Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fizik M5B Boa shoes – anyone ?
  • somafunk

Anyone on here tried the Fzik M5B Boa shoes?, anything good/bad to report about them?

Fizik m5b mtb shoes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If they’re anything like the road ones they’re brilliantly well made but on the narrow side.

Replaced mine with bontranger shoes and amazed at the nosedive in overall quality and design (but they fit).

Gotama
    Free Member

I have the previous M5 shoes. Seem very well made and everything about them is comfortable…apart from the fact they’re too narrow for me. I think they’re comparable to sidi on width if that’s any help. I’m now in a pair of Giro privateer HV to give some perspective on why they’re too narrow for me. They’re so supple in the uppers I thought they would be ok when I first got the M5s, hence why I wore them. Anyway, if you happen to be a size 48 then I have a pair of very lightly used ones you can have cheap to try out if that is of any interest.

somafunk

Cheers peeps, I’ve used sidi’s for 20+ years so I’m happy with the fit of them, it seems the fizik are of a similar fit so thats good, I’ve ordered a 43 so we’ll see what they are like t’morn.

Gee76
    Free Member

Have they turned up yet Soma?, these quite caught my eye too.

I’d be rather interested in some feedback. I’m a size 42-43 normally (44 in Shimano tho), re they as slim as purported and is the sole any grippier than it looks?

Ta
    G

singletracksurfer

The good news is that BOA have a lifelong warranty.

The bad news is that it’s needed, mine died VERY quickly.

somafunk

They turned up last week and i’ve had a few rides in them so far. The fit is identical to my Sidi’s (in my opinion) so a 43 in sidi was spot on for the 43 in fizik, there was a few loose threads which i was surprised with so i burned them off rather than cutting so i hope they were just cosmetic. The boa system seems to work very well and they are very easy to get a perfect fit so the shoe doesn’t pinch across the uppers. I’ll have to fit toe studs as the front tread is quite minimal and i can see it getting worn down quickly. Loads of wiggle/width room in the toe box area so i’m happy with that. I’ve only used them on the tripster so far so i can’t comment on grip off road but the tread is not hard plastic so i imagine it will grip well, perhaps at the expense of longevity but i wear shoes out at an alarming rate due to dragging my right leg so if they last me through the summer i’ll be happy enough.

Gee76
    Free Member

Ah cheers Soma, I was hoping the sole was a bit softer than it looked. I tend to not walk very far in bike shoes but if I have to get off I like a softer grippier rubber to the hard plastic of some more xc type shoes.

I’d probably be using mine for summer mtb riding and also for use on my gravel/disc commuter so may be similar to you. Is the sole still relatively stiff can you tell?. I’m a bit torn between one pair of shoes for commuting and mtb use or two pairs but I’m not sure how much of an improvement I might notice with road specific shoes. Running M162’s at the mo which fel fairly stiff but they’re falling to bits a bit now :o(

somafunk

I used to have a pair of shimano m162 shoes and they had a fair amount of flex for walking but the fizik have no flex, although it’s not carbon like my old sidi dragons it’s still a very stiff sole – you will not feel any flex when on the pedals at all.

The sole is grippy enough so that you’ll not be skating about on pavement and suchlike.

Gee76
    Free Member

Cheers again Soma, your a gent. They certainly sound up to the job then. I quite like they’re quirky looks, somehow seem a good mtb-road crossover to me.

I’ll put them on the shortlist. Just gotta find them at a good price now. Were you a 44 in the m162’s BTW?

somafunk

I bought a 42 in the M162’s as they seemed to fit me fine in the shop with the usual walkabout test but after the first ride (and cleats fitted) i realised i should have bought a 43, DOH!.

You can find the Fizik here at Bike24 for €159 or £113 , i wanted them quickly (next day) so i bought mine from wiggle.

Gee76
    Free Member

Typical eh.

Not in a massive rush, as long as my sole stays attached. I’ll do some shopping around though just need on-one or merlins to get hold of em and do a special price:)

Otherwise maybe go to the Germans unless something else catches my eye. Thanks again Soma.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fizik M5B Boa shoes – anyone ?’ is closed to new replies.