Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Five Ten – smooth bottoms?
  • kraftyone
    Free Member

I’m after some new MTB flats and about to pull the trigger on a pair of Freerider XVi. Now I know how sticky the Five Ten compound is (I used to rock climb a lot in five tens) so no worries there, but…

I’m slightly concerned about the large smooth area on the sole, anyone got a pair? Does it make walking around in the wet a bit perilous?!

weeksy

I have a pair… I thought the same thing..

However.

I’ve not used them yet as I was keeping them for summer 🙂

Sorry 🙂

yorkshire89
    Free Member

They are really grippy on wet rocks, but pretty slippy on mud.

ebennett

Not noticed any issues with my Freerider elements, but they’ve got more of a tread to them. Massive difference in grip on the pedals though compared with an old pair of DCs!

kraftyone
    Free Member

But the elements don’t look very weather proof? I’m guessing they’re a bit sponge like when they get wet?

jamesfts
    Free Member

I bought a pair when they were on offer recently (£35ish) as I fancied going back to flats for a while.

I did think the flat section was going to cause problems off the bike but have used them a few times now without issue, even spend a day seasoning some local stupid steep stuff and pushing back up wasn’t a problem… it was dryish though.

digga
    Free Member

I thought the “elements” tag meant they’re made to withstand the elements.

I still think there’s a gap in the market for a proper, sticky/grippy soled flat pedal shoe, with either velcro closure or a cover over the laces, to properly cope with British winters.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

The elements versions are the ones intended for wetter weather.

rOcKeTdOg

they are so grippy on pedals i sometimes try to unclip when i stop!, however, stay on the bike because they are lethal on muddy ir icy surfaces, if you ride/walk on rocky terrain they are fine. very weatherproof too unless they fill from the hole your foot goes in, had mine for over 12 months and they show no sign of wear even using them in the direst of conditions

munrobiker
    Free Member

I still think there’s a gap in the market for a proper, sticky/grippy soled flat pedal shoe, with either velcro closure or a cover over the laces, to properly cope with British winters.

They aren’t from everyone’s favourite fashionable brand, but they are exactly what you describe.

ebennett

Yeah, the elements are designed for wet weather. They seem pretty good for it as they don’t weigh a ton after I get them soaked, but then I’ve never had another pair of non-element 510s to compare them with. Dry pretty quick as well.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They aren’t from everyone’s favourite fashionable brand, but they are exactly what you describe.

I think they’re bloody brilliant.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The XVi has the pre-worn out sole, which supposedly makes it easier to adjust your foot position. I have no problem with that with regular Five Tens, so really can’t see the point especially as you risk slipping about if you happen to get off the bike in a sloppy area or are pushing up something very sloppy.

You can get the Freeriders in plain Elements version without the worn out sole. That’s what I’ve got. The Elements is loads better than the sponges of the old Impacts. Dry out overnight instead of over a week.

Though I understand all of them are going Elements anyway and they don’t bother putting that name on them any more?

Oh and Five Ten do a version of the Impacts with a laces cover. They make you look even more “special” than the regular Impacts though 😉

benp1

Flat soles are grippy on flat surfaces, but there’s no tread so any surface that requires tread will be a problem (e.g. mud)

Kunstler

And one that has a tread pattern suitable for hike a bike on rock and mud – which are the conditions of most hike a bikes.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think they’re bloody brilliant.

Me too. I keep looking at the 510 range for the bling factor but I just can’t do it. Those shimanos are bloody great.

kraftyone
    Free Member

Quite a few reviews on those Shimanos say they fall apart pretty quick though

mintimperial

Been thrashing mine for well over three years now, killed a pair of laces but otherwise they’re going strong. Love ’em, brilliant shoes.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My SPD ones (I don’t ride on noob pedals) are over 3 years old and haven’t even lost a stitch yet.

rOcKeTdOg

anyone tried the specialized ones yet?

Lucas
    Free Member

Currently have the smooth 5:10’s used to have the Shimanos. the 5 10’s are loads more comfy for me, bigger around the toes so they were not cold in the snow at the weekend. loads of grip on the peddles and on wet rocks………

Absolutely no grip on snow or ice which made carrying a bike up lake District hills fun

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

But the elements don’t look very weather proof? I’m guessing they’re a bit sponge like when they get wet?

Not at all, great shoes in shitty conditions.

downhilldave

Agree with everyone re them being slippy in the mud. Love em because they dry out so well. Had mine over a year and managed to put a hole in the smooth area which resulted in most of the part under the ball of the foot coming unglued.Have repaired them,so see how that goes. Had to buy a pair of replacements for a trip to Spain over Xmas, and got some new Impacts with the dotty sole all over. Just as slippy in the mud as the Elements which surprised me. Fine on everything except mud. Seem to dry just as well

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

but they are exactly what you describe.

Apart from the lack of grip, compared to a 5-10.

I didn’t bother with the Freerider, the new Impact is probably the best flat shoe out there, plus it doesn’t have the flat portion on the sole.

akak
    Free Member

In the 2015 range the smooth sole feature is called “contact”, they will also be the lightest freeriders I think. Not good to hear of the smooth bit being a weakness and that isn’t quite where I would put my foot on the pedal so it’s also a bit pointless.

creamegg
    Free Member

Mine have lasted more than twice as long as both my previous 5-10’s. They’re not as grippy as 5-10’s but grippy enough and at less than half the price are better overall imo

munrobiker
    Free Member

Stop being a fashionista and clip in then.

muddy247
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of Freeriders for 2 years, washed regularly and still in top condition. The sole if fine apart from very wet muddy conditions. I also have a pair of shimano DX shoes with the flap over- better at keeping the water out but clipped in so can’t compare grip. Comfier than the 5-10’s though.

wrecker
    Free Member

They grip onto extra long pins well enough for me. The older (mainly white) ones fell to pieces in no time. The black ones are pretty bullet proof.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Member
    I didn’t bother with the Freerider, the new Impact is probably the best flat shoe out there, plus it doesn’t have the flat portion on the sole.

Freerider has the same sole. It’s only the VXi version that has the flat worn out portion.

Plain Freerider Elements are excellent and I use them now far more than my Impacts. Partly as they’re not so bulky and also my Impacts aren’t Elements so they are the mega sponge version.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Stop being a fashionista and clip in then.

I do both thanks. Or does that just make me a metrosexual instead?

Plain Freerider Elements are excellent and I use them now far more than my Impacts. Partly as they’re not so bulky and also my Impacts aren’t Elements so they are the mega sponge version.

I’m assuming that’s not the newer Impact VXi you’re talking about?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Member
    I’m assuming that’s not the newer Impact VXi you’re talking about?

The old school Impacts without any weather proofing.

I believe they are all now ‘Elements’ as in have the non sponge-like weather proofing so they don’t put the Elements name on it. VXi is the same but with the worn out sole. Likewise on the Freerider.

phinbob

I’ve got some old-style freeriders and some newer elements.

I don’t think I can tell them apart on or off the bike in terms of grip, but I don’t have any mud to try them out in.

deadkenny
    Free Member

As I say, it’s the VXi that has different grip (or lack of if standing in mud).

Northwind

I really like the Freerider Element- much better shoe than the new Impact imo, doesn’t have the lack of feel that the Impact VXI has. (wonder if they’ll ever convince Sam Hill to race in his new signature shoe? Must be awkward, that). It’s still not really a winter shoe, just not a terrible winter shoe like all the older Five Tens were.

Hob Nob – Member

There comes a point when you’re comparing “more than you need” and “tons more than you need” tbh. I’d far rather have the feel of my old AM40s and my Sombrio Shazams, than the extra grip of the Impact VXI. Though luckily you can get both in a Freerider.

Alex

What NW says ^^^ elements and sealskinz have seen me through winter so far. Stick some paper in them when really wet before bunging under radiator. Impacts continue to be useless in anything but dry conditions,. Not tried the VXI, don’t like change 😉

jamesfts
    Free Member

Interesting to see people saying their AM45s (and flat pedal alternatives) are lasting them years. I think they’re a great compromise* but can’t get a set to last more than a year for some reason.

The sole around the toe of mine have all come away from the shoe and the rubbery protective coating around the toe area always starts to peel within a few months.

*if a little speshul looking!

muddy247
    Free Member

My Grey Shimano DX shoes have lasted really well- bought as new old stock so could be an older/stronger version?

forse
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member
    My SPD ones (I don’t ride on noob pedals) are over 3 years old and haven’t even lost a stitch yet.

Sam Hill…………Noob? 😉

dudeofdoom

i like my sombio shazams ….. Bought them as I didnt want to spend 100quid on 510s just to kill them in the winter and 35 wasn’t a bad price but am finding them more pleasant than I expected….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Five Ten – smooth bottoms?’ is closed to new replies.