• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Five Tens, how good are they?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

My birthdays coming up, and all I hear about them is good things. Are they really worth the money though? They’re bloody pricey! And yes, I am tighter than cramp.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

terrible terrible as flippers

Northwind

Great, but flawed. They’ve never come close to making a perfect shoe but their strengths are good enough to generally overcome the failings. IMO of course.

They’re not the only shoe in town though.

guitarhero
    Free Member

For flat pedal riding I’ve not found anything better. Those soft grippy soles don’t last long though. I ride most days and a pair last me 6-8 months tops.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Okay, are there better options then?

I bought some hiking trainers with waterproofing for about £15 from Decathlon about 4 years ago and they’re just about dying, just wondered if it’s worth buying proper MTB shoes?

colinpm1
    Free Member

Five Tens all the way. For flat pedals there’s nowt better. Super grippy and very robust so will take s beating. True about the wear on the soles though. In my second pair now, my first lasted for a good two years until I swapped pedals for some with longer pins. Which then slowly ate the sole!

That said for the price I don’t think you can go wrong.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

What’s the point in this topic as if you haven’t the money then why ask!?

Plus you have form for being a tight git, only takes one to look at your wanted advert.

jamj1974

hopeychondriact – Member
    What’s the point in this topic as if you haven’t the money then why ask!?
    Plus you have form for being a tight git, only takes one to look at your wanted advert.

Give them a break!

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Noone’s having my kitkat ta.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ignore him, he comments on everything I post with exactly the same comment, just because I didn’t buy some tyres off him.

fergal
    Free Member

Only use mine if it’s dry, they are like sponges, slow to dry.

PS. the shoes for flats.

P-Jay
    Free Member

No other shoes have as much grip on flat pedals.

Teva used to make a shoe with 80% of the grip, but more comfortable, better lasting and far more weather proof, but they didn’t grip as well so not many people bought them and they stopped making them.

Spesh make a shoe with 90% as much grip which are just as good as the Teva’s were on everything else so personally that’s the ones I’ll go for when my Teva’s die – about 12-18 months from now based on the last 2 pairs.

I’ve had lots of 510’s and they’ve all worked beautifully, but they soaked up water like a sponge and tore the soles within weeks and they were all dead within 6 months.

kimbers

My mates had the shank rip though the sole of 510 kestrel SPD shoes 3 times now,since he got them in may, this time he’ll just be getting a refund! At 140 quid a pair that’s pretty poor

I’ve got some old impacts that have lasted forever

Northwind

Nobody else is as sticky, but lots of shoes are more than sticky enough. I like Sombrio, their x-shazam’s a great winter/autumn shoe. Well, it’s about as good as you get with flat shoes anyway, it’s still not perfect. For summer I wear 5 10 freeriders which imo are the best of hte 5 10s.

Even some skate shoes are good, my old Vans Bricks were superb. But others are rubbish, you can’t really tell which ones are good til you’re on a pedal.

Oh and the new Impact VXI is rotten ime. Good construction, same grip, and a sole designed to give no feel at all. Like riding with frozen feet, horrible. Was quite funny to see Sam Hill refuse to use his signature shoe.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Cheers for all the help folks, think I might have to go for it.

badbob
    Free Member

i have only used shimano flat shoes, cheaper too, not sure how they compare to 510s

johnhe

I’m not sure what you guys are doing to your shoes to go through them in 6 months. I ride about 4 times a week and my 5.10’s have lasted for about 2-3 years and show no sign of wearing out.

jimjam
    Free Member

Just buy some. Best you can get.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Got mine at the beginning of aug and rode 6 weeks in whistler, the right sole has a hole in it and is shredded.

patagonian
    Free Member

2FO’s for the summer and Shimano AM41 for the winter. Last time I tried Five Ten Impacts they were huge!

euans2
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 pairs of 5-10’s, both are over 2 years old and both are still going strong, no issues with them falling apart at all. They do get wet and can take an age to dry though.

nickc

Got some Maltese falcon race (clipless ones) and TBH when they wear out I won’t be buying another pair, comfy enough, but that just increases the lack of feel, and they soak up and hold water like no other pair of shoes I’ve ever used which for a product for an outdoor sport is a bit crap to be fair

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Five Tens, how good are they?’ is closed to new replies.