Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • fixed gear/flip flop hubs?
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

does anyone do them built onto a standard mountain bike wheel? Looking as an idea for a potential new build project but cant seem to find them anywhere, could be googling/searching for completely the wrong thing, and if they don't, why don't they?

cheers all

MrSmith
    Free Member

goldtec?

alpin
    Free Member

when you say standard, you mean 26"?

you obviously won't be able to use discs either. i've a surly hub and built it into a rim myself. relatively easy to do as there is no dish on the wheel.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mustard
    Free Member

I've got a Mich screw on frewheel hub built onto a 26" Velocity aeroheat rim of some sort and spaced to use as a fixed i'd be willing to sell if you're interested?

third edit to try and get the pic up here:
    fourth go…

and if that doesn't work the pic is here http://www.flickr.com/photos/39048531@N00/3463961436/

mustard
    Free Member

woop woop! 😀

messiah
    Free Member

Just use a disc brake hub and bolt a sprocket onto the disc side – problem here is you have to use rim brakes and if you do flip/flop your brakes and wheel dish have to be set up perfectamundo.

Works for me… although quite why you would want to do such a stupid thing I cannot reason 😆

simon1975

135 or 120mm?

There's a huge choice for 120mm, but if you want a MTB wheel then your choices are limited. The On-one double-fixed hub is a bargain. But if you want to run a disc brake and a fixed cog then the only option I can think of is the Surly (which is what I've got but I can't recommend it due to short bearing life).

ajf
    Free Member

Have a gander round this site

http://www.63xc.com

Might help you out?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

are the on one hubs, flip flop or just as the name might suggest, fixed both sides?

stever
    Free Member

Flip-flop just means double-sided. Double fixed is the most versatile. The thread's the same for a fixed sprocket and freewheel, but you also get the option of using a lockring. My On-One has lasted really well. Goldtec are good and can do a 135 spacing.

spev

why not ask your lbs to build one for you ? Any shop that offers wheelbuilding should be able to sort it out for you

spev

also any of the cup and cone hubs should be ok to re-space with a larger axle for 135mm spacing if thats a problem as well

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Thanks all, looks like the On One is the best option for me, now just need to find a decent/cheap V brake rim and pass onto a mate for building duties, pics will follow when built

Oh they to coloured Mary Bars!!!

zaskar
    Free Member

Brill for SS when riding to trails on road at speed and no spinning out and then swapping wheel over for mtb ratio.

Just bring some gloves that don't stain with the muck you get on your hands.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘fixed gear/flip flop hubs?’ is closed to new replies.