Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fixing road bike innertubes…
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’ve come to fix a fresh puncture tonight, start blowing it up to test it (not yet back in the wheel), poom…. another puncture appears,….fix that,….blow up,…..poom….a 6mm long hole appears to the lower side of that patch.

I always feel that a patched road bike innertube will always give a bit of an uneven ride, because it deforms the tube?

I’m using those park patches, which appear to be pretty useless…

any recommendations, apart from going for tubs or buying more spares?

The innertubes are Specialized for what it’s worth, can anyone recommend better innertubes?

jonk

I always use tip top patches

simondbarnes

I always use Tip Top patches (and Specialized inner tubes)

marmaduke
    Free Member

I’m a firm believer in poundland repair kits

simondbarnes

Oh and never pump up tubes outside of a tyre to test a patch

garage-dweller

What pressure are you pumping them to without a tyre to hold them in one piece?

My understanding is the tyre stops them stretching beyond their design limits and tearing, which could be your problem.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

thanks for the top Tip Top tip 😀

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I think you guys have hit the nail truly on thine head.

Lesson learnt!

cheers

wilburt
    Free Member

Gp4seasons you’ll get one puncture a year if your unlucky so just stick a new tube in and fix the old one properly or bin it.

TiRed

Topeak flypaper for instant fixes. I found the Park patches go off and start to leak. Tip Top for permanent fixes. Be patient and allow the glue to cure (unless a latex tube, then just go for it!)

benji
    Free Member

Don’t bother, save them up and pass them onto beerbabe at a race, they are then turned into wallets and other items.

aracer
    Free Member

I know this has already been answered, but it seems the answer was in the question:

I regularly use patched tubes on my roadie and can’t tell the difference (can’t be sure whether the tubes I currently have in are patched or not). Though I never patch at the roadside, simply carry 2 lightweight spare tubes. Patched with Tip Top naturally.

GrahamS

I carry those Park Super Patches, but really just for a roadside backup to my spare tube.
    Not sure I’d trust them as a permanent repair, but they get you home.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I just carry proper patches does the job of permanenty repairing the tube quickly and permanently or did i say that already?

Scapegoat

Nowt wrong with patching them, but I use proper glue and patches. Takes what, a couple of minutes to patch it, then the pressure from inflating it inside the tyre does all the pressing onto the tube the patch needs. Inflating it outside the tyre will never work!

kudos
    Free Member

I always feel that a patched road bike innertube will always give a bit of an uneven ride, because it deforms the tube?

Absolutely… But only noticeable if you inflate your tyre to 2,000psi and ride across a polished marble floor with your testicles tucked under your arse. 🙄

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I suspect most inner tubes are made in the same few factories so I reckon it’s unlikely Specialized would be any better or worse than any other decent name brand.

My front roadie tube has 3 patches on now (as of yesterday!), and I can’t say I notice any deformity when I’m riding! They’re proper patches- I carry the Park glueless ones as a backup to my spare tube, but if I’m fixing at home I’ll always use real ones.

Not sure now how the first 2 patches got on there since I don’t put old ones back on if I’ve swapped them on the road…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m using those park patches, which appear to be pretty useless…

Thats just reminded me that a patched a road tube last month with a park patch which I meant to replace with a proper patch when I got home but forgot all about it.

So clearly not useless. 😀

GrahamS

then the pressure from inflating it inside the tyre does all the pressing onto the tube the patch needs.

Squeezing the vulcanising solution out the sides, risking the inner tube welding itself to the inside of the tyre. 😀

kudos
    Free Member

Squeezing the vulcanising solution out the sides, risking the inner tube welding itself to the inside of the tyre.

You’ve obviously not read the instructions or been shown how to mend a puncture. The vulcanising solution should be dry, there’s no chance of squeezage.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think someone needs to explain the logic in patching with a self adhesive patch to then go home and repair it properly?

How long/difficult do people think it takes?!

kudos
    Free Member

The Park self-adhesive patches come in a little plastic case, about the size of a stamp… Or a patch even. So takes up no room in the pocket.
    There’s no faffing about with glue tubes, which in unfavourable conditions is far from fun.
    I carry 1 spare tube and a packet of patches in case I get more than one puncture.

GrahamS

You’ve obviously not read the instructions or been shown how to mend a puncture. The vulcanising solution should be dry, there’s no chance of squeezage.

Yeah I know how to mend a puncture with a traditional kit (and do frequently). 😀

But Scapegoat was commenting how fast it was to use a traditional kit suggesting he wasn’t following TiRed’s sage advice to “Be patient and allow the glue to cure”.

As you say the self-adhesive patches are smaller, less faff, less bits to lose, and quicker too.

I didn’t realise so many people apparently carry old skool puncture repair kits around with them for roadside use – to me those are solely for use at home, when I decide to tackle my big bag of punctured tubes, in front of the fire with a beer at hand 😀

singletrackmind

AFAIUI the Park patches are only supposed to be a tempory fix to get you home , where a proper glue and patch repair can be instigated at your leisure.

I use the Lezyne salf adhesive patch kits, which are more a permenant fix. The glue is excellent and once applied and squeezed for 10 secs are good to go . Still carry one spare tube with me though.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fixing road bike innertubes…’ is closed to new replies.