Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fixing TV to the side of a wardrobe
  • alanf
    Free Member

I’m looking to attach a TV to the side of a wardrobe.
    There doesn’t seem to be a suitable other location in the room for it (8 year old girls bedroom who likes to mess with things).
    Its a 23″ screen so not massive and not too weighty.

I’m thinking a fixed bracket rather than one on an arm so it can be tilted but not rotated.

The problem is fixing it and how not to damage the wardrobe in the process.
    I was thinking a largish piece of conti board on the inside with some big washers to spread the weight.

Is this a bad idea and will it just pull out of the board?

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’d have thought some coach bolts would do the trick – provided the wardrobe isn’t weighted over too much.

some M6 coach bolts – or whatever the fixing bracket allows – perhaps in 4 positions would do the job I’d have thought. And then hacksaw off the excess thread on the inside

I can’t see how to do it without drilling holes in the wardrobe unless there’s a better idea

alanf
    Free Member

Cheers Fingerbang. I’ll look into the coach bolts.
    I’ve had a good think and can’t think of a way to do it without drilling.
    I was thinking some protection on the inside (the conti board) so if things start to come a bit unstuck it would damage that rather than the wardrobe and it would be hidden with the doors closed and also not look too out of place with the rest of the wardrobe.

fingerbang
    Free Member

hi, forgot to add – a coach bolt is perhaps the wrong screw cos it has a square ‘flange’ that’s designed to embed in wood and prevent twisting. This won’t fit onto your fixing bracket.

so you want a fully threaded roofing bolt or suchlike. Just a threaded bolt that has a nut on the other side

midlifecrashes

Assuming a wardrobe side made of faced chipboard of some description, I’d be wanting some regular timber somewhere to take the pull out load of the weight of a fairly big telly.

Ideally 2 pieces just bigger than the size of the bracket, placed one inside, one outside the wardrobe and screwed though to spread the load, then screw your bracket to the outside one with good screws. Smooth the edges of the wood inside, to save it catching on clothes.

Oh, and check the fixings between the side and roof of the wardrobe, and beef them up if necessary to keep it all square.

trail_rat
    Free Member

That would be a hex head all thread bolt.

gavstorie
    Free Member

is it a 26,29 or 650b wardrobe.?

This is the bike forum

Slogo
    Free Member

I would use pronged tee nuts.

Ive Fitted hundreds of TVs using these to similar wooden materials.

scotroutes

7 responses and not one castigating you for fitting a TV in an 8-year olds bedroom? STW is slipping.

Slogo
    Free Member

Scotroutes, Its the cheapest baby sitter he can find.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fixing TV to the side of a wardrobe’ is closed to new replies.