Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Five and Fox 36 Vanillas
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Anyone riding a five with 36 Vanillas?

I have the 140 float 32s at the moment but my riding has progressed to bigger stuff in the last few months and I think I would prefer the bigger front fork.

Im struggling to find some 36 floats anywhere reasonable and cant afford new but I've come across a few pairs of discounted 36 vanilla Rs.

Anyone running these on a 5 – im 15st too if that helps.

Im I better holding off for some 36 floats or talas at a later date.

skiboy
    Free Member

try si at progressive-bikes on here, i got a new set of van 36 rc2 from him a few months back 280 cheaper than anywhere else at the time.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Freeborn are currently offering Float R 36s for £640, which isn't cheap but is pretty good.
    The biggest issue will be weight as the Vans are noticeably heavier; certainly not so much as to be an issue just in itself, but if the bike is already creeping up over the 30lb mark and you’re trying to keep it down below that, then the Float will make a difference to that.
    The Float is good enough for pretty much any application you’d need in my view; it’s unlikely that you’d be racing it so unless you want a ‘freeride’ bike, god forbid, then the Float is the one.
    The real benefit IMO, apart from being a lot lighter, is that you can actually adjust the travel down in 10mm increments, so you don’t have to run it at 160mm and have a chopper five; you can run it at maybe a more appropriate 150mm or simply just 140mm.
    Just a thought.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i'd stick with a float 36 or a van 36, i've a 2010 talas 36 on my five, but have trouble getting the sag and air pressures right; it just doesn't sag properly with all those seals in it

i'd like to try a float 36 set at 150mm

carbon337
    Free Member

So you can ruN 36 floats at 150? That sounds ideal.

I am using it for a bit freeride type riding to be honest – although im not very good.

stevede
    Free Member

Chunkypaul – have you thought about getting some float internals put into your talas to convert them? Pretty sure it can be done.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

didn't realise this was an option, i wonder if Van internals would work as well…

geetee1972
    Free Member

Carbon – yes you can run 160mm Floats at 150mm and yes, that would be ideal for a Five as it sounds like you need the burl and stiffness of the fork, not so much the travel right? That makes perfect sense.

You reduce the travel by using small plastic spacers inside the fork. They go down in 10mm increments, all the way to 100mm if you wanted. You can order the fork from your LBS with them fitted or do it at home, which I am told is reltively straight forward for someone with reasonable mechanic's skills. You need to take the fork apart but that's actually a lot easier than it sounds because I think all the important stuff is sealed away inside a cartridge.

carbon337
    Free Member

Excellent Geetee – now that just leaves me with the task of finding a 2nd hand set somewhere.

36 Floats wanted – email in profile.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Five and Fox 36 Vanillas’ is closed to new replies.