• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by d00m.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Five Ten Impact Low – recommend me alternatives to these please…
  • wl
    Free Member

Just gone through my fourth pair of Impact Lows. I like them, but they’re bloody heavy and never last more than around 12-18 months. Can anyone suggest an alternative, either from Five Ten or another brand. Need to be very grippy, good in the UK all year round, and ok for hike-a-biking up big mountains. I’m thinking of other Five Tens, or Tevas, or maybe even those weird-looking sci-fi Shimano things. Cheaper the better, but I’ll pay for quality. Ta v much.

jam-bo

Vans gravel. Well impressed so far.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 pairs of shimanos and the imitation leather ends up cracking up and getting all holey after 12 months. And they stretch quite a bit. I have 5Ten freeridererers now and prefer them, although Shimnaos are way better in wetness until they fall apart.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I really want some Vans Gravels myself. But where the hell can I get some in a size 10? Where did you get yours jam bo?

pictonroad

I love the fit and comfort of the shimanos and they’re pretty much weatherproof. However, the new Vibram soles are far too soft and the pedal pins have destroyed them in a year. Such a shame, the uppers are briliant and there was nothing wrong with the old non-vibram soles.

can’t recommend them, I’m in the same boat, need something new…

jam-bo

Where did you get yours jam bo?

bike24. they were on sale. I think I had the last 9’s

wl
    Free Member

Seems insane that no one makes anything that ticks all of a few obvious boxes. The Gravel look good, but they’re fairly expensive and I’ve read they come apart, plus have air holes which let water in. I need a proper all-year, all-mountain trail shoe, really.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Another Vans Gravel users here – getting a bit knackered now though.
    Am tempted by the Five Ten XVi Elements when they make an appearance in the autumn

wilko1999
    Free Member

Cheers, looks like bike24 are completely sold out now. CRC have a few small sizes, and Amazon list up to Euro 44 (UK 9.5) which is half a size too small! Have to stick with Five Tens for the time being I think

gordi
    Free Member

Vans Gravels for me but still use the 5 10s for downhill.I got mine from Vans.co.uk,size 10 about 3 months ago.

d00m
    Free Member

Have to agree with pictonroad. My Shimanos have lasted a little over 6 months – nukeproof electrons have destroyed the soles. They’re currently back with Madison for inspection. Great shoes – comfortable, weatherproof and very grippy but the sole issues mean that I won’t be buying any more.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I use Impact low’s too, bought a pair of these a few weeks ago & im amazed at how good they are:

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Agree on shimano, brilliant shoes sadly eaten by pedals (esp. Easton flatboys, my Wah Wahs don’t seem to have added any wear). There’s been PSA threads with cheap Teva Link equivalents recently if you do a search.

Edit-

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/45845/Teva-Links-Mid-Shoes-2013—Red—Sale.html

wallop

The shimanos aren’t still enough in the sole, IMO, in comparison to Five Tens.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Depends whether you ser that as a positive or negative- I ditched impact lows as I like flexible soles with feel, and different five tens have different soles and stiffnesses.

Northwind

Freeriders are a better allround shoe than Impacts IMO, less clumpy, less terrible in the wet, and far better lifespan… I’d not buy another Impact, but I could see me spending more money on Freeriders.

I’m loving my Sombrios, the Slants are merely very good, the Shazams are bloomin superb, the best winter flat shoe by a bazillion miles. Neither is as grippy as a Five Ten, but really who cares? May be hard to find now (gutted I didn’t buy some more!)

spacemonkey1
    Free Member

I just use a old pair of Off the wall Vans, when it gets wet I use my water proof socks with them. Never had any problems with grip on my B54’s

d00m
    Free Member

As a footnote, Madison actually replaced my shimano shoes after inspecting them. It seems that they agreed with me that 6-7 months to destroy the sole was unacceptable.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Five Ten Impact Low – recommend me alternatives to these please…’ is closed to new replies.