Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • fixing a top tube with a large dent
  • karnali
    Free Member

Its on a road commuter, steel frame 520, large dent in the middle of the top tube, frame still looks straight, is there anything that can be done to fix it. Its only ridden on the road about 80 miles a week.I was thinking cut out the section and weld in an insert or put some sort of metal sleeve over the top?

cheers

bruneep

How bad is it, pics would assist.

karnali
    Free Member

gmex619
    Free Member

Ouch.

I would be reccomending contacting a builder for a tube replacement. I wouldn’t ride that personally.

bruneep

That’s not just happened tho, given the rust showing. Yours or possible purchase.

I wouldn’t chance it either.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just put a sticker over it and keep riding..

atlaz
    Free Member

bencooper
    Free Member

That has a crease in it – so much more likely to fold up. You could probably fold that tube in half by hand if it wasn’t welded into a frame.

Not a big job to replace it for a framebuilder.

karnali
    Free Member

bought for all the rest of the parts, frame likely to be swapped out for a pompino, but if it can be fixed i’ll give it a try

asterix
    Free Member

have you looked closely at the other tubes / weld areas for related damage? its hard to deform just one side/joint of a triangle

bigyinn
    Free Member

That tube is in compression, so it will just fold.
    Bin frame or replace the tube.

bencooper
    Free Member

That damage is pretty common – either the handlebar hits it, or the bike falls over and hits a pole. I’ve even seen it from a side impact where the tube folded around the rider’s leg.

karnali
    Free Member

anyone know of a builder in the north west region, as close to cumbria as posible?? will get a price for new tube if rest is ok after a good check

fatboyjon

Reynolds 520 is nothing special and pretty close to On-One’s gas pipes anyway. A new frame would probably be cheaper than a new top tube and some sort of re-finishing.

bencooper
    Free Member

From me, it’d be £85 for the tube replacement, £50 for powdercoating, plus £7.50 per braze-on if you have any cable stops or the like on the top tube.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘fixing a top tube with a large dent’ is closed to new replies.