Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Flash….
  • footflaps

not the saviour of the Universe, but the news that Adobe are dropping it from the Andoid store:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19267140

Flash was the reason I bought a Galaxy Tab instead of iPad! I can’t believe Adobe and Google would do this.

Oh the irony….

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Good riddance to bad rubbish

footflaps

I think it’s more important to mock those who chose Android solely because it supported Flash 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

Hang on a sec, all the fandroids said it was a big plus and the lack of flash crippled the iPad.
    They can’t all be wrong? 😯

footflaps

sc-xc

I tried an android tablet, it was obvious that even with flash it was a load of old shit.

footflaps

It gets even better, the Android iPlayer app uses Flash and so won’t work (until they find a work around)…

Pook

vhs was inferior to betamax too.

People are happy to accept substandard products if they’re seen as ‘cool’.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Flash was the reason I bought a Galaxy Tab instead of iPad! I can’t believe Adobe and Google would do this.
    Oh the irony….

Flash is still available from Adobe and will not be removed from any device.

It gets even better, the Android iPlayer app uses Flash and so won’t work (until they find a work around)…

Adobe will be supporting Adobe Air which is what the Iplayer desktop is based on.

Hang on a sec, all the fandroids said it was a big plus and the lack of flash crippled the iPad.
    They can’t all be wrong?

Before HTML5 was widely accepted then it did leave a gaping hole, now things have had chance to adjust (obviously as Apple showed us all the shining light to follow from their [Self Censor])

geoffj

dd to the forum please

jonba
    Free Member

Isn’t available on jelly bean (nexus 7). There are workarounds already.

One is to Root then certain apps will work the other is to download firefox and open sites using that*.

It is a little annoying and I do wish I could get Iplayer through an app.

It isn’t a massive problem if you have a bigger screen as you can open the standard webpage but probably a bit annoying if you have a phone.

allthegear
    Free Member

Oh I love the irony of those people that said how restrictive iOS was because of the lack of customisability and how that would mean it wouldn’t do everything. You see, iPlayer works just fine on my iPad…

Rachel

GrahamS

It isn’t a massive problem if you have a bigger screen as you can open the standard webpage but probably a bit annoying if you have a phone.

There is a mobile-specific iPlayer page, which is what you see on iPhone if you go to the site:

I would imagine that could/should be served to Android mobiles too.

Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/tv

allthegear
    Free Member

The BBC do device detection to check that it is indeed an iThingy visiting that page. If not, they are concerned it might be a tool designed to download and distribute the recordings which will annoy the owners of the recordings.

It might work but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t. 🙁

Rachel

GrahamS

If not, they are concerned it might be a tool designed to download and distribute the recordings which will annoy the owners of the recordings.

Mmmmm… any such tool could easily change it’s User Agent to appear as if it was an iDevice.

That may be a solution for droid phones too – use a browser that lets you pretend to be an iPhone.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got a Nexus Tablet and am trying to sort the same thing out. I reckon Opera should allow me to masquerade as Safari on iOS

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It seems quite easy to do though I just use the flash version on an older phone as anyone can (it won’t be removed from your device just not forward compatible). It can still be downloaded from adobe.

You should all go back to getting excited over your next i-con and leave us to suffer in out technical stone age 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

GrahamS – you are completely right – The BBC just need to show they are taking steps to prevent the theft. If they were *really* trying to stop it, get_iplayer wouldn’t work!! 🙂

Rachel

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Flash….’ is closed to new replies.