Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Flagged ride on Strava
  • servo
    Free Member

I am fairly new to Strava, only having used it for a few weeks. Mostly do training rides on my road bike. I take my best bike to work sometimes for a longer ride home.

I got a couple of KOMs near my work, on a rolling bit of road. Get an email a week later saying someone has beaten it easily.

Couple of weeks later I really go for it and treat it like the last km of a road race and I get the KOM by 1 second 🙂 Knackered for the next 5 miles but recovered eventually.

Next day look it up again and my ride is Flagged – saying part of ride done in vehicle!

Clicked the button to say it was OK and done on my bike and the flag was removed.

Looked a few days ago and the flag is back. Contacted Strava and they looked at my ride and said it was fine. They implied that another user had flagged my ride.

The only user who knew that I had got the KOM was the guy who had the KOM before who seems to have loads of local KOMs.

A bit annoyed that someone thinks I’m cheating. Know how Chris Froome feels like now! Segment only took about 1.5 minutes to do.

cloudnine
    Free Member

We need to see your full blood results and bio passport

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a local near me who “Checks” peoples strava’s if they are going faster than he thinks they can and flags for GPS inaccuracies etc. some people need a life

mooman
    Free Member

Yes – certain types of strava-heroes do flag rides.
    I personally wouldn’t take any notice – strava is just a bit of meaningless fun. No need to be drawn into taking it too serious.

xora

Sounds like the same sort of douchebag who used to go round flagging all segments they couldn’t attain KOM on as dangerous.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I’ve had the same thing happen, lifes too short, it’s not as if you get a medal for most amount of KOM’s :p

njee20
    Free Member

I’ll flag a ride if it’s genuinely in a car, but that’s just massive twattery. You’d think if Strava have genuinely approved it they’d be able to make it ‘unflaggable’.

You could comment on the rise of the guy in second, to ask why he’s being a tosser?

rsvktm

I get flagged every so often, njee is right once Strava involved it can’t be flagged again. A local round here sets quite a few segments up and if he loses them has been known to change the segment so he gets it back… Strava is great fun for those that can see the funny side 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Link to segment?

johnnystorm

Create a second account and systematically flag every ride said user has ever done. 😉

Northwind

I don’t know if this is actually right, but strava told me the same person can’t flag the same ride twice.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ll flag rides that are obviously done in a car. I.e some one rides around the woods at 8mph then goes to to the carpark and sets of up a hill at 40mph. But don’t sweat it, if your kom is genuine let Strava know and you’ll keep it.
    Nothing wrong in flagging obvious errors on Strava, it’s more fun for everyone if the leader boards are as accurate as possible.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve flagged one or two very dubious KOMs locally – steady 30mph up a segment that is 16% in parts sort of dubious – possibly “forgot” to turn off the GPS.

On the other hand I’ve had one of my rides flagged – I got an email from one of the Strava team – when I looked at the ride there was a section where I’d done 20mph up and down hill for about two miles getting a couple of KOMs in the process, the rest of the route was fine. I’d definitely ridden the route on the day in question but not at that speed so the GPS had screwed up. I just deleted the ride.

scuttler

Challenge him/her to a race – you know a real race where real people ride really against each other. Then when you beat him kick him off his bike.

servo
    Free Member

I don’t have many KOMs! And I bust a gut getting that one (26 mph) so I was very miffed when my honour was questioned.

Don’t want to get even, but I agree that some people are a bit odd.
    I did look at the ride of the guy and described it as 2-up time trial training with his mate so I beat them both!
    Maybe his mate flagged it as well.

I do find some of the segments on real hills a bit strange. Especially the ones that finish before the top! Doing OK on the longer segments that cover the run in to the hill, the steep bit and then the bit after the top. Not doing great on the short segments on the steep bits as normally I am just riding fairly hard all the time.

mudshark
    Free Member

KOMs are a funny thing really. I ride in the Surrey Hills where thousands of cyclists do their thing regularly so KOMs are a rare thing, I just look at what percentile I’m in and if I’m beating my club mates :). If you just want KOMs then create private segments! I do this for my training loops, as like to see how I’m doing, and was surprised to see KOMs reported as it’s a bit silly really. Far prefer longer segments or proper climbs – the 100 climbs ones are good to go for, often filter out stupid segments though there are so many it’s too much of a chore really.

Northwind

Whoever it is that holds the KOM for the road from Glentress to Peebles must spend a lot of time defending it, I’ve accidentally stolen it off him about 20 times 😆

Agree with Mudshark though, if you KOM a really popular segment that’s honestly a pretty big deal (if you care about strava anyway). But mine are all like 1/26 people! Not any better than being in the top few percent of 10000.

jimjam
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

There is a local near me who “Checks” peoples strava’s if they are going faster than he thinks they can and flags for GPS inaccuracies etc. some people need a life

Or a T-Shirt 🙂

Stravasshole

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

but I agree that some people are a bit odd.

People that get annoyed with Strava?

It’s not a race; if you want to test yourself against others, enter a challenging sportive.

DT78
    Free Member

I look for percentiles too, on most of the ridden routes the local pelaton, with a tail wind have smashed through there at some point so no chance of getting high up solo.

I also see a few guys riding around in full TT gear out KOM hunting.

Would have thought it gets boring after a while, though I have gone out on a quiet sunday morning to get the segments on my commute….

servo
    Free Member

I meant that most people who are beaten on a KOM would take it on the chin and maybe go and try to take it back sometime in the future. I think someone whose first response is to flag the ride and cry ‘cheat’ is a bit odd.

I know it’s not a race. I joined to add another dimension to my rides.
    I am a 2nd cat road racer, was elite for 10 years but just do enough races to keep my license now.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I know it’s not a race. I joined to add another dimension to my rides.
    I am a 2nd cat road racer, was elite for 10 years but just do enough races to keep my license now

That’s it; you’ve still got the competitive spirit! 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Agree with Mudshark though, if you KOM a really popular segment that’s honestly a pretty big deal (if you care about strava anyway). But mine are all like 1/26 people! Not any better than being in the top few percent of 1000

I’m quite pleased to be 73/24977 on one of the Leith Hill segments, top 0.3%! Harder fought than most of my KOMs!

joeydeacon
    Free Member

I used to do a bit of KOM hunting on strava (trying to set them, not delete them!).. one climb in particular I was 2nd place on, with another rider comfortably beating me by 15 secs or so.

However someone kept on flagging his ride, as I constantly received alerts as the new KOM holder, and then alerted again when his ride was rightfully reinstated.. he must be thinking that it was me who was always flagging it as I had the most to gain by doing so.. no idea who was questioning, but it made me paranoid I was looking like a sore loser..

pmcclure
    Free Member

This segment is So wrong Bardsea Nr Ulverston. Its been flagged by myself (I’m second and don’t know how). The response I got was that it had been previously flagged and it it was ok.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s just a stupid short segment. There’s nothing wrong with the times per se, it’s just outside the limits of GPS sampling. Not worth worrying about segments that short.

allthepies
    Free Member

2 second segment! 😆

jam-bo

2 second segment!

I’ve got an 8s long KoM…

edit: or I did, some **** flagged me…

rOcKeTdOg

Someone took my 1min 52seconds KOM with a total time of 22 seconds! You couldn’t even do that on a motorcycle, couldn’t be arsed to find out how to flag something though

taxi25
    Free Member

Post up the segment, I’ll do it for you 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I had a KOM, never got an email to say I lost it 🙁

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Flagged ride on Strava’ is closed to new replies.