Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Five10 freerider EPS
  • Tracey

I have had some blue ones since last autumn. My feet have been alot drier through out the winter riding. Bit warmer than my normal ones so will probably go back to them for the summer. I have some of the Specialized ones in the camper so will be comparing them next time we are out in it

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m happy with mine. Seem to be a little tighter than regular freeriders. My normal shoe size in normal freeriders is bang on. I had to go up for EPS.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s a bummer, I’m always a 10.5 in five10s…

Tracey

I’m in the same size for both

Northwind

I have the EPS Highs, very disappointed in them tbh- they’re nearly good, and very warm when dry but they’re not as water resistant as the Freerider Element and that undermines the entire thing. The higher top, sealed tongue etc should all have been good things but they dropped the ball completely and used untreated leather not the synthetic from the Freeriders.

If your winter riding is dry then have at it, they’re comfy, grippy and well made. If there are puddles then the Elements is what you want. And hopefully Five Ten will have yet another crack at a winter shoe next year!

jam-bo
    vincienup
    Free Member

That looks pretty cool – bit expensive for an experiment though. Anyone tried them?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t really want high tops tbh.

vincienup
    Free Member

Hm, actually they’re around £95 in the UK once you have the name to google for. Still not cheap, but not totally insane as bike shoes go…

Tracey

Kevin has a pair of the guides, although they are dry they aren’t as grippy on the pedal by a long way as normal five tens. Sole isn’t as soft

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks like another pair of freerider elements then.

jamj1974

I’m not sure the Guide Tennie soles are tough enough… I’m on my fourth pair and although they are great – the soles have never seemed the thickest.

ton

i have some.
    hated em to start, tried to sell em.
    they have now softened up a fair bit, and are now comfy, so i am keeping em.
    warm, grippy and pretty water resistant.
    and wipe clean and look like new after every ride

jam-bo

I prefer the c4 rubber on flat pedals. Grippy but not so grippy you have to lift your foot to reposition it.

Moot point now as I’m back on clips…

chiefgrooveguru

The higher top, sealed tongue etc should all have been good things but they dropped the ball completely and used untreated leather not the synthetic from the Freeriders.

Have you tried Nikwaxing them?

Northwind

Yeah, I plastered them and it improved it a bit but still not as good as it should be- water still gets in quickly. I mean, the Elements leak too but not like this.

goby

Oh was looking at getting a pair of the eps, offto find the elements a bit cheaper to cheers all!

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve got some EPS highs.
    Super comfy, super grippy, and super warm. Also good at repelling water. Up until til the point water goes up above about half way. Which is most of the time it’s raining. Then they are as cold and miserable as any other shoe.

It’s so frustrating, all they need is a lace cover and I bet they’d be loads better on the puddle splashes, but they haven’t. I’ve bought some thick Sealskinz to wear underneath, but I haven’t been on a wet ride since so i haven’t had a chance to try them!

Nice and warm though. I suffer from Reynaud’s and combined with some thick socks, they kept my feet warm on a lap of Cannock in sub zero temperatures. Unfortunately, there are some big puddles at the end, so the second lap was misery and i couldn’t feel my feet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The new sealskinz are fantastic submarined. With your condition, gotta be worth trying the knee high ones, In wet I wear them and the overlap of knee pads means no splash running down inside.

benpinnick

Yeah another vote for the elements – I think they are still the better shoe, and like nobeer I pair them with sealskins high tops for filthy winter riding no worries. Yes if your riding through puddles all the time they fill up with water, but then I’ve never had a pair of shoes that don’t, and you can run them all year round no hassles. Better than the regular freeriders in the summer I reckon!

Northwind

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

The new sealskinz are fantastic submarined

I’m still not sure if they’re as good as the dexshell ones I have… But they’re definitely better than the old sealskinz. And yes definitely go long, I can’t believe how long I pissed around with the low versions.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Five10 freerider EPS’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts