Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • FiveTen Freerides, unusually large amount of wear?
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

Recently turned to flats with the new bike, and got myself a pair of the FiveTen freeriders. I have burgtec pedals too. Only had the shoes a few months, but looked at the sole and there are chunks out of them. Is this usual after a few months wear?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How often do you wear them? One mans month is another mans year.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

a couple of times a week. Not mega long rides either.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I have these. Been using since Feb and they are to die for.
    I use flat pedals like yours (not same brand) i haven’t got any chunks missing. Are you heavy footed or tend to drag your foot on the pedals as that is all i can think of, what may cause your problem (or a bad batch of trainers).

cakefacesmallblock

I’m on my first pair of freeriders.
    Used for about 12months, winter as well, about 35 offroad miles a week, almost no discernable sole wear.
    Using shimano saints or gusset slim Jim pedals dependent on which bike I’m on.

jonnym92

I’ve had my Freerider Contacts since Xmas, using with Vaults, the sole has been scored/gouged a bit where the pedal corner pins sit, but I wouldn’t say chunks were missing..

snooze
    Free Member

I got through a pair of Freeriders in 15 months. The knobs started to tear where they were in contact with the back of the pedals (Vaults) and eventually the sole split. In terms of usage I ride 2-3 times a week for about 2 hours. So say about 5 hours a week on average, so around 320 hours of total usage before they split. I weigh 72 kgs and wouldn’t describe myself as a particularly aggressive rider. I was a bit disappointed with the wear and checked my CRC orders to see when I bought them. I am now using Impacts and the sole seems a bit stiffer than the Freeriders and the wear so far appears a bit better.

metcalt

I alternate between a pair of Freeriders and Shimano Flat shoes (AM45) and have noticed some funny wear on sole of my lead foot, not chunks taken out but it looks like the rubber has been torn at.

I’ve been practicing jumps recently have worked out that I drag my foot across the pedal to make sure its in the right place and press down with the outside of my foot a lot in corners. It might be that you’re doing something like this without thinking about it.

Currently using Saint pedals, V12s before that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mine are just getting to the stage where I’m thinking they’re ready for retirement, after about 2 or 3 years of occasional use. I have three other pairs of flat pedal shoes currently in service.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

That sounds exactly the same as mine, I must be doing what you say but without realising it.
    Am riding tonight, so will be conscious of how my feet sit on the pedals.

ndthornton
    Free Member

same as tyres – the softer and grippier the rubber the quicker they wear out. I got about 2-3 years out of a pair. At the end my feet were setting directly on the pedals in some areas! Bought the same ones again though – and had to put my saddle up a bit 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I’ve had my 5ten Freeriders at least 4 years. They are starting to look a little tired, I think the dried mud must be structural by now so I daren’t clean them. The soles are still ok although a little thinner and the not as rigid as they once were. They are still super comfy and offer enough support for what I do in them.

When they finally give up, I will replace with another of Freeriders without hesitation.

Northwind

My first set lasted a couple of years, the current set about 3, not too shabby. The soles have alwways lasted well but the uppers wear out first for me. Are yours the classic freerider shape, or the newer XVI version?

Gotama
    Free Member

Weight dependent I think. I’m getting on for 95kg and tend to rip the soles up in the way you describe. Will be going back to impacts for my next pair, albeit dithering over vxi or the normal ones. Interesting that sam hill, Brendan fairclough and a few others seem to favour the standard impacts over the other variants. I wonder if the sole is tougher. My original pair of impacts from close to when they first came out seemed to last a lot longer than the freeriders I now have.

I also think its bike dependent. The damage is done more on the hardtail than the full sus for obvious reasons.

Northwind

Yeah, especially weird with Sam Hill “Here’s your signature shoe!” “It’s shit. Give me some old ones” So they’ve ended up making a new old impact.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mine are a couple of years old now and still OK-ish.

The soles have a few bits missing where the pins make contact most of the time but they still grip well. They’ve been retired from longer rides now because the sole isn’t very supportive. Fine for mucking about on the DH bike though.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Grey with orange stitching version lasted about a year before sole had holes right through and stitching/glue had separated from the side on both shoes. The uppers are near perfect though. Lots of BMX killed them but was still a bit disappointed because my first pair, maroon and white ones, lasted four years with the same amount of abuse. Must admit, probably won’t buy again which is a shame because I think they are the best looking mountain bike shoe. Now have the newer Impacts. So far so good.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘FiveTen Freerides, unusually large amount of wear?’ is closed to new replies.