Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Five minute Audi Quattro road side gearbox swap
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/ol_ieWX8SxE[/video]

This is outstanding teamwork. The Audi drove 50km flat out in second gear to meet a service crew who had to swap the gearbox on the roadside, with no power tools, in five minutes. You can see the need for leather welding gloves to remove the exhaust.

Andy-R

Impressive – but then I love stuff like that.

shermer75
    Free Member

**** me that was impressive! Ho they managed to do that without an injury I’ll never know. I lost sound at 6.30- same for everyone else?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sadly no sound after 6.30 for me either.

I doubt my kettle would boil in five minutes for the pre task assessment cuppa

cardo

very little sucking through teeth and scratching of heads.. impressive stuff

richmars

I like the bit when he dropped the old box on his chest, and somehow managed to lift the new one up into position. Must weigh 30-40Kg at least?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Below is a comment from the Facebook post I found the video on

This video is from the 1988 Jordan Rally and their was only one cameraman taking all the footage and not once did he get in the way. The whole team was well organised to carry this out. The change was done on the side of the main Desert Highway outside of the main Team Hotel at approximately 7pm after a full day in the desert stages. The car had just done over 50 kms flat out stuck in Second Gear. The team crew turned up with three in the Service van, Audi chase car had 4 crew members and a Taxi bringing the remaining team. How do I know this?………….. My old man was the one Chief engineers of the team and was seem sharing a cigarette with some of the mechanics at the end (wearing the shortage with a Rothmans shirt). Some of the team are still in Motorsport today.

neilwheel
    Free Member

This one has sound all the way through.

[video]https://youtu.be/QI_7y2TILeI[/video]

(If you go to 8.20, the team manager says 15 minutes, top job that.)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Loved the good old days. Was very lucky as a kid to meet a few of the drivers and see a lot of uk stages first hand.

pondo

I contend (and have contended for many years) that watching anyone with talent do something well, whether it be ride a bike down a hill, score drop goal from 40 yards, knock a world champion boxer out with a stunning right hook, play a guitar solo that makes your hair stand on end, perforn a monologue that positively grabs you by the lapels, or change a gearbox on a rally car by the roadside in 15 minutes – I contend that all of them are a form of performance art and all equally as enthralling.

redmex
    Free Member

Im not one of Audis biggest fans, remember seeing Hannu Mikkola break the steering on the first corner Scottish Rally 1982 reversed up the stage lost 8 mins yet still beat the two wheel drive Asconas over the line
    My one and only time at Strathclyde park
    Same with the touring cars the 4 wheel drive Audi dire to watch almost as bad as the diesel Seats

leffeboy

I think they had done that before 🙂
    Impressive the way that everyone had the bits in place and ready to go but still under control and not getting in the way and flap free

TheDTs
    Free Member

Good work, all very calm wasn’t it no panicking. Driver looked chilled out too.
    Liked that they all sparked up after. Free fags in team Rothman then?

matt_outandabout

Brilliant stuff.

ourmaninthenorth

Absolutely brilliant.

Complete agree with Pondo.

I also loved the Quattros rallying. Something to with my father having two ur Quattros in the mid 80s.

Gary_C

Err…If you watch the video that’s got sound all the way through, you’ll hear that it took fifteen minutes to do the ‘box change.

sbob
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member

I doubt my kettle would boil in five minutes for the pre task assessment cuppa

😆

Lovely sentiment pondo. 🙂

Rockhopper
    Free Member

They do little mods to the car to make things like this possible such as cutting all the bolts short so that only just enough goes into the nut which makes them quicker to remove.

globalti
    Free Member

Wow, it would have taken me 15 minutes just to get the first rusty bolt undone on my Landy.

ourmaninthenorth

Sent the vid to my Dad.

His response: “The gaffer is Dave Sutton.”

Dave Sutton Motorsport in Daventry was where he had his Quattros serviced and where the works Group B cars were prepped. Sadly I was away at school so never got to visit….

NZCol

Different age eh ? Absolutely amazing to watch, brilliant.

mark90
    Free Member

Wow, it would have taken me 15 minutes just to get the first rusty bolt undone on my Landy.

I’ve been up half the night changing a Landy gearbox during a FIA cross country rally. That was without rusted bolts to contend with, just lots of sand. There was no way I was bench pressing an LT85 into place! 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Five minute Audi Quattro road side gearbox swap’ is closed to new replies.