Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fitting tyres STRAIGHT on a rim ?
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

Just can’t get my tyres to sit right ! Anyone got a SIMPLE FOOLPROOF way as it’s doing my head in !!

i’ve got BONTRAGER 27.5 tubeless rims with BONTRAGER tyres but using tubes. I took them off to try some other tyres but didn’t like them so, SIMPLY, trying to put it back how it was.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Bit of washing up liquid round the bead then pump up til they pop into place.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1kg tube of tyre fitting soap and a stiff brush. Never have any bother, but pretty much any soap will do.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Bit of washing up liquid round the bead then pump up til they pop into place.

plus and I pump to 40psi to get a good fit, leave overnight adjust to 20 next day

kerley
    Free Member

I have even found just putting water on the bead can do it but soapy solution will be more guaranteed to work.

BillMC

I saw a useful Youtube vid on precisely this.

njee20
    Free Member

Bontrager are particularly bad for it, some sort of lubricant is a good shout.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Cheers guys, that sounds good. Hey Billmc, you can’t find a link to that YouTube clip can you ?

takisawa2

Assume you mean how to get them so they’re radially concentric to the rim…
    Bugs me too. 🙂

I’ve a gap between two paving slabs. Put about 10psi in then wedge the tyre in. Then flex the tyre side to side till it sits concentric. Then pump it up hard, 40psi, overnight.

If this sounds like the actions of a nerd, I apologise. 🙂

misterduncan
    Free Member

Get about 10-15 psi in, then work around the rim giving it a good hard massage from both sides. May also work for a lover.

scaredypants

most people don’t call their inflatables a “lover”, MrD

deviant
    Free Member

Haha…loving the OCD on this thread!…to be honest it bugs me when i look down at my front tyre and its not seated ‘straight’ on the rim too…as it rotates it gives the impression the wheel is buckled, which it isnt obviously but i find it distracting for the rest of the ride and usually end up buggering about with it when i get home….i still use tubes so i put the tyre on, pump it up a few psi then squeeze the tyre away from the edge of the rim all the way round. add a few more psi, squeeze tyre together between my hands and away from edge of rim again….repeat until you have the desired pressures and the tyre will usually sit straight.

I’m sure having the tyre not quite true on the rim isnt an issue performance wise but again the OCD part of me tends to think that the tread isnt quite hitting the ground perfectly as the designer intended it to and bizarrely enough this does then play on my mind and hamper the way i’ll ride and the speed i hit stuff….all psychological i’m sure but tyres are my nemesis from a psych point of view and stems from my motorcycle days when a crappy set of tyres was instantly noticeable and borderline dangerous to ride with….obviously things arent that dramatic with MTBs but old habits die hard!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Bonty tyres and rims can be a nightmare to seat. Lube the tyre and pump it up to 80 psi or less if it pops into place earlier . We have a park tool for seating tyres but sometimes it still needs a good wrestle to get a tyre to seat.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Thanks again for all the response. Glad it’s not just me !! It’s just stopped raining so I’m going to give it ANOTHER go.
    I was pretty sure I’d seen a tool for doing this somewhere so I might check out Park, thanks Neil

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fitting tyres STRAIGHT on a rim ?’ is closed to new replies.