Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fixed Mountain Biking
  • flashes
    Free Member

Apart from Cab and Aidan in Bristol are there any other fools that do this?

I’ve just added my “new” fixed wheel to my trusty On One, removed the rear brake and I’m ready for the weekend.

Question is gearing, I’m starting 32 X 15? Too low? I have to ride a few miles on the road to get to the mud of Ashton Court and Leigh Woods then it’s a bit hilly and slippy Singletrack………….

sc-xc

I seem to recall richpips (I think_ doing it a lot, and I know that a lad called Dan who was with Stu did one of the Mayhems on one.

I have just built up a flat pedal brakeless fixed for our trip to centerparcs in October. Let’s see someone try to nick that! 😈

james
    Free Member

There was this bloke off of here on a STW peak pootle ride last winter on a fixed rigid 26″er
    At the top of jacobs ladder:

shortcut

It strikes me as a dangerous idea!

MrNutt
    Free Member

lord save us! that’s suicide!

does WCA have one?

TheBrick
    Free Member

bang!

http://www.63xc.com/

I’ve ridden my fixed gear road bike down a few bridleways before, not sure a I fancy it on a MTB as although it;s tough on the road bike with th skinny tyres and dropped bars at least it’s light to carry and push.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

There was this bloke

aka Simon1975

In the case of MTBs, I’m thoroughly of the opinion – “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Hairychested
    Free Member

WCA had a 69’er fixie in titanium as he let me try it at Swinley. Mad but cool. Also applies to the bike.

igm

Who was it at SSUK 09? Got a prize for his efforts – a freewheel if I recall.

MrNutt
    Free Member

he converted his vanity bike to a fixie? chapeau!

flashes
    Free Member

Cab won a prize at this year’s SSEC for riding fixed. He still managed 3 laps to my 2.

He won a lovely On One 29er frame for doing the same a few years back

messiah
    Free Member

I do. Try it. It’s nowhere near as daft or difficult as you might think even for pretty tricky terrain. Leave the brakes on but try not to use them 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

All the time (fixed cross, not mtb). My commute in is mostly offroad and I ride that fixed. As above, it’s really not that hard. You can ride pretty much everything you can ride non-fixed with a bit of effort, unless you’re into doing big air and the like. Jumps, dropoffs, bunnyhops.. they’re all possible if you take a bit more care with your approach.

Here’s mine halfway down the back of Winter Hill in Lancs

Belmont by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

32:15 might be a bit spinny on the downhills.

I’ll leave you with Piers’s gem on riding fixed off road.
    “It’s like being beaten up by a bloke who’s heart is not really in it.”

MrSparkle

samuri modestly fails to mention that he rode the 3 Peaks cross fixed a few years ago. And beat quite a few too, eh Chipps… ;0)

BigJohn

The 2 things that I notice are looking ahead for treestumps etc. that you have to put a quick skid in to avoid pedal-striking, and very steep descents where you are off the back of the saddle so your legs are not long enough to reach the pedal.

messiah
    Free Member

Forgot about that – pre jumping the back wheel round and pedal induced skidding to adjust the crank positions etc – pure joy when you get it right… quick visit to the undergrowth when you get it wrong… 8)

thomthumb
    Free Member

i built a wheel for my scandal last year. was really good fun for a few months round christmas, i might put it on again soon. interesting to see how your line choices change a bit. made me take things in a very swoopy flowy way, taking corners a bit wider etc.

oh and i won a crate of cider, i think it got replaced by a pint, for riding a rather awkward slippery bridge on it. worth it for drinks off your riding buddys surely.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve done it a little. 34:16 on a 29er is too low so I need to gear up before trying it again.

mtbfix

My current SS was a fixie until the hub threads stripped. It was great fun in its way. Be a man and ditch that back brake though 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fixed Mountain Biking’ is closed to new replies.