Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fixing a broken Gravity Dropper?
  • heihei

My Gravity Dropper broke, with the mechanism becoming unglued from the post. Anyone know if this can be fixed??

Liftman

Send it back to gravity dropper, the will fix it foc and send it back to you, only cost you will have is the postage to them.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Had this happen to me. Contacted GD directly. They said it was a warranty issue (post was over 3years old). Sent it back to them £15 ish pounds. They fixed it, also replaced loads of the internals and returned it for free. Excellent customer service.

seavers
    Free Member

I just bought one of these from CRC. Not got it yet but if it does go wrong is there a UK service center?

Liftman

No uk service centre but crc sell most of the parts

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – handy. I was just about to try bonding mine with Evostick.

Thing is, I know why it happened. My seatclamp wasn’t holding the post well enough ( I was using a shim). As a result, the whole seatpost slipped in the frame until all of my weight was being taken by the mechanism.

It’s about 5 years old – think they’ll repair it for me?

grantway
    Free Member

mine snapped after a few months riding
    Have to send mine back I had emailed them directly but no

juan
    Free Member

Other route is bonding it yourself with epoxy. Make sure the surface is thoroughly cleaned.

heihei

Thanks for the advice. Already had an email back from GD themselves – great response time!

Liftman

They bond it back on and drill and tap four small screws onto it, they also give it a service as well

hugor
    Free Member

This happened to one of mine – the older version. I stuck the mechanism on with 2 hose pipe clamps. I used electrical tape to cover the handiwork. Probably should have sent it to GD by the sounds of things above but it still works.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Had this happen to me. Contacted GD directly. They said it was a warranty issue (post was over 3years old). Sent it back to them £15 ish pounds. They fixed it, also replaced loads of the internals and returned it for free. Excellent customer service.

+1, even though mine was 3rd hand with no proof of purchase.

GavinB

Just got mine back from GD after the same thing happened to me.

I suspect mine broke as I sometimes slam it down against the clamp, as well as the cable being slightly too short, when running it at full height (running a large frame and prefer to run it rearwards, then along TT)

Anyway, emailed them when it broke, received a reply within 30 mins. It was 3 years old too, but they agreed to a warranty repair at $18 to cover shipping, incl full service, replacing all plastic internals, new cables etc.

It took 2 weeks total to be returned, and the work looks good. I’ll maybe stick pics up later if anyone is interested, but in essence they’ve glued the spring mechanism on, then backed that up with four screws into the post through the spring mechanism. It looks pretty bombproof!

It has however taught me a good lesson: never espouse the benefits of how reliable something is, as it will always bite you!

Crag
    Free Member

This happened to mine a couple of years ago coming down Cut Gate. I did a trail side bodge with a couple of cable ties and left it like that for another 12 months or so with it working perfectly.

Only when I hamfistedly cracked the bar clamp did I contact GD who said they would repair it under warranty.

For the cost of postage back to the states, they rebonded the post, give me a new bar clamp and cleaned and serviced the post along with new internal bushings/shims.

Awesome customer service – especially given I’d bought it second hand off here in the first place.

pictonroad

I fixed mine at home, however the 1st time around I added too much epoxy and it squidged inside glueing all the gubbins solid. Had to extrapolate it all with a hammer and chisel.. 😳

Gravity droppers = tough.

GavinB

Dropbox link

Here’s a pic of the repaired post.

(Having issues with posting/hosting images ATM)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fixing a broken Gravity Dropper?’ is closed to new replies.