• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gren.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Five Ten Freerider vs Freerider VXi
  • Scapegoat

I have a pair of Freerider shoes. Great grip, until I wore the sole flat. On Sunday’s playing out I lost the pedal twice and have the marks on my shin to show for it. I’ve therefore decided the kids can go without meat for a week or two and I’ll treat myself to a new pair. Shopping around I see that there is now a VXi model. Can anyone tell me how they compare? I see the VXi are leather, but are they lighter as a result, more weatherproof, and most important of all, are they as grippy and stiff as the originals?

wiggles
    Free Member

I have the new impact vxi and they are not waterproof. Great shoes though…

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I have the old freeriders which were ace although quite a fat shoe. They are pretty knackered now so a couple of months ago I got some freerider vxis. Good but to me no as grippy at the original freeriders so a week ago I picked up some new style freeriders for a bargain £56 and they are the best so far. Slimmer design so less crank rub but the same grip as the original freeriders. So I would say get the standard freeriders,they are a bit cheaper than vxis too.

downhilldave

Love my VXi elements.Lighter than my Freeriders and dry very quickly.Can be a bit slippy if it’s muddy with the smooth mid section.Had Karver’s and Teva links, VXi best by far for me.

cardo

Recently got my hands on a pair of Freerider VXi elements having owned a set of Impact lows … The new sole does allow you to reposition your foot once you’re on the fly which with the older style stealth sole you had to physically lift your foot off the pedal and back again.. The grip when moving is enough to keep your foot where you need it, I have caught myself thinking I was clipped in and trying to pull up on the climbs 😳
    Not as chunky as the older style shoe either which I prefer as I found the impacts a bit clumsy and hefty and behaved like sponges, so far on the wet rides the elements have been brill. I like them.

chrisridesbikes
    Free Member

Do any of the current five10 line-up have non cardboard Innerds? My current freeriders take an age to dry and the cardboard has deteriorated through wet rides so the soles are now really flexible..

Loved them but i don’t want to replace with anything made from cardboard this time!

chiefgrooveguru

Do any of the current five10 line-up have non cardboard Innerds? My current freeriders take an age to dry and the cardboard has deteriorated through wet rides so the soles are now really flexible..

My VXi Elements dry faster than my AM40s or Links.

coogan
    Free Member

My new VXi dry way quicker than the old style versions. And have found them pretty waterproof. Old style were awesome but like wearing sponges in the wet.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

I still have trouble moving my feet around with the VXi. Grippy as a good thing.

Scapegoat

Thanks for all the replies. If the soles are still grippy with the flat area on the VXi then the fact they are slipping may have more to do with my technique, or even the pedal pins. The sole isn’t paper thin yet, it’s just that a the dimples on the ball of the foot are flattened off. It looks like the 2014 Freeriders might be the way to go if I do need to change them, although I like the sound of the quicker drying Elements/VXi version.

gren
    Free Member

New Elements versions are great. I’ve got the non Vxi standard Freerider Elements. They keep out the worst of the weather and keep your toes a bit warmer – still fine to wear at 20 degrees as well

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Five Ten Freerider vs Freerider VXi’ is closed to new replies.