Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Fixie/Fixed Cycling – How big is it in your local city???
  • romster
    Free Member

Seem's to be an "all of a sudden" mad rush for Fixie bikes, is it beginning to boom where you live??? Wonder why?

steve_b77
    Free Member

**** hooge in London Village 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

*looks out window*

Nope.

ash.addy
    Free Member

I'm using it commute and then going for a ride after work much better than going to the gym. Plus I'd wreck my spicy if I took it on the road each day and I couldn't leave it anywhere anyway.

warpcow
    Free Member

I've only ever seen two around where I live, and I know them.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Seem's to be an "all of a sudden" mad rush for Fixie bikes

Here in That London's Famous London, the 'sudden mad rush' for fixies has been going on for quite a while now….

**** scourge they are too. Bloke the other day, on the canal path, no brakes, skidding at bridges, steaming along making people jump out of the way, no bell etc. Tried to gently remind him that brakes and a bell might be a good idea along a busy canal path, looked at me like I'd dry-bummed his wife and stuck the video on YouTube… 🙄

nickc

Nope we're still at Tesco bike with the forks on back to front round here.

romster
    Free Member

hahahaha @ nickc – quality!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ridin' fixed with Lance

kimbers

yup everywhere in london

im having to convince a work colleague not to do it because all her trendy hoxton mates have got them

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Been big here in Bristol for at least a year. Lots of trendies in skinny jeans and Converse All Stars with toeclips. I reckon it's got a lot of people into cycling who wouldn't otherwise have, so no bad thing.

gcaster
    Free Member

Not up here in Durham/Newcastle far too many steep hills. Bit of a shame really, I'd love one 😉

yunki
    Free Member

being from Devon I think as a whole we just point and laugh..

''ERE….! you'd never believe what they daft city c**ts are up to now bey' is a common phrase..

wormhole

i borrowed one the other day for a go, a Fuji, blimey??? always thought i would like to own one, not now. stuggle up, spin out down and twiddle along, all the time you have to keep going round!! found the slowing and stopping bit tricky? sure you would get used to it. now think i would rather have a single speed with a free hub, really didnt enjoy cornering and having to pedal?

looks cool tho.

devs
    Free Member

You're seen as a trendy fashionista if you have a Halfrauds Shockwave round here. TBH if you took a fixie out no one would even know.

crazy-legs

There's only one place to use a fixie and that's on a track (which is where I was tonight and it was ace. 🙂 )
    Round town they're slower than normal bikes and more difficult to handle round corners/over kerbs & potholes. About their only saving grace is that if anyone tries to nick it they'll usually fall off within a few yards and you can get your bike back!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Seems to be a very rare sight here in Edinburgh – might be too hilly.

spyke85
    Free Member

Big in Manchester, and can spot a Fixie a mile off…all I am saying.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

You're talking nonsense steve, there are hunners of them in Edinburgh. Though thankfully most are commuter types rather than the fixie-skidder fashionista set.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Anyone seen that Manchester bloke who twiddles up and down the curry mile nae brakes and without foot retention? Pillock! going to get himself killed.

jonb
    Free Member

gcaster – Member

Not up here in Durham/Newcastle far too many steep hills. Bit of a shame really, I'd love one

Seen a fair few in Newcastle, it's not that hilly. Certainly got mainstream, plenty in the shops.

theboatman
    Free Member

On my daily commute to and from Derby, I've seen a few of home made/ commuter fixie types in the last few years and I can include myself in this crowd for a few months, and a couple of students on those Charge fixie things and sisters jeans apparel over the last few months, so not that big ime.

bassspine
    Free Member

Yunki +1, I did see a fixie in Execketer the other day. Definitely a right sister's jeans pseudohipster

spyke85
    Free Member

What colour bike does this prat have in Manchester? Might have to look for him!

STATO
    Free Member

jonb – Member
    gcaster – Member
    Not up here in Durham/Newcastle far too many steep hills. Bit of a shame really, I'd love one

Seen a fair few in Newcastle, it's not that hilly. Certainly got mainstream, plenty in the shops

Plenty in Newcastle, mostly UNI students but some locals.

noteeth
    Free Member

Anything that gets people on bikes is a good thing.

Provided they can actually ride 'em properly, of course…. :/

romster
    Free Member

based on this response it looks like they are becoming more and more popular then……interesting.

noteeth
    Free Member

it looks like they are becoming more and more popular

Especially with CFH.

romster
    Free Member

CFH??

noteeth
    Free Member

CFH??

He loves 'em.*

(*this may be a lie.)

epicyclo

Those that survive unbroken end up with really good roads skills 🙂

I ride one but I doubt anyone would accuse me of being "trendy" and I use brakes.

romster
    Free Member

Arrrrrr – kk

Only one in Northallerton that I know of(I may be wrong), and I built that for myself to see what all the fuss was about, and I have to say it is a right laugh once you get the hang of skidding and judging the traffic slightly differently, the instant response you get with them is excellent, they are good fun.

stever
    Free Member

There's that bloke from the CTC that sometimes rides through. And I saw a trendy bloke lost once.

alpin
    Free Member

2, both with brakes (well, on the front at least), myself and some student named Marlon, Coburg, Germany. Pop ~45k

fontmoss
    Free Member

looked at me like I'd dry-bummed his wife and stuck the video on YouTube

probably thought vimeo was a better option?

trail_rat
    Free Member

could count on one hand the ammount ive seen in aberdeen – i use one for my everyday riding – with brakes and mudguards and rack and brooks …. nothing fashion about it … it does what it says on the tin – gets me to work,shops,town,pub,home and the odd training ride !

epicsteve
    Free Member

You're talking nonsense steve, there are hunners of them in Edinburgh.

I paid a bit more attention when I was in town today and did see some this time – 2 in fact, both chained to railings in the New Town. One was a rather nice Bianchi Pista with cow-horn bars and the other was a Specialized Langster. Couldn't tell if they were fixed or just singlespeed. All the other bikes I saw (and there were quite a few) had derailliers. Yesterday I saw two hub-geared bikes (including mine!) but no singlespeeds.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Fixie/Fixed Cycling – How big is it in your local city???’ is closed to new replies.