in mind.

Jake25

There is an old IT saying.

“Data does not exist unless it is in two different physical locations.
    It is not considered backed up unless it is in three.”

Take from that what you will.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You could buy a 1TB portable USB 3 drive for fifty quid. Any reason why it needs to be a stick?
    No reason whatsoever TF. Like I say, It’s a minefield, especially when your’e ‘computer/technologically challenged’ like me!
    We got the external drive as back up but didn’t back up the back up for the back up. 🙄

My Mrs still reckons going to Boots is the best bet.

andyl
    Free Member

That won’t protect against things like burglary / loss of the laptop, or fire, bear in mind.

I know. But it’s there as an on hand backup when I am out and about just in case something happens to the version on the HDD and can whip it out if leaving the laptop somewhere. If I don’t have any online backup access then it serves as a useful temporary and easily removable backup.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Flash memory, stick/card/what?’ is closed to new replies.