Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fixing an old corrugated roof
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My girlfriend has a wee washhouse out the back of her flat.
    The roof is knackered and lets in water, so it just gets used for storing recycling etc

She wants to get it fixed up, maybe turn it into an AirBnB or for use as a brewery or a sauna or something.

First step is sorting the roof though.

What would you guys do? What materials are best. Cheaper is better. Much cheaper is much betterer.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Edit: You know that’s probably NOT* asbestos cement sheeting, right?

*having looked a bit closer at the photo and realised it’s wrinkly tin.
    Probably.

As you were.

jam-bo

What would you guys do? What materials are best. Cheaper is better. Much cheaper is much betterer.

decide what you want to do with it first. that will define the budget.

the-muffin-man

Cheapest is clear plastic corrugated sheets. It’s rubbish though and won’t last long (it perishes and goes brittle). Cheap to replace again though!

Looks like you’ll need new timbers too.

You could just put in new timbers and felt it like a garden shed roof.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d go with dark grey plastic coated steel either insulated or with the felt attached underneath to help stop condensation. But it really does depend what the intended use is going to be.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

How about a roof with grass on it. How does that work?

the-muffin-man

maybe turn it into an AirBnB

Just seen this. As in she’s expecting people to sleep in it!?

If that’s the case there isn’t really a cheap option as the rest of the shed looks it needs serious work to make it habitable (and possibly building regs and planning permission).

You can’t just stick someone in a shed and make a few quid!

ThePinkster

If it was going to be used for accommodation or some sort of ‘proper’ workshop i’d go with something like This GRP roofing.

That’s what we did on our kitchen extension and it’s far superior to the old felting that was on it.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I like the GRP stuff. What kind of price per sq.m?

As for AirBnB – it would need new windows, insulated and plasterboard walls put it for that. Obviously more expensive, but has the possibility to make its costs back

ThePinkster

Don’t remember the price I’m afraid, was quite a while ago when we had it done. worth it though and they replace the boarding underneath with 18mm roofing ply as well.

IIRC ours came with a 25 year guarantee but they reckoned it’d easily outlast that.

You can get kits to do it yourself as well if you like a challenge

mountainman

Renewed my shed roof with Box profile sheets,breathable felt underneath it to stop condensation as it opens into conservatory.
    Google local agri roofing suppliers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fixing an old corrugated roof’ is closed to new replies.