Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • FiveTen's – quality shoes?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Been using Shimano flats but a new pair is required and I’m tempted to switch to FiveTen’s (maybe the Impacts) as I fancy trying the super sticky tread.

Have heard rumours that they aren’t that well made, that they fall apart in the wet, that they have a cardboard insole, etc.

What’s the opinion of the STW hive mind? Are they quality and worth the cash, or should I just stick with AM40’s?

scaredypants

they don’t fall apart in the wet – mine have been in the washer many times

… but that’s the bigger problem IMO/E – they get wet, stay wet and then go whiffy (too much foam padding)

(also some people dislike the stickiness as you can’t move your feet around)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm my AM40’s get properly stinky at times, surely they can’t be any worse?!

reevil
    Free Member

Stuff with paper to help them dry out, then when they have put a little talcum powder in them. Controls the smell.
    They’re great shoes, I’ve got 2 pairs of impact Karvers. Love them, wouldn’t go back to my Shimanos.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

(also some people dislike the stickiness as you can’t move your feet around)

You get used to it.

MSP

The sam hills have a better insole.

I find five tens in general to be a decent quality, I have also had guide tennies and camp four.

armo
    Free Member

I’ve had Five tens for the last 6 years and have had no problems, I could never ride a bike without them.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I’ve had mine (impact mids)for two years and use them all year round, never cleaned them and still going stong.

handyman
    Free Member

how do they size up is a 45 a 45 or are they abit bigger

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Mine (impacts) were spot on.

CrombieCraig
    Free Member
    AJames
    Free Member

Mine are absolutely bomber! Pretty indestructible , they get wet but that’s cos it’s wet! Mine have had so much abuse for 2 years the sole is getting chewed, emailed link to missus for new pair for Christmas, would not ride without them!

djflexure

Sam Hills have been great for a couple of years – mainly ride them in good conditions. Size seems spot on, I’d edge up rather than down if in doubt.

chakaping
    Free Member

Freeriders are spot-on for sizing too.

Better than Impacts IMO, as less bulky so they dry a bit quicker and feel less clumsy.

doyle
    Free Member

i had some freeriders grip was so good i had to file the pins down on my pedals because i couldnt shift my feet around whilst riding
    i washed mine twice and they lasted a year before falling apart halfway up mam tor luckily i had some electrical tape in my bag
    these were the mk1 freeriders ive heard the newers ones/downhill ones are ok but yeah the sole fell off ive since gone back to vans and theyre good but my next pair will be five tens

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got the Camp Four, had them maybe 2 years and the only neg is one or two of the little metal eyelets have come away. They get put thru the wash occasionally with no probs.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks all. Sounds good. Might just have to get a pair.

youngrob

Sam Hills here too. Brilliant shoes, they do get soaked through but stuffing them with paper dries them out fine. I’m not too bothered about them smelling, they are riding shoes! Keep my feet much warmer that shimano spds that i moved from. Would never go back now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘FiveTen's – quality shoes?’ is closed to new replies.