Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • five ten shoes are they worth the money?
  • chvck
    Free Member

I also have the 5:10 Sam Hills and they’ve lasted a couple of winters and been in the washing machine a few times. They’ve also been fully submerged in puddles and streams/rivers a few times. They’re still in one piece and are fine. I do dry them in an airing cupboard after getting them wet though so maybe that makes a difference?
    I do experience the “too grippy” thing where I put my foot in the wrong place and then end up unable to move it to somewhere I want it!

I got them as a birthday present and I’m not sure I’d buy a pair myself, they are good but they’re too much money for me really!

bwaarp
    Free Member

This 5.10 is supposed to keep the water out a fair bit better than the others based on various peoples experiences.

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/10107-karver-smokey-blue

Personally I love 5.10’s, your feet stay glued to the pedals smashing through rock gardens. There is a technique to changing the foot position though, you have to lift/go light on your foot a bit to move them. It really isn’t hard though. I also find playing with the pin setup in my flats helps.

keithyr
    Free Member

i have the 5.10 karvers mentioned earlier. They are good at keeping the wet out but they are bulky, heavy and when they do get wet take ages to dry out. the main plus point is they are they are very grippy on my easton flatboys.

currently prefering my merrell gortex shoes with a vibram sole. not as grippy but lighter.

One thing i noticed when going between the two shoes, i have to raise the saddle height a 1/2 inch or so when going to the 5.10’s.

had the 5.10s a year or so and the heel cup is falling apart, lace eyelet broken etc.

overall i thought they were great initially but over time and use have noticed their faults.

my next pair of shoes will either be shimano AM41s or oneal triggers i think.

thepurist

Throwing in a curve-ball : Sombrio. I got a pair (discounted) to replace AM40s – 6 fairly crappy months later they soles are still pretty much like new, the grip is at least as good as the Shimanos, the construction seems really sound and they’re not sponge-like. I’ve got the Shazam with the lace cover and the only bit that seems to get wet is the padded area round the ankle, but that dries pretty quick.

deanfbm
    Free Member

thepurist- those sombrio look interesting, how flexy is the sole? I like a soft flexible sole.

chakaping
    Free Member

wrong thread

theyak
    Free Member

TheYak says don’t be so stupid. Skate shoes ain’t worth £80.

thepurist

deanfbm – they’ve got a bit of give but nothing like as soft as a pair of Vans.

deanfbm
    Free Member

thepurist – rubbish, thought i had found my fiveten replacement

The construction on 510s has got better, very good on the new danny macs. IMO the only shoes worth considering in the range a their more skate style freerider/baron/danny mac, dont get so heavy when wet, dry easier than the prescription models. The prescription models are just clogs too.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Jedi, too stiff, really, well that,s my 5.10’s gone int bin then.
    I use a set for motorcycling too and for walking in and find they are soggy when through deep water.
    Look understated and wear comfortable and are wearing ok longevity wise.

Have had both impacts high and low for past 3 yrs and latest ones for motorcycling last 2 years so pretty chuffed as I kill shoes within 6months of core use most sets.

8/10 for performance and wear, 6/10 for vfm.

You pays your money, you takes your choice wherever your fancy leads.

dingabell
    Free Member

I’ve got two pairs and I love them. Wear them all year round and I don’t think they get any more soggy than anyone else’s shoes. In fact they seem to keep my feet warmer than most when it gets really cold.

dingabell
    Free Member

I’ve got two pairs and I love them. Wear them all year round and I don’t think they get any more soggy than anyone else’s shoes. In fact they seem to keep my feet warmer than most when it gets really cold.

weeksy

Well worth it IMO. Grreat shoe. I had some reservations due to people ripping the soles, but i’ve had mine a year and 2500miles now.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of Immpacts for about six years now, the best shoes i’ve worn, I previously tried various skate shoes and Shimano (Can’t mind which ones), the soles are the grippiest around, the stiffness of the soles give a far better feel than the skate shoes where you can feel the pins pushing through the soles.

They do leak (no worse than skate shoes and sealskins sort this)and are a bit heavy but worth it for the grip levels, I don’t hold with the opinion you only need grip in certain poor conditions, you slip a pedal in any conditions and it’s usually bad news, often leading to a crash.

The soles on mine are fine, almost perfect after loads of use, the uppers are falling to bits but I’m still wearing them, hoping for Santa to bring me a new pair, I’ll probably never wear any other riding shoe.

tomd
    Free Member

I got a pair of 5:10 impacts recently. They were reduced a bit but still expensive.

Awful, awful pair of shoes. The grip is great, and they fit me well. However, they never ever dry and the cardboard insole bit has disintegrated after a few rides. People keep saying they never dry, well they don’t. Ever. I have a ski boot air drier thing and it doesn’t even do the job. After the last wet ride it took a week to get them dry using a mixture of shoe drier and radiator. Even then the cardboard is gubbed. I’m seriously considering binning them. Cost per use is £15 vs £0.50 for the cheapo skateshoes I had before.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just had the cardboard midsole drop out of mine which was probably for the best actual as due to them taking forever to dry, the cardboard had gone mouldy.

I doubt I’ll be using them again. I actually switch back to spds in the winter as disco slippers dry better.

sam42
    Free Member

Vans gravel FTW… Had a set of freeriders, awesome grip but as mentioned, all the water proofing aof a sieve, the vans have they’re own take on the sticky rubber sole which is nice and grippy and they’re a lot stiffer than 5:10s which I find better for pedalling.

gribble
    Free Member

I rate them. Have got a pair of freeriders I think, they grip well and are comfy.

They do not seem to absorb water like my old 661 skate shoes, which were like a sponge and fell apart at the sole (as well as being massively heavy).

Expensive, but worth it.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘five ten shoes are they worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.