Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Flaming punctures !
  • bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Just got back from doing blencathra and skiddaw.Had a good time apart from front wheel puctures (three in total).All were when I was going downhill and braking.Had a couple of hairy moments stopping but by more good luck than management I managed to stop on :lol:.On taking the tyre off I discovered that I hadn't had a pucture as such,more that the valve had ripped clean from the inner tube 8O.Never had this happen to me before and to have it three times in one ride seems very unusual.Any idea why ?.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I've had it happen to, guessing the tyre is sliding slighlty on the rim and pulling the tube round?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Yes thats what I was thinking.It just seemed strange to get three in one ride.It must be my fantastic good luck :roll:.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What pump do you use? Could be pulling the valve around as you inflate.

M6TTF
    Free Member

The answer is tubeless 😉

ollie
    Free Member

guessing the tyre is sliding slighlty on the rim and pulling the tube round?

This.

The answer is tubeless

And This.

warpcow
    Free Member

The answer is tubeless

Or just some talc in the tire to lower the friction between tire and tube. It used to happen to a friend all the time. He was a serial tire-changer but a little talc a couple of years ago put paid to it completely.

nickjb
    Free Member

It is an odd phenomenon. Happened to our group about 5 times in one morning in the Pyrenees. Used all our spare tubes up and had to walk the last bit down. Tried in vain to patch/glue it. Stocked up on tubes at lunch and it never happened again that weekend.

Lots of possible fixes, some suggest talc on the tube so the tyre can rotate without taking the tube with it. A friend puts a couple of dots of superglue on the bead only on one side. You could roughen the tyre/rim interface. I've not had it happen since I switched from skinwall tyres but I run fairly high pressures.

MrNutt
    Free Member

All three of the above

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Don't go tubeless until you have tried

THESE

Set up correctly (which is a doddle) they're great.

Failing that, stick some tyre sealant into some tubes.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies,will try the talc suggestion for next time.

charliedontsurf

More pressure and talc.
    I have fouund schwalbe tubes to be more reliable than others. You can also go for the ultralight ones, remove the valve and add a little sealant, I go about 50ml per tube. This sorts out minor thorn punctures.

Drac

The answer is tubeless

Going off my pit bitching yesterday I'd say balls to that.

Talc and pressure or better tubes if you bought cheap ones.

oldgit
    Free Member

Having too small an inner tube causes this as well. My mate took his brand new Trek (can't recall the model)he bought for the Alps, and had a succession of punctures just riding the Chilterns. It had been fitted with 1.75/1.95 tubes the tyres were 2.35s.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Flaming punctures !’ is closed to new replies.