Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • fixed wheeler for summer commute – any suggestions?
  • anlegov
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a fixed-wheel track bike for my short, flat ride to work in the summer. Anyone got any experience with the Bianchi Pista or the Fugi – or anything else?

ski
    Free Member

Pompino?

anlegov
    Free Member

Not so keen on the slack angles and the mudguard clearances of the Pompino – although I am probably going to regret buying a race replica (I just know it 🙂 )

soobalias
    Free Member

get one with a freewheel

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not winter?

allankelly

Buy a Pomp. You can CX it too, which is great.
    al.

wwaswas
    finbar
    Free Member

I had a Pompino. It was great for belting round town on, but i sold it because it was too ugly (i really hate the On-One wishbone).

rootes1

i just got a Pearson Touche.

you can run as fixed,

but room for a rack and guards if you want.

they also do a cheaper steel one called a hanzo

– Pearson were really nice to deal with.

in either case you can spec saddle, bars, gear ratio, etc

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/images/prod_4690.jpg

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I've been trying to justify the SE Bikes Lager

Nick

I reckon that if the hanzo had been available when I was in the market for this sort of bike it might have won out against the Pompino that I ended up with as it was a close run thing between the Touche and the Pompy.

It depends on what you want to do with it really, anything will do for a short flat summer commute, I wanted to ride all year round and have to carry stuff and prefer panniers to rucksack.

anlegov
    Free Member

Ooooh! Yes. That Bianchi in Evans looks nice indeed. Think I quite like these flat-bar fixed wheelers.

crikey
    Free Member

Will your sister mind you wearing her jeans?

MrTall
    Free Member

I really like the Mongoose Maurice – mainly because i like the colour!!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mongoose/maurice-cromo-2010-single-speed-road-bike-ec020881?query=mongoose

Stopped a chap in the road last week as he was on one, it looked cool and he was very happy with it.

Bargaintastic for £350 (and fixed & freewheel hub).

mud-monster
    Free Member
    juan
    Free Member

you could just build a wheel with a flip flop hub

crazy-legs

There's a review in the current Cycling Weekly of the new Kona Paddy Wagon. They never really liked the old version but the new one is steel loveliness and they raved about it.

Hammo
    Free Member

I thought the old Paddy wagon was steel too, or by steel loveliness do you mean some funky tubing?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I sell Fuji so might be a bit unfair. I like it though, should be getting one soon. The steel ones are cool and ride really well. Mind you, they come with a complete set of brakes.
    Here: http://www.fujibikes.com/LifeStyle/ClassicSeries/Feather.aspx

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've just picked one of these up off the bay for a bargain of £250, only a few months old 🙂 Just waiting on delivery.

Might change the bars for bull horns though to get a couple of different hand positions while still staying up right

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘fixed wheeler for summer commute – any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.