• This topic has 78 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ste_t.
Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Five Guys
  • benmotogp46
    Free Member

Best London Burger for me is Honest Burger followed closely by Patty & Bun then Meat Liquer / Market.

Still yet to try Bleeker, Lucky Chip, Dirty Burger, Bread Street Kitchen and The Admiral Codrington (known for their limited edition burgers).

I try and go somewhere different on each visit I make during gigs. I don’t think I’d even bother with Five Guys but that’s not to say they’re bad, just not as good as the others mentioned.

If it’s Pizza though, Pizza Pilgrims every time but Homeslice is the next stop for me….

poolman
    Free Member

thanks for above posts – I was about to try 5 guys in Kingston when I am over for a rugby weekend later this month. I saw the queues at the Covent Gdn branch & would never q for a burger – or pay 15 gbp for 1 either.

In n out – I remember it well in LA 15 years ago, top burgers never made it over to UK.

Honest burger or Boston burger in Borough Mkt, the latter does a breakfast sausage & egg in a bap, 5 quid, best I’ve had.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“In n out – I remember it well in LA 15 years ago, top burgers never made it over to UK.”

A californian institution. The guys at bakersfield raved about them. wasnt really taken by it – just a.n.Other burger.

Gotts in the ferry terminal in san francisco was excellent – as were most of the food outlets inthe ferry terminal.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flange
    Free Member

I’m currently sat in the Worst building of the year (Fenchurch ST) and have drinks after work. On the basis that I’ll be hank following two pints of warm weak beer from the Folly, where’s the best place to grab a burger? Can’t be far as I’m leaving Londres from Cannon St

ratherbeintobago

Gotts in the ferry terminal in san francisco was excellent – as were most of the food outlets inthe ferry terminal.

Well, of course that’s normal for ferry terminals (see also the oggy wagon on the Devonport side of the Torpoint ferry)

Ro5ey
    Free Member

50 quid lighter for for a family meal of 4 !!

Was pretty good to be fair …

But will not rush back

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can’t believe The Cod got a mention in this thread!

#oldhaunt

nickstikits
    Free Member

My kids like to visit the Covent Garden one when we’re in the smoke but last time I encountered a very long human hair running right through my burger, have a voucher for a free meal but not on a hurry to go back.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just stupidly expensive is my view. The food is a step up from MuckyD/BK but it’s served in an environment that’s not much different. Wrap the burger in foil to make it look fancy but then is that any different from a gastropub serving your burger on a chopping board? At least the latter will get you a nicer environment and a beer for £15 vs the £15 it cost me for burger fries and sugary fizzy drink eating in a fast food style place.

wrecker
    Free Member

Grillstock Lockjaw burger. £14.50.
    Two 5oz burgers, pulled pork, beef brisket, burnt ends,
    melted cheese, house pickles & fry sauce
    No drink though.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Need to get around to having a Grillstock. Got Beef in Cardiff are good for gourmet hipster burgers but the best burger I ever did have was at the Chuck Norris Grill in Reykjavik.

LMT
    Free Member

Overpriced and took forever to get the food in the one in Bullring, wouldn’t go again. Could of got a better meal and a beer and less wait at Nando’s!

Did find a place in Dublin Bobo’s I think it was just outside the temple bar area, the burgers in there immense!! Man Vs Food quality burgers!

wrecker
    Free Member

The sign of a proper BBQ place is the Brisket and grillstocks is very good. Reds in Leeds and Manchester is great too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

brisket …..

the raven smokehouse in glasgow is a favorite for the uk.

when in texas im a big rudys bbq truck stop fan !

juanking

Trailrat, hit a Rudy’s last weekend as you say the brisket is fabulous. Proper rough and ready joint but grand BBQ food and interesting people watching (but not too closely…)

annebr
    Free Member

I’ve always avoided Five Guys because the only one I know of is in Covent Garden and there always seems to be a queue of tourists at the door waiting to go in.

I don’t do queues.

ratherbeintobago

Reds in Leeds and Manchester is great too.

Red’s in Manchester was great, but why would you go there and have a burger (as opposed to pulled pork/ribs/other things that are a ball-ache to do at home)?

tomd
    Free Member

I just can’t enjoy these fancy burger places knowing I could have got an edible burger and a nice pint of ale in Wetherspoons for half the price.

ojom
    Free Member

Had one in Edinburgh, it was at best average. Weirdly expensive fries.

However, turned veggie about 8 weeks ago and counting and really can’t stomach the thought of eating a burger.

CHB

5 Guys in Florida is a real treat and not too expensive.
    £8 is the most I could ever pay for a burger…maybe £10 if it had sides and needed 2 two whole sides of Kobe beef to make it.

yunki
    Free Member

Just done a little bit of sick in my mouth…
    CFH’s photo is vile..

This is the most American Psycho thread of the week

ratherbeintobago

I just can’t enjoy these fancy burger places knowing I could have got an edible burger and a nice pint of ale in Wetherspoons for half the price.

Mmmm zebu burger…

chorlton
    Free Member

What the bloody hell spewed that up wrecker? Immediately thought of the alien in The Thing. 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Had a 5 Guys earlier, I love it! £25.90 for 2 burgers, fries to share and 2 soft drinks. Still don’t think that’s that bad.

MrSmith
    Free Member

You get to people watch the ruddy faced alcoholic jock/paddy semi-retired builders spend their hard earned too. Double win 🙂

rene59
    Free Member

Aye, and the jock and paddy builders get to watch the poncy limp wristed southerners who don’t have the balls to call them jock and paddy to their face.

Triple win 🙂

ratherbeintobago

You get to people watch the ruddy faced alcoholic jock/paddy semi-retired builders spend their hard earned too. Double win

And the muppets minesweepers, though that might just have been Wetherspoons in Halifax.

steveoath
    Free Member

What’s GBK?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Aye, and the jock and paddy builders get to watch the poncy limp wristed southerners who don’t have the balls to call them jock and paddy to their face.

that’s the art of people watching, you don’t interact, you just observe, as a half ‘n half paddyjock I like to see my fellow countrymen at leisure.

Gourmet Burger Kitchen BTW

DrJ

I’ve always avoided Five Guys because the only one I know of is in Covent Garden and there always seems to be a queue of tourists at the door waiting to go in.

This +1

I don’t do queues.

This +1000

wrecker
    Free Member

What the bloody hell spewed that up wrecker? Immediately thought of the alien in The Thing.

It’s bloody magnificent is what it is. A thing of beauty.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

that’s the art of people watching, you don’t interact, you just observe, as a half ‘n half paddyjock I like to see my fellow countrymen at leisure.

And be a prick about it on the Internet.

Social skills FTW.

MrSmith
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TYhQ5BJMZkk[/video]

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ah, Grillstock! Had one when I was in Bath last year, big fan 🙂

And seriously, Wetherspoons food is shite. Better than a few places granted but better than utter shite doth not good food make.

mefty
    Free Member

I don’t do queues.
    This +1000

That’s a big queue

allfankledup

5 guys, feeding a family of four

2 hot dogs for the kids, mini burger for the lady, burger for me ( for the uninitiated a mini burger has one patty, a regular burger has two – don’t ask me why), one large portion of fries and one drink

The fries come in a large cup in the bag – the cup is filled by putting the cup in the bag, and then blindly filling it. Most fries end up in the bag, missing the cup. Enough to feed four.

When their are five of us, two drinks, two portions of fries.

It is still bleeding tasty, and quick. Preferred to maccy d and their cardboard burgers (I do like a mcchicken sandwich type thing though…)

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Had the one in Bristol and really liked it. Not cheap (about a fiver for the burger I think), but tastes really good. The meat seemed good quality and I liked all the options.

However, I think Fat Burger wipes the floor with it! Way better IMO.

hammerite
    Free Member

I’ve been a fan of GBK for a while, but not been for a year or two. Judging by the comments on here they may have gone downhill.

I noticed a 5 Guys in MK the yesterday (wouldn’t have seen it but seeing this thread on here drew my attention to it). I’ll have to give it a go but will be expecting to be less than whelmed based on the STW collective reviews.

ste_t
    Free Member

I think 5 guys is great, expensive, but as a treat now and again I can’t fault it.

That said, I have a course in London next week and I’m genuinely excited about going to Honest Burgers before getting the train home

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Five Guys’ is closed to new replies.