Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Flapjack recipies?
  • RustySpanner

Go on, share your favourite ones. 🙂

Thanks you!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

All depends on the oats you use. You can buy a Granola of your choice and use that. Dead easy. Then just butter and sugar.

z1ppy

again been recommended to use rubbish oats over good quality one (or use a lower % of good to crap)

This was the last one I made, rather nice, though IIRC I doubled the recipe and added more almond extract

oh not exactly flapjack but bloody great all the same River Cottage Honey peanutbutter booster bars

lw246
    Free Member

I’m not sure of the exact quantities as I’m normally guessing and going by how it looks but…

3 or 4 bananas
    A load of Dates
    Some raisins
    Chopped/Crushed/Broken up walnuts
    3 or 4 BIG spoons of peanut butter
    a bit of olive oil (40ml ish)
    Loads of Oats

Mash the bananas up. Add the Dates, raisins, walnuts.
    Mix in the oats until the mixture looks quite dry
    Heat the peanut butter and olive oil gently in a saucepan until runny and mixed together.
    Add Peanut butter mixture to the oats and mix. It should now be dry, but hold together if you squash it.

Put in a try lined with baking paper and cook in the oven at 170ish for around 30-40mins

Also very tasty if you melt some chocolate and pour over the top.

Make sure you cut while warm 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

400 grams of ant old oats
    1 block of unsalted butter.
    2 big spoons of peanut butter. (if you dont add this then only put 200 grams of sugar in.)
    250 grams of brown sugar
    50 grams of honey or a good 5 spoon fulls
    150 of the dried fruit of your choice.

Crag
    Free Member
    RustySpanner

neilsonwheels – Member

400 grams of ant old oats
    1 block of unsalted butter.
    2 big spoons of peanut butter. (if you dont add this then only put 200 grams of sugar in.)
    250 grams of brown sugar
    50 grams of honey or a good 5 spoon fulls
    150 of the dried fruit of your choice.

Oooh, we had some ants in the garden – I’ll have another look in the morning. 🙂

Thanks folks – keep ’em coming. 😀

rene59
    Free Member

Got this from an old Trail magazine from few years ago, bit of an effort gathering ingredients but results were good.

PDF from magazine can be found here – http://abbyharman.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/trail-nutrition-0908-flapjack.pdf

The healthiest flapjack ever?

“This flapjack has no added sugar!” says nutritionist Abby Harman. “And it contains key nutrients for energy production, detoxification, muscular support and hydration, all vital while exercising.” Try this recipe and tell us what you think.

Ingredients

3 organic apples
    300ml apple juice
    1tbsp ginger (grated)
    2tsp ‘Seagreens’ from Waitrose or a pinch of quality sea salt
    4 cups of porridge oats
    100ml olive oil
    1tbsp cinnamon
    100ml cup of nuts
    100ml cup of pumpkin and flax seeds
    200ml cup of dates
    100ml cup of raisins
    100ml cup of goji berries
    1tsp blackstrap molasses

Equipment

Baking tin, greaseproof paper, blender, pan, 2 bowls, 200ml cup

Method

1 Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
    Chop apples, grate ginger and stew in large pan with 200ml apple juice and Seagreens or salt until apples are soft.
    2 Blend nuts so some chunks are left. Stir in seeds and put to one side in bowl
    3 Blend dates and raisins with 100ml apple juice – also put to one side in another bowl and stir in the goji berries
    4 Blend apple and ginger stew to make puree. Spoon 1 tbsp of this into the chopped nuts. Pour the rest back to the large pan and stir in oats, cinnamon and olive oil.
    5 Spoon half this mixture into greaseproof-paper-lined baking tin in a thin layer.
    6 Spread the date, raisin, goji berry mix on top, leaving a little to add to the nuts.
    7 Spoon the rest of the oat mixture on top, bit by bit, to make a ‘sandwich’.
    8 Add a teaspoon of molasses to the nut, seed, puree, date mixture and mix until evenly sticky. Spread it over the oats.
    9 Bake 20 minutes or until browned and firm. Allow to cool, cut into squares and enjoy!

IHN

Ignore all the poncey flapjack frippery above. What you need is:

6oz sugar
    6oz golden syrup
    9oz butter
    15oz oats
    A good teaspoon of dried ginger

If you like/must, bung a good handful of died fruit in.

Melt the butter, sugar and syrup together, stir in the rest, put in well buttered tray in the oven for about 40 mins.

Done.

allthepies
    Free Member

I was thinking of soaking raisins in sloe gin before using in a flapjack recipe, do you think that would work or would the raisins puff up too much ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use dates, dark choc in one recipe
    Cherries and Almonds in another
    Walnuts and white choc in another

They last about a week all in then the process starts all over again..

skeetsgb
    Free Member

with regards your oats

normal oats usually give a chewie flapjack where jumbo oats give a more crumbly texture as they absorb more.
    i tend to do what IHN does, but usally drizzle some bitter choc on the top when there finished.

jkomo

My last batch were rock hard, I swapped half the butter for sunflower oil.
    How do you get soft ones?
    I always stick a load of sunflower seeds in for protein.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

From mrsmikey-simmo:

500g oats
    300g butter
    4 serving spoons golden syrup
    340g Demerara sugar
    1/2 tin condensed milk

Melt butter in pan, add sugar and heat gently until sugar mostly dissolved but take care not to let it boil. Add golden syrup and condensed milk and stir well to mix then add oats. Don’t add so many oats that it becomes dry. Line large tin with baking paper and put mixture in to a depth of ~2-3 cm. bake at 180 deg C for about 15-20 mins until slightly brown around the edges. Don’t over bake or they will be too hard. The other thing you can do is to slice up some cooking apples thinly and microwave with a generous sprinkle of cinnamon then put half flapjack in tin, lay apple slices on top then cover with rest of flapjack mix.

This recipe makes a lot and they are seriously calorific but cut into small squares and pop in freezer then take one out as and when so that you don’t scoff the lot in one go. Use bits of grease proof paper to separate layers of flapjack pieces in the tub so they come out individually rather than one lump!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Condensed milk makes them squidgy according yo the wife

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Flapjack recipies?’ is closed to new replies.