Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fixed cog on freewheel hub
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Anyone used the ROTAFIX method to fix a cog to a freewheel hub with substantial torque and ride without a lockring (but with front and rear brakes though)?

zaskar
    Free Member

Thats a track type.

Just be careful -I’d use one that is fully secure but then I can lock rings on a free hub type.

Can’t you a screw on for your hub?

Stoner
    Free Member

Its a SS freewheel hub – i.e. without the lockring threads. I understand that the rotafix method installs the cog with a greater moment of force than you could ever generate between contact patch and road and so would not need a lockring. Ill also be using a rear brake which again reduces the anticlockwise force acheivable at the cog thread.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Or just thourghly degrease the hub and cog, apply blue loctite and spin the cog on and tighten down with a proper big chain whip (tube handle workshop type, not the flat “cuts in to your hand” type that are only 10″ long)

Let the loctite cure over night and ride up a damn steep hill to make sure. Should be plenty good enough for road use, off road (where you are using much lower gears and have more grip) I would go with a “proper” system.

SSP

*not my fault if you die!

Stoner
    Free Member

It would just go on my commuter which I ride very gently from Paddington to Trafalgar square. No fixie skids, not off roading. Just pootling on my 70s falcon.

Cheers, will use a dab of loctite on clean threads then.

aracer
    Free Member

Not exactly that method, but something very similar on my fixed. No locktite, but plenty of torque. Never had a problem despite running without a rear brake (though I don’t skid stop – in fact I ride it very rarely at all now as where I live isn’t very encouraging for fixed use with a 30mph downhill to start in whatever direction I go and corresponding climb to finish).

firestarter
    Free Member

when i looked into this i was told an old bb lockring fastened up against the cog would kinda stop it undoing due to them binding against each other . but i didnt know where to get a bb lockring lol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fixed cog on freewheel hub’ is closed to new replies.