Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fixing XTR brakes??
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

I have a set of XTR brakes that I’m having problems with.

The rear pads keep getting contaminated and don’t have any braking power… probably because of the contamination. I’m thinking I have a slight leak on the piston seal. (Change pads they are good for a bit then next ride they have no power again. )

Is this something that I can service / change myself? (I know how to bleed brakes, but not taken one to bits before…) Also any ideas on where to get a the bits?

They aren’t the latest XTR brakes, probably the previous edition

Many thanks for you help.

Z.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No seals available for shimano brakes. Full calliper only. You might be able to get a cheaper shimano caliper that uses the same seals and strip that for the parts

orange225
    Free Member

If they’re the two piece ones (like my saints) you may be able to fix em, with mine, I pulled them apart, cleaned them up with thinners then applied a load of silicone sealant on the two halves and also in the part where the o ring sits, put back together then left a couple of days before bleeding, been fine for six months

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BrickMan

^^ at the end of the day, most of them seal the pistons with pretty bogo o-rings. take it out then take them down the bearing/hydraulic shop and they’ll likely be able to find a part!

Always found it very cunning of shimano not to supply parts

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Brickman – no generic equivalents available for shimano and it is not an o ring anyway – its a square section seal

mikewsmith
    Free Member

New brakes? Under 2 years Old? Not Working Properly?

Return under warranty?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its a square section seal with a lip on it – the square section seal wasnt an issue but getting one with a lip prooved impossible

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I had the exact same problem with my 2012 Xt’s!

I got mine from Rose Bikes, Germany.

Sent it back under warranty and they sent it back with a brand new caliper – no explanation as to the fault?

I fitted the new caliper and headed off to Glentress for a run.

Took it into Alpine bikes to get it bled.

The Mechanic called me into the workshop and showed me that a tiny bit of fluid was seeping out where the two piece caliper joins together!

Only sent that one back to Rose last week, so no word yet.

I have also heard that the crimping machine that attaches the Banjo fitting to the hoses in the Shimano factory was faulty and they had lots of warranty issues with that –

Guess this could also cause fluid to get onto your pads, depending on the angle your hose meets your caliper?

Alan.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

What bike from Rose mate? Whats your expereince of them, prices look good.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I just bought brakes off them. Service is very good and excellent delivery time.

I have been unfortunate with my brake issue – Nothing to do with Rose.

Rickos
    Free Member

Try new pads (or sand down the current ones a bit) and a new or different disc first (unless it’s obviously leaking of course). Just did this yesterday (sanded pads and popped on an old disc I had) and my brakes now work and don’t squeal so loud that I feel embarrassed to actually use them!

I’d previously just changed pads but they still squealed, so there was clearly some sort of contamination on the disc despite cleaning it lots with Speed Clean.

PaulD
    Free Member

XTR and Dura-Ace have longer warranty; I think it is 3 years.

PaulD

bwaarp
    Free Member

Should have bought Hope.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Brakes were 2nd hand and I’ve had them a couple of years now anyhow so no chance of warranty. It’s definite a leak. I can change pads to make them work for 1 ride but by the next they are contaminated again. What a pain you can’t get parts for them ;(. I will check the tubes / banjos ad clean up to see if I can work out where the leak is coming from.

Z.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fixing XTR brakes??’ is closed to new replies.