Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Fixing loads to roof bars
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

I asked for some tips, I got some – no problem. I’m not making a mountain out of anything!

Its a bike FFS. You can’t get much more lumpy with sticky out things.

It’s going to be in a bag, which will make it a rectangular thing with a low-fricton surface…

benp1

Just buy some ratchet or load straps

Have a set from aldi/lidl that are great. Also have some from ikea

Think alpkit sell some?

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t quite follow the point of that knot.

Industry standard knot for securing loads.

It looks as if it’s just a way of building in a 2:1 mechanical advantage with a lot of rope friction? So really just a way of tightening the rope and locking it off?

So you do understand the point of it then. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Point is I can’t just use ratchet straps around it. It’ll slide all over te place

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m thinking perhaps straps around the back, and then tie rope through the straps to the roof bars…

aracer
    Free Member

You’re bothered about the low-friction surface? Bit of camping mat between the bars and the bag (which has other advantages too).

andyl
    Free Member

Is this still going?

This is for a shot trip? So you could have made two trips in the time you have spent worrying about it?

Just stick it on the roof and do this with rope or ratchet straps:

Place bike bag flat on top of both roof bars

tie to front roof bar, pass sideways over bike bag and wrap around roof bar and then back over to the first side and tie off. Keep the straps close to the load so they and the roof bar form a rectangle round the load.

do the same for the rear one.

Then run a line from the front roof bar over the bag, wrap it round the back one and then under the bike bag back to the front. Then run another and space them out.

Tighten all straps/ropes and run them through any handles etc. No problem with using a couple of long straps to do a couple of runs but make sure they are free to tighten all the way along.

Don’t be tempted to diagonal straps as they often let the load twist out, just stick with a nice grid pattern.

I would have had this done in seconds without thinking about it with some straps and baler band.

Or you could just wrap the whole thing in duct tape to the roof rack and cut it off when you get there 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Why does everyone think someone posting a thread means they’re in some kind of frantic panic?

I would have had this done in seconds without thinking about it with some straps and baler band.

What a hero. But thanks for the tips I will read and digest 🙂

Your method relies on friction between the rope and bar to stop it moving sideways, yes?

andyl
    Free Member

What a hero.

Thanks for the insult 🙄 my point is there is no need to overthink it. Just go out and try it and see what’s like – ie I would go strap it down in the standard directions without giving it much/any thought and then check how secure it is and put any extra straps/rope on as needed in addition to the ones in the main directions.

regarding friction – yes. When you pull it all nice and tight you will be surprised how much friction there is between everything. Keep it simple and avoid trying to do too much with a single run (ie don’t wrap around this, that and the other and then try and tie it off as you won’t get good tension). If you try to angle the straps to the ends of the roof rack the load will slide around. Keep the straps tight around it.

Which bars have you got? Most have some sort of rubber coating or grip strips which helps

molgrips
    Free Member

just go out and try it and see what’s like

I will, on Thursday when I’m home 🙂

I’ve got Whispbars, cannot remember the weight. Very aero.

andyl
    Free Member

PS if you do use ratchet straps (I would) then make sure you know what they are pressing down on and they can’t crush the load. Also make sure they cannot slip down to a thinner part of what you are strapping down as they will then lose tension and check any loads shortly after setting off as things can settle.

TooTall
    Free Member

there is no need to overthink it

That is the very reason for his existence. Molgrips; going to the far end of a fart in everything he does.

matt_outandabout

Ropes are fine, as are straps. I have more problems with straps.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/8rYQJ6]Etive[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Fixing loads to roof bars’ is closed to new replies.