Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fixies -better work out?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I have just come back from an extended lunch time ride. I got 25 miles in (doing 16s). It is flat here so nothing strenuous and as usual, I feel more knackered doing that on a fixie than maybe 10 miles extra on a geared road bike.

I have noticed that I get fitter more quickly on a SS off road because you just have to ride the gear whatever the terrain. Is riding fixed the road equivalent or am I deluding myself and should simply get out more?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Nah it is harder on a fixie due to not being able to wimp out when the going gets tough.

will
    Free Member

First of all I think you are deluded for riding fixed.

alpin
    Free Member

i'd say riding fixed increase the amount of effort you need to give out.

look at other riders and see how often they coast along or spin up hill in a little gear. fixed doesn't allow for either of these options. pedal pedal pedal. if you see a hill you'll have to build your speed up before hitting it and then keep up the pressure for as long as you can before succumbing to the point where you stand up out of the saddle to turn the cranks.

it also improves your pedal stroke (or should do), giving you a more even power output and a smoother, less jacky/jerky cadence.

and down hills will have you using different muscles, too. just be careful of your knees.

crazy-legs

Short answer is yes, they do give a better workout.

Working muscles you wouldn't normally use (to slow the bike down), not able to freewheel and not being able to spin/pootle up a hill all help with giving you a proper workout.
    The equivalent is using a geared bike on a turbo trainer – most riders quickly realise that on a normal road ride they're only putting full power through the pedals for a fraction of the full ride and will often spend a lot of time soft pedalling or freewheeling.

monkeychild
    Free Member

First of all I think you are deluded for riding fixed.

What it's what chicks dig!

Isn't it?

😉

higgo
    Free Member

Yes they are a better workout, certainly a different (harder hitting) workout.

mtbfix

They make you differently fit. I find riding a geared bike at high intensity is a better work out all around as you have to have a compromise gear on SS and fixed which tends to leave you spinning on the flat.

alpin
    Free Member

i spin out at 33kmph on my fixie. that's fast enough, thanks.

MrSmith
    Free Member

it is more a workout hour for hour compared to gears.
    it will improve your cadence (if the gear is spinnier) but i found when transferring to gears after riding exclusively fixed for a while i had become a bit lazy because of the flywheel effect and had to reajust to having a no assistance over the dead spot at the top of the pedal stroke.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 its tougher cos you gotta overcome the extra resistance of ya sisters tight jeans 💡

tony_m
    Free Member

What MrSmith said ^.

I also find that despite the apparent extra effort uphill or into a headwind, my legs always feel more relaxed, and definitely more supple, after 40 miles fixed than they do after the same distance on gears.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fixies -better work out?’ is closed to new replies.