Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fix my bike for me
  • fozzyuk

Need to get a new casette for the MTB. Dosen't surprise me as I ran the old chain into the ground and am commuting 2 hours a day 5 days a week as a minimum.

Can anyone tell me the difference between this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5213

and

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5045

I have no idea 😉

Any other tools needed other than the lock ring remover ? Looked at the park site but it seems to list about 9 tools…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There's not a whole heap of difference in the cassettes. The 970 will be a bit lighter maybe…

You'll need a cassette lockring tool and a chain whip to get the cassette off.
    New cassette = New chain too.

And most new chainrings I'd have thought…..

wwaswas

wot PP said – check your chainrings too – particularly the middle one – if you ran the chain and cassette into the ground chances are some or all of the front rings are dead too.

ski
    Free Member

Good price though for the 970

fozzyuk

Great help and advice as ever, was hoping I may get away with the front chainrings, they look simple 😉

Besides it's most likely the granny that's worn….

Chain is fine, in that it's new and the one causing the problem.

When looking last night I was suprised at the movement in the freehub, ever have that creeping feeling your going to spend the next 6 weeks buying tools and replacing your entire bike bit by bit ;-(

fozzyuk

Been looking at freehubs…..

19.99 for a free cheap free hub.

21.99 for a full hub giving me a few spares QR etc

or

39.99 for a full wheel

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/LargeImage.aspx?ModelID=42633&FileName=42633-2.jpg

The wheels are firmly on my list of items to upgrade (still the halfords original tat), which this obviously wouldn't be but with new chain, rear mech, casetter and possibly chain rings now is not the time.

So what are peoples thoughts on the above.

Are the internals of an M475 freehub servicable for a keep me running for now type repair ?

Thanks in advance.

wwaswas

there's a set of hope xc hubbed wheels for £65 on the classifieds today – bargin price even if you need to buy new bearings in a few months.

most people buy new hubs so they can replace axles, bearings etc when they change the freehub – as you say the additional cost is so small. you coudl probably get a fiver for the QR too.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Are the internals of an M475 freehub servicable for a keep me running for now type repair ?

"officially" no but I'm sure someone on here has done it.

As for chainrings and chain, my advice is to replace it all if you can afford it and then get into the habit of replacing the chain regularly. I have had untold issues when replacing bits out-of-sync. Even the LBS couldn't understand why the drivetrain was slipping on my bike when the chain ring did not look worn at all. When I replaced it for a cheap Deore one all worked fine

simon_g

Merlin do the two tools you need for a tenner ( http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bicycle-workshop-tools/lifu-cassette-removing-kit.html ). They do bundle deals of the 970 cassette with a 971 chain, if you need one of those too.

fozzyuk

Got myself down as 61st in the list for those hope wheels 😉

fozzyuk

No love for the wheel then ?

Current are M475 hubs on ritchey rims.

For £39 though alsmost feels daft to spend £20 on a hub or £20 on a free wheel.

Assuming the hopes in the classifides are gone anyway.

fozzyuk

970 is on the way so that's a start. Still not sure on 475 hub, free wheel or full wheel.

good job crc has free postage

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fix my bike for me’ is closed to new replies.