Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fix my wireless please!
  • stever
    Free Member

Brick 1930s house. One bedroom gets bugger all signal, my office upstairs occasionally drops out. Router at front of house by phone socket and mains – realistically it’s staying there.

Do I need an extender… http://www.dabs.com/products/edimax-wireless-n–802-11n–range-extender-5BR5.html?q=wireless%20repeater&src=16

…or a HomePlug http://www.dabs.com/products/d-link-wireless-n-200mbps-homeplug-av-starter-kit-79ZF.html?refs=4294946344&src=2

I am VERY tight and prefer cheap. I’m also lazy and prefer not to faff around too much with setup. And not something Virgin can use as an excuse if I have problems. Thank you 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

I got a new wireless card with an aerial. Was cheap as chips from Novatech. Went from having 1 bar which dropped out to a good 4 bar signal.

poonprice
    Free Member

What router are you using?

Try changing the wireless channel on the router! If your neighbours are on the same or very close channel to you, you will both be fighting each others signal. Also if you don’t have one a newer N router should give better range, also a dual band router may help if you are getting interference on 2.4Ghz

crofts2007
    Free Member

I have got an old Virgin style wireless enabled cable router connected to a HomePlug, back into the main router downstairs.
    Cost me about £40 in total.
    This gives me two access points that anything attached switches between depending on where I am in the house.
    Also you can hard-wire using Ethernet to the router for a fixed PC or games console.
    Struggle to explain on here how to set it up, but I guess someone will be along to explain….

Cougar

Try changing the wireless channel on the router!

If you’ve got a smartphone of some flavour, there’ll be an app you can use to measure channel strength / usage. Dead handy as a portable wifi troubleshooter.

stever
    Free Member

Thanks. Router is only a few months old – D-Link DSL2640-R. WiFi Analyzer app says there’s nobody else in channel 2 locally.

hunta

HomePlugs.

A doddle to set-up and you can move them about for optimal coverage or just buy another to cover a dead spot if you need to. We’re in a Victorian brick terrace spread over 4 floors so have a similar problem. I get full wireless from one plug on the first floor landing (relayed from another by the phone socket in the ground floor front room).

I know what you mean about being tight, but they just work and save masses of faff.

Milkie
    Free Member

As above, check wireless channel, there was a thread asking pretty much the same thing last week.

smartmonkey
    Free Member

stever – Member

Thanks. Router is only a few months old – D-Link DSL2640-R. WiFi Analyzer app says there’s nobody else in channel 2 locally.
    This is from memory as I don’t deal with home stuff any more.
    For best wireless signal at 2.4 Ghz you need (afaik 3) clear channels each side for best range, there’s loads of spill over.
    You may find it better if you can use 5Ghz wireless stuff, it has better range and there’s far less of it about.
    HTH
    SM

stever
    Free Member

Went with a WiFi Repeater. Plug-in, bit of jiggery pokery to add security. Been fine today, daughter currently on X-Box live in previous WiFi black hole. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-IR815-Wireless-N-Repeater-Amplifier/dp/B009M6CE2A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1355762863&sr=8-6
    Told you I was tight. Fingers crossed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fix my wireless please!’ is closed to new replies.