Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fixing torn tubeless sidewalls with those slug things
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just had my first experience of fitting a slug thing to my tyre. Luckily, I still had the instructions and it went in without too much hassle, and the tyre inflated. Despite trimming to approx 3mm proud as stated in the instructions, by the time I got home, its sticking out quite a bit more. Should I trim it again? Is it safe to leave in forever now, or is it just a temporary fix?

parkesie
    Free Member

Jam another one in or just patch the tyre now your home. Ive torn a side wall and used 3 of them to seal it must of been a month before i patched the tyre.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Where do people get the anchovy/slug things from?

Any preferred makes?

Mugboo

I’ve used weldtite and never bothered to patch them later.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve had 1 in 5 fixes fail – done right and for the right hole they’re a permanent fix.

I got a load of generic ones off ebay much cheaper than repair kits – the weldtite kit is good, though.

Kahurangi

IME the worm will work its way out of 1 in 10 holes, probably as the hole is too big. It’ll get you home, maybe even last a few weeks but you’ll want to put a patch in from the inside.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers.
    I’ll get the tyre off and patch it then….

thomthumb
    Free Member

what patch for the inside of the tyre then?

tthew

Bin dun recently. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/patching-tubeless-tyres

Kahurangi

I’ve used regular inner tube patches before but managed to pinch puncture one of those too 😆

For something tougher I’d try a tyre boot. So long as it holds, the sealant should be able to do its job.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fixing torn tubeless sidewalls with those slug things’ is closed to new replies.