Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Flared drops on adventure type bikes. Why?
  • superjohn71
    Free Member

As per the title really ~ what advantage does having a flared drop off road serve over conventional drops? I read an article that suggested that the extra width gave better control off road; wouldn’t a wider normal drop do the same? It also appears that you loose out on handlebar space when you are riding not on the drops, if you see what I mean. So what am I missing?

The main reason for asking is that I’m about to start building this type of bike and the bars are one of the few things I haven’t got lying around and will have to buy in, so was wondering if I should give them a whirl.

mattsccm
    Free Member

The drops are really comfy with flared bars. If I could find narrow ones I’d use them on the road bike. You don’t lose space on the tops as they are generally wider and what do you need all that space for?
    Don’t forget that you use the drops on the rough stuff especially downhills.
    The wrist position is good, indeed to my feeling more natural.
    I use Midge bars.

djflexure

I just put some semi flared cow chippers on a monster cross build and the position feels a bit more natural than conventional drops. More control off road seems accurate from my first impressions. Just wish I had them on my winter road bike.
    Handlebar space wouldn’t have occurred to me as an issue, even with 2 x lights and computer its fine on a 44″.

househusband

Well… I wasn’t sure but now I’m convinced. I’ve got a Specialized Sequoia Elite and it has riser-drop-flared bars fitted, seemingly very ‘Marmite’ amongst folk here. I’m smitten with them, particularly with the longer hoods that the hydraulic brakes offer – an incredibly comfortable riding position. I’m considering trying some Ritchey Comp EvoMax bars on my Road Logic, not that my road bike gets ridden much at all these days!

jonnyboi

Had to spend some time getting the right hood position and bar angle on my alpkit bombers. Was disappointed at first but since I’ve raised the hoods and angled the bars up the are a revelation. Hands on the hoods is quite a natural fit and prevents any kinks in the wrist ( I have carpel tunnel issues) plenty of room on the tops and now I can one finger brake heading down rough stuff on the drops.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Road drops are too low in the drops for control*, also too narrow, and not enough clearance for your wrists.

*Modern compacts may not be so bad, I don’t know, theyre not for me

mtbfix

I had Midges on my bit of everything bike. They were great. Nice position on the drops for more engaging riding even if the aero tuck was not the best but who cares about that? Not I. The new bike has a very slight flare but is more or less a std drop and I don’t like it as much.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Afaik, historically the drops on road bikes became ‘un-flared’ as road surfaces improved. So they’re not a radical development.

Flared/ angled bars are more comfy, but you need to clamp them up fairly tight and they make it harder to lean your bike against a wall. Prolly explains why Dutch bikes have kickstands too…

mtbfix

Fwiw the bottom of the drop in Midges is very short. If you have big hands you might need to look elsewhere.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well… I wasn’t sure but now I’m convinced. I’ve got a Specialized Sequoia Elite and it has riser-drop-flared bars fitted, seemingly very ‘Marmite’ amongst folk here. I’m smitten with them,

Me too on both counts. One of the best bits of a very good bike IMO.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Champagne type cork works well as bar and plug on Midges or those rubber plugs that are secured with a bolt

scotroutes

I run Woodchippers on my tourer. I find them more comfy than standard drop bars for both road and off-road riding.

oxym0r0n

I really like the Salsa Cowbells – just seem to put my hands in the right position in the drops on and off road

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

I maybe alone but I didn’t get on with the 46cm Cowchippers I bought and tried on my Arkose. Possibly more so though because of the width rather than the flare. They weren’t hard to sell on, so don’t regret giving them a go.

jet26
    Free Member

Hated the flare drops on my arkose. Much prefer normal compact deda drop bars. Didn’t find flares better in any way.

Maybe I missed something!

superjohn71
    Free Member

You’ve have all convinced me to give them a go, so off I pop to Alpkit website to pick up a pair of their cheapo flared drops, and they have sold out. Pantaloons!! Can anyone suggest anywhere (not DFS) with similar priced alternatives?

househusband

You’ve have all convinced me to give them a go, so off I pop to Alpkit website to pick up a pair of their cheapo flared drops, and they have sold out. Pantaloons!! Can anyone suggest anywhere (not DFS) with similar priced alternatives?

The Specialized Hover bars are £40 from Specialized dealers… just Googled them and a fiver off orders over £30 offer just popped up on Sigma Sport website…

northshoreniall

Can’t quite make out as on phone – are those specialized bars flared? Decent alternative to woodchippers? Guess the rise may save needing greater rise stem for the woodchippers?

wiggles
    Free Member

I don’t think the hover bars for sale aftermarket are flared. Just the standard ones from the Roubaix. Not seen the sequoia ones listed for sale anywhere.

househusband

I don’t think that the Specialized Hover bars are as flared as the Woodchippers, but they are flared. Don’t know if the aftermarket ones are or aren’t any different; I’d have hoped they’d be the same..?

wiggles
    Free Member

The ones on the sequoa are listed as “adventure gear hover bars” whereas the roubaix is just hover bar and that is what they sell aftermarket so just a riser not flared.

househusband

The ones on the sequoa are listed as “adventure gear hover bars” whereas the roubaix is just hover bar and that is what they sell aftermarket so just a riser not flared.

Aah – gotcha! Shame.

siwhite
    Free Member

I’ve got some silver Midges cluttering up the place if you’d like to try them? Bung me a few quid to cover postage and they are yours…

superjohn71
    Free Member

Siwhite – I’ve sent you an email.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Flared drops on adventure type bikes. Why?’ is closed to new replies.