Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fixing a ripped tyre
  • D0NK

Slashed a tyre at LQ yesterday, brand new, can I fix it somehow?
    From the inside the cut looks about an inch long, from the tread side it’s about 1 cm, it’s in the centre of the tread section. In the past I have stuck a patch on the inside and outside when I got small cut in the sidewall, originally done as a get me home but it’s still in use a cpl yrs later. I may just try a big patch, or maybe even a section of inner tube, inside dunno if it’ll hold tho (obviously I can’t patch the tread side)

Any ideas?

qwerty
    Free Member

you can only bodge it not fix it,
    this is your trail side bodge friend:

D0NK

Yeah I normally carry a bit of plastic as a tyre boot, those plastic sleeves you put office papers in also do a decent get me home job for free. Not that I had it with me ysterday 🙁

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Sweet wrappers, a glove, sturdy leaves will do in an emergency.

I’ve ‘fixed’ smaller rips with the extra long reinforced puncture patches and a couple of stiched thrown round the knobble before. If its and inch long its had it though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve seen stitched tyres last ages. You can get non-stretch patches for ust repairs which might stick, min 10 for £10 and special glue needed IIRC.

D0NK

I seem to remember someone saying stitch with dental floss, is this right?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dental floss will work, its usualy very tough stuff. Just sew it up eith lots of small stiches about 2-3mm in from the cut so they dont rip out. then glue a patch of thin cloth over the inside with lots of rubber solution.

lowey

ATS ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fixing a ripped tyre’ is closed to new replies.