Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fixing shimano shifters- will it expode?
  • scruff
    Free Member

LH shifter (XTR M970) has been problematic for a while, it sometimes doesnt let the gear cable through when changing into the granny ring (same with different cables and F Mechs). I press the lever and nothing happens like somethings stuck internally. Are they take apartable ? I remember taking the guts out of a 7spd one years ago and it was a *bit* complex.

Alex

I took my XT ones apart a while ago when the end of the cable sheared and wouldn’t come out. Wasn’t too bad at all but I never got as far as removing any springs or anything.

Bit of a faff, but definitely doable to see if anything is obviously wrong.

cynic-al
    Free Member

On the ones I’ve had a look at (90s 7s) there’s a reverse-thread nut to come off and I think most of the stuff underneath can be held on if you’re careful.

Certianly worth opening up and seeing what’s going on – you may not need to dissemble to diagnose.

clubber
    Free Member

They’re fiddly but if you’re mechanically minded, you should be ok.

I’d suggest taking it apart in a plastic bag or similar to catch any small parts that fly out 🙂

gazc
    Free Member

with my old xt’s (not latest ones) stripping the case off and giving it a good old dose of gt85 helped to free up the crud that got in the mechanism and jammed it without having to take it to bits any further – maybe worth a punt before you unleash the springs and ratchets! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fixing shimano shifters- will it expode?’ is closed to new replies.