Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fixing ripped sidewalls on Tubeless Tyres
  • frepster
    Free Member

Has anyone had any luck with doing this, I now have 4 ust and TLR tyres with ripped sidewalls which is getting rather ridiculous. The tears arent massive, not more than 10mm. I have used those rubber strips on holes on the tyre crown but they dont seal the sidewall as good. I have tried patching with regular tube patches but they dont stick despite my best efforts at cleaning the area first.

I have been looking at the bigger reinforced car or tractor tyre patches on ebay with hopefully stronger vulcanising cement, Anyone done this successfully.

And yes I know I can use tubes and I am doing but like tubeless and dont want to write it off just yet.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Velox tubeless patch kit. Works spot on.

frepster
    Free Member

The one that JRA do? Might give that a try

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Sew it closed with waxed thread. it will probably still need a patch on the inside to make it airtight.

I find that the tyre has to be _really_ dry for the patch to stick. Sometimes applying a layer of glue and letting it dry before adding another layer for the patch to glue to works.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

bontrager TLR tyres or any other TLR tyre are no where near as strong as proper UST sidewalls….

yes ust are heavier, but they are much more durable in my experience…..

ohhh and maxxis seem to be the strongest for me!

oldnpastit

An alternative to waxed thread is dental floss. Strong and easy to sew with. Probably still needs a patch though, as above.

frepster
    Free Member

Thanks, hadnt thought of sewing it, may have to ask my Nan to help me with that one.

Oh and 2 of the ripped tyres are Maxxis HR LUST, two are Spesh 2bliss, didnt seem to make much differnce using the proper UST to sidewall life

Northwind

I sewed one up with course thread then put on a big standard patch from a halfords kit on the inside. WAsn’t pretty but it still worked fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fixing ripped sidewalls on Tubeless Tyres’ is closed to new replies.